2008 on the Ohio was bad....

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by repoman3809, Jan 5, 2009.

Rate your winter catfishing on the Ohio River....

1. Better than ever

2. Good

3. Average

4. Below Average

5. The worst ever

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Ok I seen a lot of guys who say they had a bad year on the Ohio. Fishing conditions were rough most of the year. With the onset of winter a lot of us thought the bite for blues would change. Conditions lately have been much better compared to the summer. October and November were good, but the bite has gone back to sh!t or at least for me.

Above is a poll were you can rate your winter. Also post any ideas why it's been, what it's been for you?

2. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    BTW I voted the worst ever. Why did I vote this way? Well the last 5 trips out I havent caught a single fish. In these trips I have tried everything I could think of. I switched depths, switched baits, switched rigs, I've fished with other guys(so yea dont fish with me, you'll go home empty handed), so forth and so on.... I just cant seem to get em to bite, even when I'm fishing spots their loaded up underneath me and seeing my bait on the graph, hit em in the nose.

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    The very beginning of last year, january and feburary were awesome, its all down hill from there...:confused2: I think all the fish from dowtown up to new richmond are allergic to shad and skips...lol

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It wouldn't be fair for myself to vote becuase I made only a couple trips to the Ohio River last spring and summer, and I think he is basing this on blues it sounds, but the flatheads seemed to be fairly active, atleast on the end of the Ohio River I fish... looking forward to reading the responses here....rollo

5. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Thanks catfishrollo....obviously the last few months has been a blue issue. But I do target both throughout the year. I seem to do better with the blues as a whole, for whatever reason. But this year in general has been bad for both(or at least for me).

I had planned on taking a vacation soon, get to another river/lake hire a guide and have a little fun. Now I'm starting to think maybe I need to just get a really good guide somewhere on the Ohio for a few days, see if he can instill some knowledge, rack his brain and learn how he does things. Though I worry he would just be taking me to some baited holes and not doing much to help my situation.

Regardless....anyone have any suggestions as to a good Ohio River guide?

6. Kat-addict

Kat-addict New Member

State:
    ohio
    I voted below average for "winter" time and If I was voting for the rest of 2008 I would vote far below average. We had a hard time putting any kind of pattern together at all this year ! The previous years were good for us or at least a lot better than this one.

I don't know if this really holds true or not but here's a little story for all. I used to fish a weekly bass tourney here on the Ohio near a lot of the same places that I cat fish. For 2 years if you didn't have 20 pounds of bass( between 2 guys) you could forget being in the money ! The last year that I fished these tourney's if you had a couple of dinks you had a good shot of winning !! A very good bass fisherman told me that he noticed over the years that the river would run in cycles....a couple good years, then a couple of mediocre years followed by a terrible year. How true that is I really don't know for sure yet,but I can tell ya this, by the middle of next year I will know if this cycle ran the course that the fella told me about. I just hope to goodness that this was the terrible year and not the mediocre years...lol. By the way the bass fishing I am speaking of took place in the early 90's.

Anyone hear of such a thing?? Someone please tell me that this was the lousy year and that next will be awesome !! LOL

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Next year will be awesome!!! Just wanted to make you feel better.:wink:

8. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Smart ass! LOL There is no doubt that this was the worse year for us. NO Doubt. Im thinkin bout the guide thing to but am just as afraid as repoman about the guide just taking me to a honey hole. When I am having trouble catching fish on a Friday morning I want to be able to call the guide and tell him "okay, come to where I am right now and show me what im doing wrong". Thing is you may go out with the guide on a day that you could have slayed them with the knowledge you already have. I can tell you right now though, Randy and i spent so much money on gas this year with failed fishing trips I would have payed a lot of money for someone to help me out then. We had NO good days this summer. One fish here one there. Made me really feel like less of a fisherman than what I thought I was thats for sure. Its nice to see that everyone seems to have had the same sort of results so far though.

9. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Hey Randy, if this is our bad year(and I hope it is), seems like every other body of water is having there best year(or at least winter). Just since the beginning of the year I've seen 4 guys and 1 girl post about their new PB. Nothing little either, talking 45lbs and up and I'm not even searching for this stuff, probably a lot more. I just happen to see it. I'm happy for them.....but it's killing me!

I havent been around the BOC for long. I've always known winter was good for trophy blues. Maybe because I'm on the BOC, I get to see just how good it gets and all these new PB's are normal. But the main reason I'm on the BOC is because this year, like randy said, I couldnt establish a pattern. The fishing was terrible whatever I did. I was so frustrated I started looking for info online and stumbled upon the BOC in Oct.

