2007 SeaArk with a ghost leak!

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by loanwizard, Feb 1, 2008.

1. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have a 2007 SeaArk 2072 that has a mysterious leak. The bottom has 2 holes. 1 where the plug goes, and 1 for the aerator. There are screw holes for the bilge, the speedo wheel and the transducer. The plug used to have a chain on it but I broke it on about the third trip but it appears to seal. I filled the boat w/ approx 6 inches of water and none leaked out eliminating unsealt screw holes. I turned on the bilge and the hose and clamp appear to be ok. I ran water through the baitwell and didn't see any issue. The next step is to back it in the water and watch to see if pressure does anything. I can't find anything, yet when I left it docked in Florida, the Marina had to come down and set an automatic bilge in it to keep it from um.... well it was sittin pretty low. I know I can replace the existing bilge with an automatic, but I would prefer the boat not leak at all. Does anyone have any ideas? I am considering double clamping the bilge and aeration pump.

Thanks in advance,
    Shawn

2. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Shawn,
    Double clamps on any hose connection is a great idea. I have personally had the SS hose clamps fail. This may have been from me putting a death grip on them when while tightening them down. :eek:oooh::smile2:

I had a similar problem once, I just could not find the leak. I put the garden hose in it and filled it almost to the top before I found the leak. I was going to overflow it if need be, it was going to end up sinking if I did not find it. Ended up being some of the live well plumbing. Took pressure from a lot of water to make it leak. I had to remove the batteries and the fuel tank but I was determined i would find the problem.:crazy::smile2:
    These things can sometimes be a pain in the back side to find, best of luck.

Ball valves on any thru hull fitting is also a good thing to have.
    David

3. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Just go buy ya the new pro cat model Shawn. And just to show how much a brother cares about ya I'll even take the old leaky one off yours hands free of charge. :wink:

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Shawn buddy what you did was park under the sign that stated. Take a Wiz. And everyone had way to much to drink. And filled it up.:roll_eyes:
    If it were me. I would put it in the water and look. AS filling one up with water does not put the pressure on the leak as sitting in the water and the boat sitting down in the water causing it to leak in.
    My guess is around the plug.
    pete

PS I know where a War-Eagle is for sale and it does now leak. LOL Look here
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/pp-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=218&limit=recent

5. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    i had one of those found it today . it was my livewell pump so far all i have found .the only thing else can be is the livewell line .hope we have good luck

6. rdt

rdt New Member

State:
    MO
    I had a leak like that in my boat, turned out to be the nylon through the hull connector on my livewell line. Apparently they had tightened it too tight at the factory and split the connector in the threads causing it to leak when outside pressure increased.

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Welcome to the board

8. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I had an intermitent leak when I bought my Fisher. Turned out they did not put a loop in the bilge pump hose. They did and no more leak there.

9. dwidder

dwidder New Member

State:
    MO
    The best way to find leaks that I have been able to find is to fill the boat up with water, it is a pain but it works.

Good luck.

10. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    THEY ARE HARD TO FIND FILL WITH WATER AND CHECK , GOOD LUCK!

11. sarg

sarg New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have a new 08 boat (FISHER) and leak from day one. so i fill the boat about half full of water and found the leaks,,, both were in the welding seams. mixed up some JB weld and stop the leaks

Ron (ALL GAVE SOME & SOME GAVE ALL)

12. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    After i found them on that new boat i think I would have made the factory fix them. In my opinion the JB Weld is just a temp fix.
    Just the way I see it.
    David