2007 Rend Lake Gathering

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by alands94, Jul 14, 2007.

1. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I am starting this thread to share photos, stories, reflection, etc. from the 1st (annual, semiannual, weekly :wink:) Rend Lake Gathering. I think it is safe to say that everyone felt welcome and had a great time (and ate plenty of great food!). I have never met a greater group of guys and gals. The amount of knowledge I picked up in one day simply talking and swapping stories,secrets, etc. was priceless. As a relative newby to drifting, it was great to learn a new and effective method for catching cats. I especially want to thank Paul (deerhunter4) and his wonderful wife Sally for putting this together on short notice and also Shane (big-muddy) for coming up with this idea. I am definitely looking forward to doing this again soon (except for backing up Paul's trailer in total darkness at 2 AM!!!) :crazy:

A neat little PR for the BOC:
    http://www.southernillinoisan.com/

(look under the local news headline)

2. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good idea Aaron. Our first gathering was a great success in my opinion. Now I can put a personality to those faces in the pictures. Ditto on the learning experience talking to some of the "old timers" who gave us some great tips. A big, big thanks to Paul for going the second mile in pulling things together, and to Shane for the idea. With such a good start this event will grow! Wish I could have stayed to fish the evening. I am looking forward to the pictures of the "bigens". When I left "LilKat" held the record...but some of the information indicates we were outfished that evening by Denise!!!!!! Not only is she a good catfisherwoman......but she sure can fix those potatoes too!!!!

3. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    it was an amazing time. all the food was amazing. paul, sally and the kids went all out to make this a great time for all. i learned a wealth of knowledge just sitting there with mickey and bigcat listening to what they had to say.
    i got in the boat with tonto and lilcat and by the advice af bigcat, we drifted along the humps and flats near the channel that goes under 154. on 4 passes we got ten in the boat, using live shad and shad heads. two of them were 5+ lbrs. we were missing a lot of hits, but i was thinkin they were probably small ones that we were losin anyway. (not quite big enough for the hook.)
    i learned a new method for cleaning cats with an electric knife. (i got better at it after you left paul):wink: and my favorite bit of info i learned was that you can pick up a channel by the lip. my dad told me when i was little that they bite really hard, but i learned that its actually bullheads that clamp down.
    so thank you all for coming and if you guys wanna hit rend anytime just gimme a call, theres still about 80% of the lake that we didnt try yet.

4. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Im glad to hear all had a good time at Rend. Sorry I couldnt make it. Fridays just wont work for me hopefully next time it can be a weekend trip. Id really like to meet you guys and trade some stories. Maybe we can meet up at the central Illinois gathering?!:smile2:

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Rend Lake Gathering is now in the record books of success. Paul and Sally did a great job of making it all happen. It all started with and Idea and developed into a great time for all. It was planned and executed to include good fellowship, exchange of catfishing information, meeting new and old friends,fishing, and lots of good food to eat. I especially like the communication that was shared, no one drove there expecting to get lost. Great Colorful BOC direction banners was everywhere.Thanks to Paul and Sallys daughter, on a great job. I had a great time and hope to see another Rend Lake gathering in the future. The newspaper article looked great. Paul Louderbach,our founder,this gathering would have made you proud. Thanks one and all. It was an Honor.

6. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    More than what I could have ever expected in a short time...Look at pictures below...More to be posted as we go...
    This was much better than I could have imagined it ever turning out...With all of you great folks working together we put on an Awesome first gathering,The fellowship and learning was a real treat for me... There is no way I can ever retain all that knowledge in one day that was dropped on us by (Mickey and BigCat GarryEads)Thanks for coming you two...Well, guess you two will have to come back again...It was very nice meeting you Both...

I would like to Thank (Whistler) Bryan Shrum and (jholl949) Mike Holladay...These two guy's didn't know me from the man on the moon yet with one post to them they dropped what they where doing and got me pictures of the banners they had made to help me get started on our own,they also answered any question I had presented them with...I hope I made you proud with this one...

We also got some Local Newspaper Coverage just from the viewing off that banner...It caught the eye of the local newspaper writer driving through the park area.She just had to stop and ask more about our BrotherHood...She asked if she could put our event in the local paper...Knowing not what to say, I said yes and the Questions flew thank goodness there where members to help answer her many questions...here is the link to the newspaper column I hope you enjoy it...
    Illinois branch of Brotherhood of Catfishermen gathers at Rend Lake

http://www.thesouthern.com/articles/...l/20817430.txt

I can't say enough about the quality of people at this gathering or Thank You enough....TOP NOTCH is the bests way I can describe them all...

oooops almost forgot the most important.....
    Thanks go out to My Wife and Daughter for putting in the extra time and efforts to make this a success...They where the key to making this go....Signs,Running,Picking up Supply's and Phone calls...I would also like to say I LOVE YOU....

