2007 Lake Fishing Recap

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by chrisblue, Dec 23, 2007.

1. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    How does everybody rate 2007?

For me it was rewarding but very aggrevating.Everything was way off this year.The spawn seemed to be very late on the lakes I fish.It was a very unpredictable year, I scheduled sportswriters to go with me at certain times that was always good in past years but was absolutely bad at that time this year.

This year I found myself scratchin my head alot.It was one of those years where the log book is pretty much useless.Nothin happened the way it has happened in past years.I managed to boat more fish (blues and flatheads) over 40 lbs this year than I ever have but the overall numbers of fish where just pathetic.

I guess I would sum it up as humbleing but eye opening.:smile2:

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Well my year sure had it's ups and downs. This is really my first year of real full time hunting for the cats so it's been tough. I did manage to break 2 Pb's this year so that was great.

I've got to rate this year low as far as catching fish. I admit that these last few weeks have been great ; ) but the over all ( per hour of fishing ) I didn't do so well.

The up side is that this has been the best learning year ever. If I make it through this winter I think I'm gonna do soooo much better come spring. The other good part is that I made it aboard the -BoC-. Since I've been here I've met a lot of good people, that alone is priceless !!

I just hope the new year brings some rain with it. My Pb is gonna come out of shallow waters ( the fish God's told me so ) but if this continues there wont be any water to fish in : (

-Jim-

3. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    2007 was pretty good, I caught good numbers of fish. Bait was harder to come by this year, white perch just wasn't so easy to pick up.

The large blues of Marion didn't seem to easy to find either. But the lucky flathead catching picked up alot.

Wateree was the fun lake for me this year, only a few trophies but the nonstop action was great.

The low water problem was the biggest downer of the year.

All in all it was still a good year.

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hot! hot! hot! cold colder coldest and then hot hot cold. alot of marco pollow:smile2: cannot complain though. got my pb flathead and blue in 2007. some old spots didnt produce when they should but some new spots made up for it along the way.

5. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    For me it was a Great Year! Didn't get many fish but nailed PB in front of dam on moutery 50+ LB'ER (big as my scales would go) and if nothing else THAT made my year!!
    :009: MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY ! ! ! ! ! :0a18:

P S : RON I HOPE YOUR FOOT IS FEELING BETTER :worship:

6. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Three different times and under three different conditons I got to travel to Lake X and fish with some mighty fine folks and caught some nice fish every time, some on a hook and line and some on my brownie.

To top it off, I learned something new on every visit to Lake X and thru Lake X I got to meet POP POP, Paul Edmunds (on line BOC), ChrisBlue, Greg, LLoyd in person, and some others that I can not recall at this time.

On LKN I had my good days and bad days, production wise, but still enjoyed being out by myself or with others.

One thing that has impressed me about traveling around to Lake X, Wateree, Wylie, Santee, Hickory, Badin, High Rock, etc. is that they all hold water and cats, but in a way you have to fish them all a little different, even the type of bait, the presentation of the bait, trolling speed, all are slightly different. Yet the results are about the same.

I hope to make another trip to Lake X before the year is over and most likely it will be Thursday or Friday, if Turfman will let me tag along. :wink:

7. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    well mine was fantastic...no doubt about it...it's not really because i caught a pile of fish but i learned a ton and that makes it a great year for me!!

8. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    My year was great in that I caught my new PB on Flatheads and Blues and the flathead was really special cause I finally broke the 50lb curse. I fished less this year but I attribute that to low water conditions. I was the opposite of Chris I put a 1/4 of the bigger fish (25+lbs) in the boat but tons of smaller fish. Got to really work hard on my drift fishin and that is thanks to all of the info and helpful people on the BOC. I cany make any complaints though cause I did get to put alot of kids on some nice fish which I love to do and that is pricless to me to see the expression on their face. I would like to THANK EVERYONE on here for the unselfishness of info on how to make myself a better catman.

2oo7 isnt over just yet and I plan on beating my PB blue this week so watch for my amendem to this post.LOL

9. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    2007 Where to begin. It was an amazing year for me. I've learned so much.

It marks the year I first joined the BOC. Also my first BOC gathering on Murray. I'll tell ya that was cool! I've met some members that I now call friends and fish with almost weekly. Of course I had good days of catching a lot and days of just a few. That's just the way fishing is.

But I'll tell ya, the friendships I've forged mean more than any PB or cat I was lucky enough to lay a smackdown on. ISYN!

10. turfman

turfman New Member

State:
    SC
    Well this year for me has all been pretty good. First of all I have met some really good people on the BOC and fished with a lot of those people. Learned a lot from each one of them. Just being able to pick each others brain on different situations is really priceless as someone else already stated. I have gone to several different lakes around these parts just from talking to different people on here. That in itself has helped me with the way I fish on my normal lakes. It is amazing how every lake is different in its own way. I broke the 50,60,and 70lb barrier this year which was real exciting I don't know that I will ever hit the 80 club but A guy can hope I guess. Every barrier was a pb so all in all one heck of a year. It was all luck but i guess it counts in the end.

