2008: First Outing, First Flathead!

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by bwanatony, May 17, 2008.

1. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    I got the year off to a good start with a 16 pounder tonight, 33" long. Went for cut rockbass. I was so surprised I forgot to get a picture. The thing pulled like a 25 pounder. The "teeth" scuffed half the skin off my thumb when I let her go, too. Forgot my bug spray AND my gloves. Two big mistakes...

Grand River near Grand Rapids. Deepest water I could find (10'), 9:30 PM. Water was 63 degrees.
    The next few weeks should be great if the water levels stay moderate and the temps stay mild. Man, I love catfishing!

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats Tony on a 16# flathead the first trip out. I always forget something on the first couple of trips out. Thanks for sharing.

3. Gr_Cat

Gr_Cat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Nice one Tony! I usually get skunked my first time out especially for flattys! Wow the river is a lot warmer than I expected! I bought a new fishfinder, and I'm afraid to install it myself, the thought of drilling holes in my transom dont really appeal to me with my luck :) Can you recommend somewhere that wont have a 3 week wait and not cost $200? It doesnt look too difficult, I should just do it myself. Thanks, and goodluck next trip out!

4. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Just do it yourself, you chicken!
    The holes you drill have to be smaller than the diameter of the screw threads, and you have to squirt some silicone caulk in the holes before you drive in the screws.
    Hold the bracket where it needs to be and mark the holes with a felt tip marker.

5. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
  6. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    nice hook-up Tony, Always good to get the first one outta the way. Hopefully my turn next week.

7. cwi47

cwi47 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Nice one Tony. Got that first one outa the way already. Best JC

8. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    Congrads on your first cat this year and best of luck on many more to come. I grew up near downtown lansing not far from the grand river. Icant remember for the life of me where to fish it now. Do you have any pointers on where to go for a guy without a boat?

9. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Congrats on the really nice flattie glad to hear that you caught one, I say it did feel like a 25 pounder I know they can put up a good fight and they dont come up usually untill you get them in, keep up the good work and keep us informed on how the rest of your fishing trips go for ya.

10. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Sorry, since I always use the boat, I don't know the bank spots very well.

Check this out, though:

"http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/1,1607,7-153-10371_14793-31264--,00.html"

This is a link to USGS quad maps on the Michigan DNR website. Copy and paste it into your address bar, then remove the quotation marks. Or try Google Maps or Yahoo Maps to follow the river until you find potential access points. Then do some leg work & see how they look in person.
    Anywhere you can find access is worth a try.
    Just remember: use big rods & reels, use strong line, use big baits (I like bluegills, bullheads, & suckers so big you need 3 to 6 ounce weights to keep them from swimming off), be quiet, sit still, and stay late.
    Good luck.

11. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    Ha, Rick you ever want to fish the Grand without a boat you let me know. I grew up waste deep in it till I moved out of the house when I was 19. Got some awsome spots to bank fish or wade. One of my best cat days I ever had was when I was 14. Me and two buddys caught over thirty three pounds of channel cats. We probly had 10 to 15 fish. From 9 in the morning to noon we filled one of those fish baskets. Just using crawlers on the bottom. Buddys grandpa worked at the grainery and took the fish there to weight em. He couldn't believe it. Rated in the top five rivers in the midwest for smallies too. I've caught close to thirty in an hour a number of times. Nn size to them but on 6 pound test and ultra-lite lots of fun.