2007 PREDICTIONS

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Blue Bruiser, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Hey guys just wanna get a general concensus on how you guys feel about the outlook of the action this year. Will we hammer the P*#S out of em or have slow times as we did last year. Chime in guys.

2. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri

Who had slow year last year? Heres my outlook. Theres fish in the river and fish got to eat:big_smile::big_smile:

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Too early too tell. Depends alot on the Shad Hatch. Alot stands to be proven with these asian carps too. Jury is still out on the effect they are having, but I'm beginning to think we havnt begun to see the problems yet with these rascals. Nonetheless, I will be out there given it my best and going for a big one.

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I really feel that if we don't get a good amount of water back in the rivers we are in trouble.

5. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I have talked to some of the old timers and they say we need a good flood to restock the Mo. I dont personaly have an answer. It may be that the normal spring migration up the river system will help. One thing certain, catch and release will help insure our grandkids some good fishing.

6. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    I had an opinion, but Bob and John about said it all. I am optimistic and am going to give it my best shot, regardless. That is, providing there is enough water in the MO to launch my boat!

7. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    I'm sure hoping for a better year than last year. By the first week of July last year it was pretty much over . I was fishing the BOC tournament and because of that I kept after them all summer as much as I could ,even though they weren't biting much, and it never did pick back up. I think an awful lot is going to depend on whether or not the reservoirs up the line get filled up or not. If we don't get some real water down here I'm afraid this summer will be a repeat. I don't know for sure that the low water conditions on the MO. is what made the fishing so slow but I don't know what the heck else it could have been. Keeping my fingers crossed though. I agree with you Cuz that the Asian Carp are probably going to have more impact on the fishery than we are seeing so far, just don't know when or how bad it is going to effect it yet. But that many big fish competing with the shad for food has got to leave it's mark sooner or later, first on the shad population and then the catfish, all the major predators will be effected in the long run.

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Good post Jack. Who knows what the long term ramifications are due to the asians. I have a theory and its just an educated guess and its this. I am still painting large fish with my sonar equipment. They are in my usual spots, and my honey holes are loaded with pigs which i'm 99 percent sure they are Blue Cats. I also had a real slow 2006 and my best guess is the big blue cats are just flat stuffed all the time. I sincerely believe that these fish have learned to use the asians as a food source. Its rare I catch small asian carps in my bait nets, but I do catch them on occasion, and I've caught some nice blues on them used live, and as cut bait. If indeed the Blue Cats have learned to forage on the smaller asians, then I would assume that nature will balance the population, and we will have some monster blue cats swimming our rivers and estuaries. In my opionion, we had weak shad hatches these past two years, especially last year due to the low water conditions, and that has forced the various catfishes to adapt and find additional food sources. Perhaps thats why so many BOC bros have been reporting some outstanding catches using the asians as bait. I hope I'm correct in my assumptions, as it certainly would not hurt if the catfishes are truly adapting to the changes in their environments and using the exotic asian species as a food source. Only time is going to tell. Whatever happens, I believe catch and release of the larger fish we catch is absolutely essential to preserving our beloved hobbies and heritage as Catfisherman.

9. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    We've got more than enough water here...wish we could send you guys some. (alot of water really)

10. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Hey Danny,

When you send us the water could you send some big blues with it? Just a thought! Seriously, thanks for your concern!

11. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Cuz you're a thinking man for sure. That theory of yours is interesting. I started catching blues on the cut asians after you told me how to cut em up but I never thought about the fact that they could be why the bite was so slow this summer from the blues just being full all the time. For sure there are plenty of them. I don't remember finding any asians in the bellies of the ones I kept but most of the time it's just goo anyway, can't tell what it is, or was. I'm going to be checking out the stomach contents of any I keep this spring for sure. How was your fishing pre-spawn last year? Mine was a little slower than usual but summer is when it went completely away, much worse than the usual summer slowdown. But just saying that, I realize that it may fall right in with your theory because about the time things really got slow is when the new carp were just getting up there to eating size.hmmm, we need to come up with the trick to catching the small aians huh? Anyway, great post.

12. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    hope for every 1 to have a good year little bit of a slow year last but was just getting into it good hope to go out an hook some big ones good luck to you all this year

13. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    In my area, prespawn was slow for the BlueCats, however we enjoyed a pretty decent flathead bite. In fact, I'd say the flat bite was a little better than average for the entire summer period. I caught quite a few flatheads between 5 and 20 pounds. One of my fishing buddies caught a 65 pound flathead off of a wing dyke also. However, the Blue's were terribly slow. I cant tell you how many hours I spent without a single fish. I threw every thing but dynamite at them. You can verify with the guys from Kentucky, but I'm pretty sure they enjoyed a banner year on the Blues down on the Ohio River. They have yet to get large numbers of the asians down that stretch of river. I'm afraid its only a matter of time. One thing is for sure, time will tell the full story. For now, I'm looking forward to attacking the river this spring and summer. AS well, I'm making a committment to do a little more traveling and fish some other places. I'd like to hit Alton and the dams at Clarksville and saverton a few times and your welcome to tag along when I'm up that way. I did notice you guys had one heck of a skipjack run up there this summer and we all know the Blue's love those things. I'm also planning on fishing a couple UsCats events, a couple Cabelas events, and probably will fish the BassPro Catfish event at Alton if they have it again this year. Good Luck out there and be safe.

14. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    John when you get ready to head up this way give me a holler and I'll be there , with my fishing gear and my note pad and gas money. Appreciate the offer, I know theres a bunch I can learn from you. Thanks

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    All offers of gas money are sincerely appreciated, and steadfastly refused. I invited you my friend. All you have to do is show up with rods and tackle in hand and try and put up with Cuz all day. :lol: Oh, and absolutely NO BANANAS!!!! Cant wait to come fishing. We just need the weather to break.

16. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Man you're a hard man to deal with John. I don't mind not being able to chip in on the gas but no bananas, that's gonna be rough. Looking forward to it just the same .:big_smile:

17. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    I'm hopeful that '07 will be a little better year than last. I caught some big fish last year but not as many as the year before. Unlike John, my flathead success was terrible. My "big one" for the year went 13 lbs :roll_eyes:

I know you all have been suffering from low water up there on the MO, but we've been near flood stage for a month or so down here in the SE corner. I'm ready for a little lower water, LOL!

18. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Cant wait to fish with ya Jack. Will be alot of fun.

Good to hear from you Shane. Thats strange with your flathead bite. Some things just dont make much sense because as a crow fly's, you just arnt that far from me. We have low water, your neck deep in it. Crazy I tell ya. Maybe we will get into them hard this spring and summer. I hope so. Anything has to be better than last years debacle on my home waters. I had to trailer the boat to Kentucky and Alabama to find fish. Pretty Sad. Hope you had a good holiday season. :big_smile:

19. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Hey John,

Yes, we had a great holiday season but I sure am ready to get after some cats now!! Hope you all had a happy holiday season also.

I guess one of the main differences in where we fish is that the Ohio comes into the Mississippi upstream of me. So we get all the water that comes from the Ohio Valley.

The water sure is dropping fast now. Come Saturday, it will have dropped 12 feet in a week :eek:oooh: Now if we could get some 40 degree temps, it will be time to go!!

20. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A couple of different things that will affect the fishing this year:

1. Water levels. We really don't have enough water in our rivers. For blues and flats this will cause problems. For the channel cats, they'll be easier to find in the smaller (<200 acre) lakes. Then again, with current limited, the blues may be easier to find. Find out where the current is and the baitfish (along with the blues) will be there.

2. Shad and asian carp. I don't think the shad hatch will be very good to us. The asian carp are eating all of their food. For the rivers (and any lakes they are in), asian carp will be the bait of choice. Get rid of as many of these invasive fish as possible, and the blues are getting used to eating them. We won't be able to use them live due to the new laws, so using them for flats may be limited.