Attached Files:

7. ILChannelMan

ILChannelMan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I wish I could have joined ya'll, but I'm still up for a Central IL trip. Stickusmc has sent me a couple messages suggesting Spring Lake. I fished it once from the bank with little luck, but my grandpa hadn't fished it for 20+ years, so his old holes weren't that hot anymore. So if any of ya'll are interested, in a gathering, send me a PM or make a topic and we'll figure this thing out.

8. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    sorry i missed out on what sounds like what such a great time. wound up pulling overtime and wouldn't have made it down there till late. mabye i'll have better luck with the next one.

9. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    spring lake? is that near Macomb? i believe i have been there before. if im thinkin of the right place.

10. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I hope these few photo's find everyone will a bit of joy...I only wish I spent more time taking pictures...

Attached Files:

11. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Here is another set of Pictures...I wish there where more pictures I had taken through out the day but I was to busy jaw jacking as the lady from the newspaper says...I learned so much in that wonderful day I misplaced my camera and forgot to shoot photo's until the end of the day...The pavilion was more than I could have asked for it fit us perfectly just wish more family members could have came to enjoy the eminities....Look forward to doing it again Next year...Any thoughts for a Time frame...How's about May or June for Next year?

I have a few more pictures I wil finish posting after I get off from work tonight...for now enjoy these here and look forward to hearing from you all

Attached Files:

12. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thank you Aaron for Posting this Thread and pulling my boat around all day so my wife and daughter could have my truck to drive...:wink:

Thank You Tonto(Earl) for your hard work on that fish fry...I hope Tkeyhunter(BETHANN made your day with her surprize...We really tried to bring a smile to your face...I look forward to our next fishing trip/hunting trip...

Thanks to everyone for the contribution to the success of this wonderful day...Please forgive me if I have left anyone or anything out...still trying to take it all in...

Travis you got a good catch in that young lady (Denise)...You better keep that one young man...I know you are looking for a flathead it will come just give it time buddy and keep on trying...That young lady will put you on one before you know it...And she catches bait too(with a Cast Net) Heck I know a ton of men that can't do that...plus like Dean said she put on one heck of a mean potato...lets see she cooks,catches bait,hunts ducks and loves ya what more can you ask for?

Don,
    what a wonderful wife you have to my friend I know mine wouldn't watch my poles while I watch the race...to funny

Also Thank You BECKY MALKOVICH, from The Southern newspaper for adding us to your local News coverage...

13. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Would like to tell everyone who was at Rend Lake yesterday for the gathering had a wonderful time and hope we can do it agian sometime. would like to thank Paul Furry for getting the ball rolling on this and it turned out to be a wonderful sucess A+++++!!!! Would also like to thank Dean, Earl, Travis, and paul for bringing their boats out for the fishing trips we got to go on with them (helps us who dont have a boat). Had a wonderful time yesterday meeting all who were there and the food was wonderful as well. Learned alot of new and intersting things while I was there and I know have alot more to learn LOL. Hope to keep intouch with all of you on here or by phone and all.

14. puck55

puck55 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    well brothers and sisters sounds like it was that talk of the weekend for you guys. hope you all had a great time with the fellowship, the fishing, and the hear say best part of it all the FOOD !!! congrats on a very sucessful outing and write this down Puck55 aka Ben will be at the next one. Oh and congrats on the newspaper coverage we'll all make this botherhood and sisterhood famous. To you and ours have a good one with many more to come

15. ILChannelMan

ILChannelMan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think June would be better-I will be graduated and out of school by then, so maybe I could make it.

16. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    My recap of Rend Lake....

So my father got stuck working late.. so we didn't leave Belleville until about 5:30pm when we had plans getting out of here by 3. The Major (father is a civilian working for the base) and Captain needed an 'emergency' meeting in regards to a couple million dollar projects my dad is running... which of course was scheduled for 3:15! So... we got off to a bad start.

We arrived at Rend Lake about quarter to 7.... saw the BOC posterboard and I was thankful I didn't miss it! So we knew that the camp ground greeter was done at 8pm... so we had to find a site quick. Ran to Hickman's Point and found a spot.. last one left! Luck was on our side! Dropped the boat and quick ran to the greeter to pay our money.