Normally, I wasnt happy when winter rolled around(too cold, no one to fish with). For once I looked forward to the winter, cause I felt it would produce, as always. And maybe I could suck it up on the cold and find someone cool on the BOC to fish with.(before this year I was content in summer fishing and would only fish the nicer winter days). I've probably been out 5 COLD winter days already and a few nice days. I normally would get out about 5 nice days all winter previously. Those previous years all produced better than this year. Somethings got to give.....

10. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Gosh guys it sure would be nice to fish on a Friday morning wouldn't it??? Guess the rest of us have to work huh??? LMAO!!!!!:eek:oooh::smile2::smile2::smile2::wink:

11. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Exactly!!!! The only way to do it is two others are gonna have to go out and hit the same waters, same day, same time without a guide. That would help get an idea of how the fishing really was.

Once again....exactly!

12. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Did I say Friday?? My bad, We only fish Monday through Thursday and thats what Randy and I consider work. We rest on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. LOL:crazy:

13. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    LOL:smile2:

That reminds me bro. That offer I gave ya the other day...well you didnt miss anything. I got the boat hooked up and started her before I left, as always do. The motor was barely blowin water out. Checked the impeller and it's fine. Still aint figured it out. Needless to say, I didnt hit the water that day.:confused2:

14. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    You sure it wasnt frozen up. The past few times we have went we have started the boat after backin it down into the water and it takes it about a minute to pee water out. I just figured it was because it was frozen and after you let it thaw in the river for a few min. it starts peein. Especially lately we have been haulin the boat to the river with Randy drivin. Just so all of you know randy also has been a racecar driver all his life and pretty much drives balls to the wall all the time. Any of you have any clue how it feels to be in the passenger side of a chevy truck runnin over 90mph pullin a boat. doesnt matter if its snowin, rainin, sleetin. He just loves tryin to kill us on the way to the river. By the way, he has tried to kill us on the water multiple times also. 2 different boats he forgot to put the plug in and a boat he borrowed off of one of his buddies which resembled something like a conoe. The "Conoe lookin thing" his buddy used as a damn sled behind a 4 wheeler in the snow and failed to mention there was a hole in it. It really made me feel good as the boat was takin on water all he was sayin to me was "make sure we get my f-in tackle box if this thing does go down". It made me really second guess the whole propane heater thing on the boat. Ya know cause it was Randys idea and all. Soon as he mentioned it I could just picture it in my head my fiance seein the news headlines "2 idiots blow up boat on Ohio River Today". Anyways I know I got way off track here. Sorry.

15. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ya know, Thats actually a very good Idea havin another boat out at the same time. I would evan be willin to be the boater out as long as my "BUDDIES" would tell me all the secrets they payed all that money for. LOL aw come on now, thats fair!!!!

16. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi

Also use a handheld GPS for both boats. Text the other guys with the coordinates, they go fish it see what ya get. Ok maybe going overboard....LOL

Yea on the boat thing....I run a Volvo I/O with the heat exchange(like a radiator). The impeller sucks water to cool the out drive and the heat exchange, but the water sucked up never enters the motor(runs though pipes around the motor to the heat exchange, back out the out drive). Essentially their two separate systems. The water sucked up cools the antifreeze in the heat exchange, which then cools the motor. I think this is similiar to what saltwater boats do, if I'm not mistaken.

It makes them easy to to winterize, just pour antifreeze in the impeller line, cause thats the only spot where theirs freezable water.(which they have a spot to do so). I always fill the lines with antifreeze after running in the winter and never had a problem before. Plus I ran the boat off and on for 20-30 mins over an hour and half period(wouldnt let it overheat, though it tried). Also it was a warm day. I dont know maybe I sucked some crud in the line.:confused2:

17. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    altho ive seen better! 2008 was a decent year! it started out slow because of all the high water!
    now it defenently wasnt a big fish year for me, but i still managed to bank about 10 grand in cash and prizes! all in all it wasnt bad season! im lookin forward to 09

good luck guys in 09

18. Kat-addict

Kat-addict New Member

State:
    ohio
    It'll be better or I'm gonna start headin to big bend to fish every time I wanna go. At least I can catch fish there. !!

19. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    2008 was interesting for me... but i will say it was good! caught hundreds of fish just couldnt break the 30lb mark... it was a year full of firsts for me! first year fishing for blues, first year drift fishing and a few more bad habits but i do think i will go back to doing more flathead fishing next year .. putting an 8" bluegill in the middle of a brush pile or log jam and knowing you cant get it back out without a big ole flathead on the line is fun!!!:wink: also plan to fish some tournaments this year and see how i come out!

20. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It was as bad as I can remember, Worst year I have had !:roll_eyes::crazy: