2009 Catfishing vs. Years past.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bigkane, Aug 28, 2009.

1. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    This is my first year back to fishing in 15yrs and I was curious if this has been a good year or a bad year compared to years past. So far most of my bites have came from mosquitoes.:smile2:

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Average to above average here in Western Pa.The fish have been hitting good,it,s the weather that hasn,t cooperated.:wink:

3. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Spring and early summer where above average for me, This summer has been about the same witch is slow and smaller fish,, Cant wait till the fall bite kicks in...:wink: All in all this has been my best year fishing for cats.. :big_smile: ive nailed a PB in all the cat species,,
    31lb flatty
    11lb channel
    4.5 white
    and the pic above 50lb blue:roll_eyes:
    Puddle

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    The fishing here isn't as good but I'm better so I contribute my catches to experience. I cant complain, I've broke 4 Pb's this year, 2 on Blues and 2 on flats. My 13# channel still holds...for now ; )

-Jim-

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    id have to say this year has been worst as far as quantity of fish and i normally catch at least a few big ones a year but has yet to happen this year so,its still not over yet so will see what happens heck it only takes one good one to make it a season of a lifetime.:wink:

6. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Winter and early spring this year were really good. We didn't catch as many giant fish 50 and over but we did get a bunch of fish from 30 to 50. Summer has been the usual bunch of small fish and occasional big fish. We boated a 38,29 and 43 this summer for the big blues and hundreds and hundreds of 1 to 5 pound channels. I cant wait for the water to cool off some so we can get back on the big fish.

7. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I haven't caughten very large numbers of fish this year compared to the years past but the quality and size of fish I've caught this year were considerably better

8. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    Way above average. The water in the Missiouri river has been high. I've taken about 200 eating size. Mostly channels. Now you know what friends and relatives get to eat when they come here.

9. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I'd say way above average for me too. I don't live in the best state for big catfish, and bank fish at a lake, so its hard to pack up and move easily if they aren't biting. But this year I have not had to. I love to catch channels between 12" and 25" for the table, this year I have gotten 63 in limited trips out, compared to 31 last summer with many more trips last year than this. I credit this to what I have learned here (thanks to all the helpful members), the cool Michigan summer, and Secret-7 dip bait which I used almost exclusively this summer to catch the eaters. I should be set for the winter with enough fish in the freezer, I love them baked... Good old clean Michigan waters have very few health warnings in my area.

10. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    For me spring and early summer was great with lots of fish and good size also.Last 6 to 8 weeks has been very slow though.Hope fall bite starts soon.:smile2:

11. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    This year has sucked for me:sad2:

12. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I would have to say average to fair.

13. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    i must say, i think this was a good,and interesting thread:wink: This has been my best year( out of all 3 years ive been catfishing:roll_eyes::smile2: )i didnt get a new pb, but i did get more nice fish, just not new pb,i did get 3, 24 pounders this year, blues:cool2: my pb for blue is 38, and for a pb flat,it would to be 30 lbs.heck i forget what a flat fights like now, haven t got one over 8 lbs YET this year:confused2::embarassed::embarassed::big_smile::smile2::cool2:

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I only have caught one catfish this year! but I have not been doing much fishing.

15. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well for me it has been a great year. It is also my first year with my own boat so my fish catching has gone up like 10,000%! I broke my PB like 8 times this season and am now up to 41lbs!

16. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    I had the best season in my life. High water and You great guys have made my success in pulling in a lot of eating size cats. Thanks guys! The information made a big difference.:big_smile:

17. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    Same Here thank the poor economy because thats the reason i get to fish 4 times a week. Caught more big channels this year than ever before. Until the last 6 weeks or so I was averaging 5 to 7 channels from 4 to 15lbs a night

18. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    This year has been bittersweet for me.
    I didn't catch crap in April, May, June, and July.
    In August and September, I totaled 10 flathead over 25 lbs.

2009 has been a good year for me.:cool2:

19. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    This year has been more frustrating than normal. I have caught quite a few blues in the 20-30lb range and one over 50lb, but catching bait this year has been for some reason very difficult. I only bank fish and have usually caught my bait in the same area I fish the same morning. This year I have had more mornings that I prefer catching no bait along the river bank. But the best time of year to catch blues around here is just around the corner. So I am not finished yet.

20. festus

festus New Member

It's been a disappointing year for me (for catfish, that is) because my two best fishing holes are off limits to bank fishermen. But I have been very satisfied with fishing for stripers, white bass, bluegill, and crappie.

1) Fly ash sludge spill at Kingston Steam Plant-Clinch River. TVA goofed up and didn't upgrade some of their dikes and pretty much ruined a big section of the Emory River. No one is allowed in there, and there's limited bank fishing on the other side of the lake. This happened last December and was definitely not a good Christmas present. Whenever they draw the water down, things should get better on the other side.

2) Upgrading at Bull Run Steam Plant on the Clinch. TVA figured they better get their act together to prevent another disaster. There is limited bank access at the outflow, but the prime spot across the railroad tracks is off limits. TVA was issuing warning tickets for criminal trespassing, I got one myself. They didn't even have any signs posted is what angered me. :angry: I did very well over there before I received the warning citation. Heck, I've even heard of boat fishermen being chased out. :angry:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009