2008 Indiana Catfish Gathering???

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by Wabash River Bear, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Is anybody planning, or thought about an Indiana gathering for "08"? Last year Skimax and some guys set one up at Monroe, but I couldnt make it due to a local gathering we had planned over here on the Wabash. I heard they had a good time, I was hoping to attend this year if another one was planned. Anybody got any ideas?

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana

shoot no! lol

work screwed me on last years gathering. what ya got in mind for this years bear?

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Well, we would need someone to cook and do beer runs and catch bait:smile2:!

I wouldn't mind meeting a few of you Yea Hoos...W

4. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm ready, lets get something set up.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you guys promise to be on your best behivour, some of us Illinois men might attend.:smile2:

6. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    id say make it where there is some good bank fishing or possibly a guy with a small boat can fish too. also camping in a tent would be great.

7. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I'd be more interested if it was somewhere on a lake instead of a river. I don't fish the rivers here for the big cats so my poles wouldn't last if were to catch anything huge. But I could sit there by a fire on the river bank and have a few drinks, deep fry a turkey, smoke some meat or grill some burgers and dogs. I'm not to hard to please when I'm outside by a fire.

8. hdfatboy29

hdfatboy29 New Member

State:
    indiana
    sounds killer to me just need to know where and when !!!!! gargoil you dont need monster poles to fish rivers i,ve used zebco 33,s on 5 ft poles before and caught some nice fish . it,s all in the line (hahaha) it would depend on where before i knew what poles to bring . but i,m up for the camp fire and some camp food . might have to find me a (soc) member to help me keep my sleepin bag warm hahahaha

9. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Kool, sounds like it's starting to generate some interest. How about we let this post ride a lil while and see how many folks are really interested, where they are from, and what their needs are (bank fishing, lake or river, camping style, handycapable needs, ect. ect.), then as a group we can chose a location that's centrally located and fits as many needs as possible. I'm really not much of a planner, but maybe a few of us can work together and come up with something. Keep posting ideas.

10. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    If that's the case then I rekon I'll be up for a river. But I'll be content sitting there talkng, drinking, cooking, helping. Anything to just to get out.

11. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    We had a gathering last year and it was a good time. There seemed to be alot of interest on here but only 7 of us showed up when it was all said and done. Let's hope this years is bigger! We picked Lake Monroe because it is centrally located (except for the guys in far northern indiana), has great campsites that are spaced out so you are not right on top of somebody else(we all tent camped and left our boats in the water at our campsites), a free fish cleaning station, and at least 5 different species to target.

Monroe has some excellent shore fishing, especially for cats and crappie. We had almost as many boats as people though last year, so finding spots for people to get in probably wouldn't be a big deal. My boat fished for crappie in the morning (got a limit both days), then walleye in the evening/early night (Monroe is a very underrated walleye fishery), and then cats late at night. Overall we caught crappie, bluegill, bass, channel and flatheads, walleye, and some whiper. During the afternoon we just hung out at the campsite visiting and even got some people to take us out waterskiing on sunday afternoon on their 100,000 dollar boat and went and hung out in the party cove (lots of beer, babes, and bikini's; well at least they start in bikini's :smile2:)

I can tell you guys from fishing monroe several times a week that the channels cats are very nice, and well above average. They average about 6 pounds and go up to around 15. And 60 pound flatheads are caught every year (my biggest is around 30 pounds). It is also a great place to fill a cooler with crappie if you wanna take some good fillets home from the trip.

That is a rundown on Lake Monroe and kinda how the gathering went last year. If I am still in the Indiana area I would love to attend another one and I can even get a few reservations together if people choose Monroe.

If people would rather lake fish than another good option is Lake Patoka. It is another great fishery. In my experience, the crappie are of much nicer quality (but not quantity) but the cats can tend to run a little smaller. There are some guys more knowledgeable about this lake though that I am sure can chime in.

And if we choose a river (my favorites to catfish). My vote is the Ohio River. Nothing compairs to a 50 pound blue cat. I have some extra poles that people would be more than welcome to use and if we get some of these kentucky guys on board they have enough poles for us all to use!

12. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Max, havent seen ya around in a while. I have no idea on how to organize this thing. Since you at least had last years experience to fall on, do you want to take the leed on this? I will help out any way I can. There are a couple of other members that may want to help out too.
    Monroe is a nice spot, especially the Paynetown area. I dont have a problem fishing there. The Ohio may be a long trip for some, and I know some people dont really have "big river" boats.
    Let us know what you think. See Ya around.
    Bear

13. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Hey all, I posted a request for info on organizing a gathering on the BOC's "Member Gathering" section. Eithne (BOC staff member Kristine Burk) sent me this helpful link, http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1611 . It basically tells how to go about it with some tips and such. Everybody who wants to attend or help out should check it out. It is going to take a group effort, but it will be worth it. Lets get it on! Lets do this thing!:smile2:

14. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I have yet to attend a gathering. I keep saying that I will but it seems like everytime there is one it coincides with the tournaments I get in every year. I mainly fish small lakes and that is why I'm reluctant to fish a big river. My rod and reels are the ones that you would normally fish for bass or crapie. I have 14lb test onmy reels. I fish out of a small 2 man boat that I can throw in the back of my truck and a boat that my partner and I fish out of when wew fish the tournaments. Nothing for a river. But like I said earlier in my posts, I'll be happy just to be there helping out in any way I can. Cooking fetching and drinking beer when others are unable too. :big_smile: I'm ready willing and able.
    I'd love to catch a mess of fish to bring home. Never caught a walleye, but would love too.

15. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    You get an A+ for enthusiasum! It sounds like there will be plenty to do for plenty of people. Keep in touch as we try to get this thing rolling, we are going to need help planning, organizing, and doing legwork, making calls, fetching beer. Thanks for volunteering, you're hired.

16. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    hey guys id love to come to this im not much of a lake fisherman but if need be i can have you all thought about up around canneltion or rocky point some of the best fishing on the ohio river is there rockt point has lots of camp sites an a nice park an boat ramps there to i could help get this set up deerhunter just lives down the road from me he could help get this together if we need to

17. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    patoka is close enough to the ohio river that some people could hit the lake and some could fish the ohio.. depending on the time of year it is held a good 14 foot boat will get you around the river decent jut use common sence ...

18. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    That sounds like a great option Bill, and lord knows alot of help is needed. How is the river traffic in that area? Myself, probably like most that live further away from the big rivers, only have a 16' boat. Bank fishing spots available. I'll check it out on mapquest and google earth to try to get an idea of what you are talkin about. What does everybody else think? Come on guys, check it out and get back to us.

19. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    you cant ask for any better places to fish of the banks an there is a lake that the river feeds in to that iv seen a few 60 lb fish pulled out of there im going to say there is close to 50 camp sites there an log caben there as well as for a 16 feet boat fishing the river thats what i fish out of an your setting rite on top t of the canneltion dam an about 5 miles from were the indiana an ky state record was cought

20. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i have fished it with a 16ft lowe as long as i have been fishing the river so you will be fine also dh is putting one together in henderson that im sure you would be welcome to and we could get you out on the ohio river...