Eddie

11. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Well my year wasnt all that bad either I guess,I guess for me the numbers were up but the weights were down,we seemed to always get into the fish and the bites,just never did land the real big one this year,had a couple of real good bruisers get off,one at Monty and another during one of the Catmen tourneys at Santee.Most importantly though,met alot of good people on the BOC and made many new friendships that I am sure will last for years to come,learned alot of info and techniques on here that are put to use each and every trip.This past year also brought on the challenge of fishing tourneys,and what a blast we had,I fished several Carolina Catmen tourneys and just joined the Carolinas Catfish Club recently and did a tourney with those guys and also competed in some local rodeos we have at wateree,I encourage all of you that havent fished tourneys to come out and give it a try sometime,with these groups its not all about the win,its nice for the bragging rights,but the experience and the knowledge you gain is priceless,guys like chrisblue,sarswampfox,mudkip,wyliecat just to name a few have helped out alot and are great ambassedeurs for catfishing,my hats off to each and everyone of you guys and everyone else on here who are taking catfishing to a new level,wish all of you great new year and hope all of you get your new PB's this coming year

12. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    2007... I would have to say a great year.

Found several patterns I didn't know before. I hope they will repeat in 2008, but you know fishing can be fickle.

Was very fortunate in tournaments. Spent about half the time at the top and the other half at the bottom of the pile. Had a great partner in Wyliecat. He like LNB's is great at being supportive even when things may not be going your way. When you have good support like that your team can be successful. I am convinced that the greatest edge you can have in a tournament is confidence and the ability to fend off negative thoughts when it seems like they have the lockjaw.

When I look back on it, I have to say how lucky I am to be able just to go fishing. It really is a privilege just to have the freedom to do what you want.

13. catchaser1

catchaser1 Active Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    Well for me I would have to say its been my best year since I started catfishing. I really got into it about 3yrs. ago, and until this year I had only caught one good fish, a 30lb flathead, and nothing between 10 and 30lbs. This year I managed a 41, 38, 37, and a 35lb flathead, a 54 lb, and a 39 lb blue and numerous fish between 15 and 25 lbs. Its been very exciting, theres nothing like the fight of those big uns! I hope 2008 is at least half as exciting, if theres any water to fish in!:eek:oooh: I enjoyed reading all of yall's posts, have definetly learned alot on here and by just going fishing. Good luck to all in 08!

14. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    AMAZING!!!!!Just Great

15. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    my year wasn't to bad!! Lake Murray can be your best friend for a day and then your worst nightmare another! overall i can't really complain, BUT i've had better years!! the weather does have a great effect on Murray! Happy holidays to all...........

16. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    I learned the hard way that catfishing is supposed to fun and relaxing. Not always about catching a monster or about how many. Unfortunantly I learned this late in the year, so I hope in 08 I can get back to basics and just enjoy it. Good luck to all.

17. WillyMan

WillyMan New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I guess being the new guy was good this year. I just wish I could have been out there more and enjoyed the time just being there. The words of wisdome being passed down from you top dogs was right on point for me. Thanks for doing the time and passing good intel..

18. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina

man ain't that the truth!!!

19. cleon

cleon New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I just really got into catfishing about halfway into the year. I spent most of the year striper and crappie fishing. I am grateful for any time I can spend on the water. I have learned a few things about catfishing from this site, except where Lake X and Lake XXX are. I guess I have to pay a guide just for this information. :angry:

Overall, the year for me was okay when it comes to all species. I want 2008 to hold plenty of rain so I can get back on some of these low water lakes. In 08, I plan on doing twice as much catfishing and I hope to break my Pb. Hopefully, I'll meet new friends on the water and share many good times. Good luck to all in 2008! :big_smile:

20. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Come on Jeremie.This is gettin rediculous, you know and everybody else knows Lake X is Lake Monticello, it was just meant to be fun.You also know that Stumpy Pond is Lake XXX.We are all on here for several reasons and thats to learn and spread information about catfishin and protecting catfish and to meet other people that like catfishin not downgrading somebody for tryin to make a thread interesting.How the word Lake and the letter X put together can cause so much bickering is beyond me.

As for the payin a guide stab directly at me, I think that was a little uncalled for.I know theres a lot of guides out there that have gave guides in general a bad rap for being crooks and to secretive and what not and maybe you think they are all like that but they are not.Guides are humans, guides dont always outfish everybody on the lake, guides dont always catch fish, all guides are not a$$holes, not all guides have zipper lips, and last but not least guides do not and can not make a living guiding with the exclusion of some Santee guides where the demand is higher.Most of them even still have to carry a job on the side to get by too.

I've been openly sharing information and getting information on this site thru open posts and pms for years, all the way from the day I joined on the old forum.Yes I've layed off on reports because of all this crap but I still try to help where I can.I've fished with lots of members on both guided trips and regular fishin trips(99% being reg. fishin trips), giving and receiving information back and forth and plan to keep on doin it.Look back thru my posts and see for yourself.I've spent hours on the phone helping people out all I can and people have done the same for me.Thats what this site is all about and thats why I love it.Thats what fishin is about in general.I have not met a bad person on this site.

You knew what you where doin when you posted that, but why? Nevermind, I know why but you shouldnt always go by what one person says.:wink: If you dont like me because I try to make a little extra and much needed money for doin somethin I love thats your choice but you dont have to make remarks like that.