2008 Gateway Kids Derby Results

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Cuz, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    2008 Gateway Cats Kids Derby

22 Children and several adults were welcomed with calm temperatures and beautifull skies as we descended on the banks of Lake 15 at Busch Wildlife. Chris Morrow welcomed all of us, and a few short minutes later the anglers descended on the waters, rods in hand.

It was quickly evident the fishing was going to be hot. There were multiple hooks up of bass and big hybrid bluegill as you could here the parents and grandparents whooping it up to cheer on their favorite anglers.

Bass and Bluegill action was hot all day with no breaks in the action. The Catfish however, proved to be rather finicky with no reported catches in the first two hours of action.

There were many methods and techniques utilized to try and catch the whiskered variety with many anglers choosing to stay the course with the catfish and boy did it ever pay off. Those anglers that stuck with pursuing the kittens were awarded with a flurry of catfish activity in the last hour, which led to the top two places being taken on Channel Catfish.

It was great to see everyone again, and even more fun to watch all of the children determined to catch the lakes biggest fish.

At the end of it all, every child had caught fish, bar one, however he indicated to me he had battled a big one but it unfortunately spit the hook. I think we all know that feeling.

At the end of the fray, emerging as the 2008 Gateway Cats Kids Fishing Derby Champion was none other than Nicki Hagen. Nicki cemented her place at the top with a 6 pound Channel cat very late in the game that had the entire lake cheering her on as she battled the Big Channel Catfish.

Here's how all the awards panned out at Weigh In Time

Trophy Winners

1st Place
    Nicki Hagen - 9 Pounds 2 Ounces

2nd Place
    Christopher Armstrong - 2 Pounds 12 Ounces

3rd Place
    Hailee Polite - 2 Pounds 10 Ounces

Largest Fish
    Nicki Hagen - 6 Pound 6 ounce Channel Catfish

Medal Winners

Jack Allen
    Lauren Allen
    Collin Armstrong
    Lily Morley- Park
    Ember Robertson
    Indiana Robertson
    Dawson Butler
    Zachary Mathenia
    Phoenix Jacobs
    Austin Hyde
    Trevon Robinson
    Devin Stoke
    Jerry Stoke
    Dezmond Strain
    Lamont Hervey
    Austin Twellman
    Hannah Felder
    Tori Orf
    Emma Murray

Congratulations Anglers. You all did a fabulous Job.

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    My apologies for being a little late with the results. After the weigh in, I had to race all the way home, unpack from my last trip, repack, and race back to Lambert to catch a flight to Orlando for Recurrent Training. I'll will try and get some of my pictures posted, and I encourage everyone else to post there's as well, hoever I have an extremely busy 3 day period here in the torture chamber and it will be tough to find 10 minutes but I will try. Thanks to all the parents and Gateway Members for coming out and supporting the Children.

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
  4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Congrats to the young Anglers and Thank You Guys for doing this. That was a great idea and sounds like a great turnout. I commend you all for doing this!!!:wink::big_smile:

5. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I would also like to give special thanks to John Allen for the fantastic Trophies and Medals that he provided for the Kids. Top quality stuff and a great momento. EVERY child went home a winner with a prize in hand.:big_smile:

Here they are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. catfishchris

catfishchris Active Member

State:
    missouri
  7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Ditto, thanks a million for getting every childs photo with their Awards. Seeing all the smiling faces made it all worth it. I'm pretty sure I saw a few budding die hard catmen and catwomen in that group too. :wink:

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Darryl, attached to the back of the trophy via rubber band you should have the top of the fishing rod. There is a small hole at the fishermans hands that the rod slides into. The trophy shop said they would fall out easily so he just held them on his back with a rubber band until the trophys made there journey to the childrens home whereas you then place the rod tip in for safe keeping. I meant to mention that fact to the parents when the trophies were issued but alas, I got a case of the Harry Old's and I forgot. :smile2:

9. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    :crazy: Fishing ROD????? Me didn't see no fishing rod! Will check when I get home.:embarassed:

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    It was rubber banded to the man on the trophy. Its just a gold piece about 2 inches long.

11. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    Here are a few pics from the derby!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Hey I can remember the important stuff.. It's just the other stuff that gets a little foggy at times..
    So when are we getting together to fry up Ryans Walleye.. I might be able to add some Crappie to the kitty if I ever find where they are hiding.. I think them and the cats went on vacation..

13. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Shoot, Ryan is M.I.A these days, I think Darryl ran him out....:sad2:

14. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    ohh noo no Ryan, Bob and Randy have gotten quiet lately so who am I going to pick on now..

15. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Here are some of the pics that we had from the Derby this is my nephew Dawson and this was only the second time he's been fishing. He had a blast catching those blugills and that Bass was the best of all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Does my heart good to see all of those smiling children. Thanks for sharing the photos guys and please dont forget to email a couple of your best photos to gatewaycats@yahoo.com I cant add photos to the next slide show if I dont have them. This goes for the last dollar tourney as well. I only had one member email me photos of the dollar event. (thanks 30 thousand and the 61/2 filets) :smile2: The Slide Show is much much better if I have photos of the majority. When You get some time, please drop a few to the email address above. Thanks guys n gals.

17. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Awesome pics Mike!!! I sure wish I could have had Skylar that day... :embarassed:

18. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Great to see ya taking the little guy fishing mike.

I think that all kids should ge the chance to go fishing hunting etc. at least a few times and then decide if they wanna do it but there are a lot that never get to decide if it is something they wanna do.

19. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

No rubber band left on Christophers Trophy. From a picture of them setting on my tailgate before they were awarded I don't see a rubberband either???? Did anyone find the extra piece on theirs?