2008 fishing year

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by jolie, Dec 30, 2008.

1. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    well, 2008 is coming to a close. I can proudly say I have never kept such good notes. I have every trip, every fish counted. July, Sept and December were pretty bad, there were nearly 8-10 hours per adult fish.

So I figure this coming year, I want to
    • go icefishing more times (3X in 08)
    • Canoe more in the river (3X in 08)
    • Catch walleye more year round (instead of just in June)
    • Try to catch pre-spawn cats in May
    • Catch more essox (Northern Pike-musky-pickeral)
    • Catch a bowfin & (of course) catch a steelhead
    • Flyfish for bass (I think I only did this once in 08)
    and of COURSE
    get a new pb catfish

I figure three things that hurt my fishing this year
    • Stubbornly chased whiskers as they moved south out of the upper alleghany river
    • Fishing high river water in december
    • Not being diverse and fishing for other things in sept
    but I am also very happy about my numbers.
    here's some comparison between this year and last

Hours....................439.7.......176.2
    #Trips...................132..........62
    Adult fish...............137..........63
    Adult walleyes........10............0
    adult bass.............40............9
    Adult trout............36.............15
    Catfish.................13..............0
    All fish..................337...........118

alot more fish, alot more time on the water and a lot more gamefish:smile2:. Here's to 09.:smile2: 08 was great, but hopefully 09 will even be better!

Happy new year

2. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Good Luck in 09, hope ya wear out the batteries in your calculator.:wink:

Reps to ya for keeping such good records.:cool2:

3. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    great record keeping jason, thats something i might try doing this year, maybe not as precise as you did, maybe just a count of flatheads caught and where, that would be cool ta look back on at the end of the year:0a24:

4. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    and I didn't even add up all my bites:smile2::smile2::smile2: I did keep a rough tally.

now thats pretty mental isn't it

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    jason you forgot to add target flatheads on your things ta do list

6. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    Good luck to everyone on 09

There are also some things I want to do this coming year. I want to fish more this year. I was out close to 150 days this year but was down from the last few years. I want to go Ice fishing for the first time. I want to do a little bit more Walleye fishing. Do more Steelhead fishing. I went for the first time this fall and loved it. I want to break my PB for a catfish and just catch more catfish.

7. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Jason i would rep ya for keeping good records but gota spread it around first great job bro i started to keep records but got lazzy at times i need to bear down and keep better records myself thay do help keep up the good work and good luck in 09 brother

8. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I never kept any records of fish as good as I should have I like taking pics of them I sure would like breaking a record that would be awesome but thats dreaming big for me just catching a 20 pound flat in 09 is my goal but if a bigger on decides to come along thats ok too:wink:

9. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Impressive job of record keeping Jason! :cool2: Do you track weather conditions and moon phases and how they relate to your trips? Just wondering as I feel they are key factors!

10. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Good stuff bro. I was out 418 hrs fishing this yearand I recorded 165 trout (biggest 25" rainbow), 5 walleye (biggest 21"), 109 Channels (biggest #13), 9 Blue cats (biggest #37), and 208 Flatheads (biggest was #44). I hope to fish the salt more this year. It is hard to get away durring the day with 3 kids under 6. Most of my fishing was done at night after the kids went to sleep. I like to keep a log of my trips so I can use it as a refrence for the years to come. I keep track of date, time, location,water clarity, wind, barametric pressure, moon phase, weather, air temp, fish location, water depth, river stage, bait, species of fish caught and notes. I think that logging your trips will make you a better fisherman in the future. You can pattern fish alot better.

11. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    Wow thats a lot of stuff to keep track of I wouldn't even know where to begin I guess carry a note pad

12. kenlaw76

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    You just have to remember it till you get home:roll_eyes::smile2:

13. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    wow!:wink: BUT you missed water temperature. I've found that important from time to time.:tounge_out:

well I have tried several different correlations experimentally and something that REally doesn't pan out is Barometric pressure;
    yet some people find it SO correlated.

weather, air temp, depth, water clarity and moon phase have been briefly considered but didn't seem very significant.

Weather, water clarify, and water depth are tied together and results are interesting and complicated. Let me preface it by saying--

I am keeping Very close watch of water temperature and river gauge.

ok, here goes. MOST of the time high water, esp. sudden high water is a complete and utter deathknell to the fishing trip. espacially with bass, catfish, and walleye. However, spring and fall can make it own rules, basically fall ruins several bites (ESPACIALLY catfish) and seems to improve (not studied enough) others (irregardless of high water)

during the spring, walleye, bass, etc prestage for spawn and can be caught Even during higher water. TROUT are were very easy to catch during high water in late feb and march in the river and Probably cause the commission stocked a zillion 10-11" rainbows (they want to create a stable population of monster 30" trout and feed the osprey, bald eagles and muskies TOO).

the heavy preoccupation with fall catfish (after the catfish clearly left the area, skewed fall results) and the zillions stockie trout in the spring skewed spring high water too.

============================================

keep in mind too, that in an ordinary river, MORE things would be correlated since rainy water would mean low barometric pressure, and high water. yet Kinzua CAN be low in flooding conditions and be unreasonable high during moderate conditions.

=============================================

so ... there, thats a rough analysis for WATER gauge. anymore detail might burn my brain:smile2: but I truly believe that coorelation wise;
    water temp-river gauge-water location-time-date-weather-lure/bait-fish type-and technique is Alot of information to process.

I'd give you reps if I could ken; one thing we do have in common. we're both fishing with the same time constraint. get the kids in bed and go out and guess for a few hours.

:smile2::smile2::smile2: did you all want THAT much detail?
    perhaps we could have a cool little conversation; do you find patterns in barometric pressure or water clarity (how do you even measure that?)? also did you find any interesting detail in water depth, season, and river gauge?

14. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I got ONE - TWO days before I lose track of my bites. espacially when I'm bass fishing and throwing in LOTS of kinds of lures.

Somestuff is on-line (Water temp-Barometer-River gauge)....

You tend to remember the fish longer.:smile2:

15. kenlaw76

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I find that certin species are very sensitive to pressure changes. For instance a Blue cat will get lock jaw as soon as a front blows over. You can see the fish on the finder but no matter what you throw down there they will usually not bite. It has to be one of the most frustrating things to deal with when fishing for them. Every time I went out it was right before a front moved through, and as soon as the front was there the bite stopped immediatly.

16. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    that does it I am going to carry a small note pad with me but I'm just going to mark time of day date bait used air temp and water temp if possible