We get there and BAM... line up of people. SO we waited our turn.... 7:10 or so now. We pay and quick get in the van and dart to the pavillion to find it vacated and some new people were showing up. ARG!!! Missed you all.

So we went back to camp and decided to setup and get an early start in the morning. Got a call.. my grandma was put into ICU again for her heart.... repeated problem... but we stayed (SHAME ON US).

Got up bright and early.. the sun was almost out, temperature wasn't too bad, looked like a great day to fish. Then....

GOt in the van with the boat drinking my coffee... little groggy in the morning and haven't fully woken up. OOPS... spilled my coffee all over the van and myself. ARG. Now no wake up juice! Oh well.. press on and fish!

We took the boat to the ramp and BAM... the boat jumped off the hitch when we were launching it! Okay.. so it was too early in the morning and I didn't double check that it was secured. MAN DID I LEARN A LESSON! ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK! Thank God that I had the chains on or the new G3 would have went splash trailer and all!

Launched the boat after getting it put back on the hitch.. thanks to some other boater and his wife! Whoeever you are... THANKS AGAIN!

Oh.. did I forget to mention that the new motor was not wanting to fire up? Ya... motor was refusing to start! 15 hours of time on the motor and it was already acting up! So... the morning was bad... and it kept going! Called up Cope Marine, by now it was almost 9 after all the fighting... they walked us through to the manual choke.. Yay.. that worked.. off and running now.

We decided to fish the stumps ont he north end of the lake... off we go. It was a matter of time before one of us got a snag.. no big deal... drive up to the stump and retrieve lure, right? Oh.. did I forget to mention that the cable snapped on us? Ya... the pedal was no longer functioning leavign the trolling motor useless. Had to cut my line as we were drifting heavily and then get out those oars. DON'T EVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT THEM!

Paddled out of the stumps and into deeper water and banked us to figure out the problem. Now.. we know the trolling motor was toast. That pretty much ended a lot of the bass fishing we were setup for this weekend. Oh well... carry on. We drove the boat around to get those 20 hours in on the engine to get it services. This was after a second call to Cope Marine about the junk that has been going on. Ya.. not a good time!

Nighttime comes around, we go to do some catfishing. I was using some of the ideas and baits that you all said were usually great. I was using some shad, nightcrawlers and Geno's. 4 hours later and moved to several spots, not ONE bite.

Got skunked again!

17. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brian sounds like you had a difficult fishing trip. Most of us have had one of them.Learn from the mistakes and move on. On my first trip each year I use a checklist to help me not forget anything.Sometimes the little things turn out to be a big thing. Example: an extra boat plug. Good Luck and enjoy your new rig.:smile2:

18. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    I would like to thank everyone for a great day/night of fun. You all are the best group of people I have ever met. The food was wonderful, and so was the talk. I really enjoyed the fact that everyone was more than willing to give advice, tips, and even some bait in our case we were coming up short(thanks Tonto for the shad). Denise had a wonderful time and also says thank you all for the food and great conversation. Don, I really appreciate you coming along and sharing the new drifting experience with Denise and I. Sorry you had to go through the same experience i do EVERYTIME i go out by getting outfished by a........."GIRL" haha it was fun we caught some fish and had a great time and that is what it is all about. i hope to do some fishing with you all in the near future. Now after two straight days of fishin, im off to baldwin to do some more. :smile2: thanks again to everyone.

19. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I would like to thank everyone who came to the gathering, I had a fantastic time. We had great food, great conversation and a wealth of knowledge shared. Paul thanks for putting this together. Shane thanks for starting the thread, it was your idea that started it all. Bethann arriving was priceless. I look forward to meeting again. May or June for the next gathering it doesn't make any difference to me. If anyone wants to fish south just give me a call. Travis if you are serious about a flathead, you and Denise come on down and I will make sure you catch one. Again thanks to everyone for a great time.
    :big_smile::big_smile:

20. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ok here is more of the pictures I have on digital and only wish I had more to share....I promise next time we will have more pictures to see at Rend Lake Gathering 2008...

Shane, you look so happy brother...I am glad we could get you in a boat and set you up with a new fishing experiance...

Tonto and Riverrat Thanks for taking out those that went on the evening fishing trip...Aaron thanks for the company in my boat had a great time with you all...

Paul thanks for sharing with Shane the Electric Knife and teaching him the new method...I am sure he will invest in one of his own for clean his fish from now on...I have found this to be the easiest way I have ever found to clean them with out all the hassle of skining them...

Attached Files: