2007 Fishing / Hunting Regulations

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by AwShucks, Dec 27, 2006.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The State Department of Wildlife will be conducting meetings throughout the state in January concerning possible changes to the laws/regulations. Anyone who has any interest in fishing or hunting in Oklahoma should attend one of these meetins.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/2007_public_hearing_locations.htm

If you don't actively participate in the legislative process, you have no beef with the outcome.

2. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Lawrence, thanks for posting that.
    I'm going to try and be at the OKC meeting. I'm just curious as how it goes.
    Will

3. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I've been to them the last couple of years and there worthwhile going to and they do really listen to our thoughts. There was a couple of things up for proposal a couple of years ago that was shot down with overwhelming protest from outdoorman's.

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I don't believe I am going to be able to make it to one of the meetings. Lawrence, if you get to go can you or someone else bring up the question about gill traps and their legality based upon working in the regs?

5. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Tony, I'll ask later today when I get next years license. Plus gotta get my dad his old folks license. :tounge_out:
    Will

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I dont live in Oklahoma but do most of my fishing there. One law I would like to see changed is to allow cleaning of catfish on the water. As I understand it it is now illegal to do so but it is still legal to clean them at the dock and all it does is create a mess around the docks where we launch from. Please correct me if I am wrong about this rule they changed a few years ago.

7. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Johnny,

That was a proposal a couple years ago but it never passed. I went to those meetings specifically to protest that change. There was enough people protesting that proposal to keep it off the books. I clean my catfish on the water all the time.

8. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
  9. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR
    Thanks Chris. I'll go back to cleaning mine on the water and let others know also.

10. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Hey catfishcentral......correct me if i'm wrong..:crazy: but in oklahoma you used to could not throw your leftover-cleaned fish back in the water:confused2: and had to throw it in a proper trashcan....now you can throw them back in the water but not in the trash? by the way on the fish cleaning on the water deal..they do that so you can't hide fish and start over on your limit.....i think you should be able to clean them LEGAL on the water..after all there is only 2 fillets on a cat besides belly meat and head meat...all they would have to do is count the fillets and know how many was caught.....and that way the docks and boat ramps wouldn't all stink with floating leftovers........

11. catfishcentral

State:
    OK

Sam, Johnny

I went to those meeting two years ago and there was a ton of people protesting that proposal. I think the main troublemakers were the striper and hybrid fisherman. I guess there were some guides specifically going over there limit on either striper's or hybrids and saying they were sand bass fillets. :roll_eyes: That's what started that proposal I waited and waited to here back from the ODWC and finally stopped into the office here in Jenks to ask if that had passed or not. The warden told me that all the meetings held there was too many people protesting this action. Unless something has changed this is still the law. I never seen anything in the regs to say otherwise to think this person was not telling me the truth. If you ever have a question you can always call them or send a email. I've had to to it several times. The laws are sometimes not explained well enough or can be interpreted other ways.

Now I never heard you can put fish remains in trash cans at a LAKE,who wants to smell that nasty mess after a couple of days in the sun. Now it's legal to dump the remains in the water or in the trash can at your house just not at the lake dumpsters. I agree with the ramp and not wanting to leave a bunch of remains at the dock or ramp where people are putting in. I always just turn on the radio and clean my fish in the middle of the lake, toss the remains and only bring my fillets to shore.

12. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR
    I just spoke to Karlin Baily one of the game wardins for Sequoya county and he said they are still pushing to pass that law but as of right now it is still legal. He said they prefer you clean them at the dock. I will go back to cleaning on the water before coming in. He also said they were doing a catfish study and finding out that there are not as many big fish on the Arkansa river system as there used to be. Said there may be size and limit restrictions coming in the not to distant future.

13. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    I am all in favor of regulations that protect or fisheries, but I don't think enforcing creel limits by making mandantory cleaning restrictions is the answer. I realize there are some who may go outside the law (striper & hybrid fishermen?) but it's just wrong to penalize the remaining 99.9% for the actions of a few.
    Personally, because I live within 10 minutes of the ramp, I clean my fish at home and carry the remains back to the lake. It's just easier for me than cleaning the carpet in my Skeeter bass boat. It isn't a matter of whether a cleaning restriction would create a problem for me it's that it is just wrong and I will voice my opposition of any proposed changes.

I was in law enforcement for many years and have a great deal of respect for those who enforce game and fish laws. Can you imagine enforcing hunting laws when everyone you come in contact with is armed, legally? It has been my experience that those enforcing the fish and game laws are quite capable of catching violators and doing whatever is necessary. Yes it would be easier to have a law that reduces the amount of effort required to make an arrest of an offender. But in effect it is creating an enforcable law to deter violation of an already existing law.

Trust me, those people wearing the state patch, badge and gun are quite capable of enforcing the law.

Sorry about the rant but there are some things that really bother me.

Larry