2008 FLOOD

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Cuz, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I thought I would start a post so that we all can have a central thread to keep track of the impending flooding. This will be our contact point should we experience heavy flooding and ways to help out with the cause, If our services as a boating entity should be called on.

Here is the current predictions for St. Louis which doesnt take into consideration rains forcasted this coming week.

Keep your fingers crossed folks.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=lsx&gage=eadm7&view=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Not looking good Cuz! Fortunately our rivers here are starting to drop. Not fast enough though. Heading to a local lake for some fishing tonight.

3. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    We will all be standing by and watching to see what the future brings us..

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    We'll be topping the levees here in Winfield in a few days.:eek:oooh: 1.7 ft below the record level of '93.

It could get interesting to say the least. Local folks in the bottoms are packing up.

5. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Yeah, it ain't looking too good. They had the town of Clarkesville on the new last night, their expecting a crest around 2 foot higher than it was in 93. They said they're goal was to make 300,000 sandbags by the end of this weekend.:crazy:

6. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Oops!!!!!

Correction...... still rising even further, not sure where the crest will be. Rapidly approaching a new record.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=lsx&gage=cagm7&view=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

ILC013-MOC113-150442-
    /O.CON.KLSX.FL.W.0190.000000T0000Z-000000T0000Z/
    /CAGM7.3.ER.080604T1713Z.080623T0600Z.000000T0000Z.NR/
    1143 PM CDT FRI JUN 13 2008

THE FLOOD WARNING CONTINUES FOR
    THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER AT WINFIELD LD 25 TW
    * UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
    * AT 10 PM FRIDAY THE STAGE WAS 30.1 FEET.
    * MODERATE FLOODING IS OCCURRING AND MAJOR FLOODING IS FORECAST.
    * FLOOD STAGE IS 26.0 FEET.
    * FORECAST...THE RIVER IS FORECAST TO CREST NEAR 39.0 FEET SUNDAY
    NIGHT JUNE 22ND.
    * IMPACT...AT 34.0 FEET...THE LEVEE BEGINS TO BE OVERTOPPED.
    * IMPACT...AT 37.0 FEET...LOCK AND DAM PARK IS COMPLETELY FLOODED.
    * IMPACT...AT 39.6 FEET...RECORD CREST AUGUST 1ST...1993.

7. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Revision: = 6 inches below record predicted.......so far (standby for updates)

THE FLOOD WARNING CONTINUES FOR
    THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER AT WINFIELD LD 25 TW
    * UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
    * AT 3 PM SATURDAY THE STAGE WAS 30.6 FEET.
    * MODERATE FLOODING IS OCCURRING AND MAJOR FLOODING IS FORECAST.
    * FLOOD STAGE IS 26.0 FEET.
    * FORECAST...THE RIVER IS FORECAST TO CREST NEAR 39.2 FEET MONDAY
    EVENING JUNE 23RD.
    * IMPACT...AT 34.0 FEET...THE LEVEE BEGINS TO BE OVERTOPPED.
    * IMPACT...AT 37.0 FEET...LOCK AND DAM PARK IS COMPLETELY FLOODED.
    * IMPACT...AT 39.6 FEET...RECORD CREST AUGUST 1ST...1993.

River is predicted to top the levees approximately Wed nite to Thurs morn. at Winfield Dam.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I feel bad for you guys. the water in my state aint flooding but to high to fish.

you got it bad, i hope it ends soon.

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    jack, you guys must have got hit harder on that side of the state. The Muskingum is barely up. How much rain did you get? rollo

10. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    ppffffftttttt,thanks for rubbing it in our face,rollo.we got quite a bit of rain.creeks and rivers were high,they are coming down now,but they are muddy,most lakes are flooded also.

good

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Raining good again up north this morning :angry: then weather channel showing Wednesday, and again Friday on the week outlook map, Man, what happened to the good ol days when the weatherman was always WRONG!

12. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I'm screwed up as usual.

River tops the levees at 34 feet and I was thinking 36.

This should occur approximately Tuesday morning in my hometown. Got a buddy that will be seeing the Mayor this morning, so we are expecting a report back about organized sandbagging efforts.

Heard they were having trouble finding sandbags. Some local quarry supposedly has some but wants $1.00 a piece!:crazy: Guess there is always those that will gouge for a profit even in the face of local disaster!:angry:
    [​IMG]

13. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Official SandBagging efforts are to begin at 8:00am Monday morning for the town of Winfield.

I am working tomorrow and the boys are going to school. We will show up at approximately 3:00pm and work until whenever???? I am taking vacation Tuesday to continue sandbagging and/or whatever the town needs as we brace for the levee to overtop Tuesday morning.

If anyone wishes to volunteer, the efforts will take place behind the car wash and also at Cooks service station. Both easy to find right on hwy 79. Winfield is small, if you blink you'll miss it.

If anyone can make it we'll see you there. Overnighters can crash at the SkipEye pad which is located 3 miles from the sandbagging efforts.

My cell is 314-249-6844.

14. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Guess I should add good items to bring:
    • Shovels
    • Rubber boots and/or shoes that can get wet
    • Plenty of ice water to stay hydrated
    • Snacks for energy
    • A wheelbarrow could be useful too
    Thanks

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Sounds like its starting to get ugly. Darryl i have to try and get my immediate yard mowed today, and I'm scheduled to be on Reserve in New York for 4 days. If they give me Long Call Reserve, I'll try and head up there and give you guys a hand.

This is a really bad week for me as I have 4 days of work, only 2 days off, then 3 days of Recurrent training in Orlando, immediately followed by 4 more days of reserve. Ma Flood needs to wait a week and a half for me. :angry:

Anybody that doesnt have anything going on, I"m sure Winfield could use your support, even if its only for a couple of hours. I know its a work week, but by the way things are shaping up, there will be other towns to help out in also.

Keep monitoring this thread for places that might need our assistance. Thanks for the info Darryl. IF I get long call, I'll be up buddy.

16. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    No need to go extraordinarily out of the way for you long distance folks. Thought if someone was close and could squeeze it in we could use the help.

Will probably have lots of folks there if history repeats itself.

No worries Cuz, if you make it fine, if not thats fine also. If you do you'll have a place to crash.

Thanks. Work night makes it tough for folks too. I'm taking off tomorrow because it is my hometown. Boss would not understand if it was elsewhere either and i only get tomorrow then he says back to work.

17. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Update on flood situation in Winfield area. Still a few have not moved out yet, water is expected to breach the levee tonight. Lots of folks and media all around town. Don’t know what they said on channel 2 and 5 but they’re here. Red Cross has set up a shelter at Winfield high school, fire department on 47 is the command post for updates www.wffpd.org Cavary Chapel is being used by the Salvation Army to feed the volunteers - fire department, sandbaggers etc. in Winfield and Old Monroe… Foley is crazy, their just partying… Levee up at Canton broke which will absorb some but ready or not here it comes.

18. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Well Winfield, how did you fare over the night time hours? There isnt any news out as of yet this morning? Hope you guys made it through the night with no larger breeches.

19. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sorry everyone, if i wasn't on the west side of the state and having to work i would be there helping. We laid a foundation in the drizzle yesterday, but the sun looks bright this mornin. Time to get to work, and good luck Darrel

20. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Hey I didn't see Daryll on the news but I did see Mrs skipeye on the news filling sandbags..