2008-2009 Season

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by DIESELkat, Sep 2, 2008.

1. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Well the season if finally upon us. Made it out the first day of early goose (Monday), only got 1 goose and the gun jammed on me, but its better than a skunk. Just nice to get out on the water. Saw a TON of mallards, woodies, and teal. Goin out again in the morning, hopefully this time I can get some pics.

post your results.

2. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Central Illinois had a fine early season opener. Seems like everyone that went out had a pretty fair day.
    We don't bother the locals as I like to think of them as seed geese that show the visitors the farm. Spend a lot of time with the video camera and watching them upclose till the number build up.
    We seem to have Lots of young Dumb ones around for this fall .
    Our Harvest is going to be delayed and except for high Moisture corn for feed and testing dryers we are going to be Late Late before they have much but Cut hay and golf course grass.

Congrate to all that made it out . Is that bacon wraps and charcoal I smell? yum yum.:smile2:...........:wink:

rg

3. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Congrats on the openers. Glad to hear someone is shooting waterfowl

4. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Got out this morning and managed 2 birds. Had a flock of about 100 birds roosting at the spot I was hunting but they wouldnt fly, swam into the dekes twice and the second time I tried to jump them but they swam away:roll_eyes: Finally did get a pair later on in the morning. Cant wait for ducks to come in, I had about 20 or so mallards land in the dekes throughout the morning. Im sure they have read the regs too though, always seem to do dumb stuff before the season opens. Oct 11 cant come soon enough!

Attached Files:

5. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    As well as the ducks seem to come to the goose decoys in the early and late (out of season) part of the year, It sure makes a guy wonder why we have so little luck with Mixed spreads during the regular season. :tounge_out:

I always run both but seem to have to seperate them as to which ones I am targeting that day.

rg

6. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Agreed

I usually throw out a few mallard dekes in early goose season just for fun. It always seems as though your dekes are golden till the season comes in, then they inspect the hell outta them come the season. I think I had a couple of about every species thats around here at this time of the year in the dekes on wednesday. Even had a common merganser come rippin through and set down.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Got me a box of Winchester drylock Steel in size T 3" 12ga today ,so I'm feeling the itch. Couldnt go in Gander MTN an just look!!!:wink:

8. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    It's hard to go into those stores and not drop at least a $100. At least I can't. :wink: If only my wife wouldn't each time we go to Wal Mart.

9. trapperP

trapperP New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Just read the thread re the mixed dekes and wondering how you set them up. I hunt a lot of the time on open water in our major impoundments and have found that you need to set with lots of room between the dekes in the spread. Also the best set up I have found is a "U" set with the long arm set with most of the goose decoys, the ducks in the middle at the bottom and them a 'family set' of 5-6 goose blocks on the other arm. Also like to make the set with the arms of the "U" pointing into the wind.
    g g
    g g g
    g g g g
    g g g g g
    g g g g g
    g g g g g
    g g g

d d d d d
    d d d d

How do the rest of you set up and do you used different sets fo different areas?

10. trapperP

trapperP New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Just read the thread re the mixed dekes and wondering how you set them up. I hunt a lot of the time on open water in our major impoundments and have found that you need to set with lots of room between the dekes in the spread. Also the best set up I have found is a "U" set with the long arm set with most of the goose decoys, the ducks in the middle at the bottom and them a 'family set' of 5-6 goose blocks on the other arm. Also like to make the set with the arms of the "U" pointing into the wind.

[Tried a diagram of the set-up, that didn't work!]

That's about the best I can do on a diagram so bear with me.
    How do the rest of you set up and do you used different sets fo different areas?

11. johnliester

johnliester Active Member

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    Went last saturday with my brother for the opener. I shot 2 widgeon, and a mallard. My brother got a gadwall. I'm using an over/under 20 gauge for ducks this season, and it seems to be whacking them well. No, it's not a 50 yard duck gun, but over decoys it's deadly!! Will be going more next week after work as I found a bunch of ducks using a pond I can hunt. It's not going to be pretty......

12. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Going out tomorrow morning for the first time this year! just got 24 new mallards dekes and can't wait to wet them!!!

Good luck this year ya'll

13. crappietime

crappietime New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro Tennessee
    Looks like we need to swap some hunts out on here.I been working on getting my stuff ready and the blind brushed.Now I am working on the decoys and going to tune the duck boat up this weekend.Our season dont open here till Friday after Thanksgiving.I was really going to put off hunting this year and just fish all winter but now it is getting closer it is getting more pumped here.I normally hunt 40 out of 60 day hunt so that aint to bad.Glad to see yall getting to get out and hunt.Dont know what I would do to be able to get out and get some early hunting at ducks that aint been shot at yet.