2007 Abu 6500 C3

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by CJ21, Jan 24, 2007.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am wondering have u guys use or seen the new 6500's and are they still Made in Sweden, I am looking at getting one. I also am wondering are they better than the old 6500's?

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    The new ones have the new drag system thats supposed to be better.I have 1 new one(never been used) and 2 older ones that have been used thoroughly...Rough,dropped,thrown,you name it and they have been through it and still work great! Clean and oil/grease them as needed(1-2 times a year) and they'll last a lifetime!!! Good Luck with it!

3. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I have the one that came out last year, which is the current one for this year. I don't really care for the reel and that 6 pin braking system. Other than that give me one with dual end caps.

4. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I bought one liked it so went back and got three more put them on 8' catfish ugly sticks , i drift fish with them , no problems at all.

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Bought one right after they came out. Of course, I'm ignorant about the qualities of the previous models, but I love mine. Great at casting and a good drag.

6. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Love them....smooth and tough:cool2:

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    A great tough reel at a resonable price. A lifetime investment. Cheep at any cost.:confident:

8. lobo

lobo New Member

State:
    ks
    glad to here what you guys have said i am thinking about getting one

9. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    I would have to agree that the new reels are really nice. I have a 6500 C4 and love it.

I was really worried at first because when in free spool, if you even bump the handle it will smoothly kick it back into gear. I was worried that I might do this on accident and really mess things up. Since I have had it, I have had no issues and my worrying about things has stopped.

The part that I really like about the new 6500's is that they are so smooth...even when loaded down.

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    CJ, I read a post or an article somewhere that said if the reel doesn't have "made in sweden" On the side plate it is made in Indeoniesia. They have a factory there now. But not all their reels are made over there. If it does say MIS its gonna cost more cause its better quality. I have 5 older ones and they perform like new outta the box. You have to take them apart and service them 2X a year though just to be safe.

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Skip, I think I need to read up on that. Or call Abu and ask a few questions.