2006 Yamaha 50hp rpm's?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by miichael, Feb 8, 2007.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    How many rpms should a 2006 50hp Yamaha 2 stroke turn? a buddy of mine is looking to buy a new prop but not sure what the recommended rpms for his engine.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    5500 rpms would be about what he'd want the prop to turn. Near 5200 rpms, maximum hp would be achieved. Over that is a slight increase in speed at the waste of fuel and efficiency.

Got a tach?

3. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    yes he has a tach

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Got an owners manual?:smile2:

5. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    no owners manual. the motor is on a 16ft G3 boat. any idea what size/pitch he would need?

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    A 2006 engine that didn't come with a manual??? I'd march right back to the dealer you bought it from and demand one if I were you...

Barring that, many (but not all) Yamaha manuals are available online:
    http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/service/viewmanuals/outboard_manuals.aspx

If you can't find yours online and if the dealer won't give you one, you can order one either through Yamaha parts or your dealer.

As for the correct prop, I'd make a call to G3 and ask their customer support folks - they should be able to tell you exactly which prop to use for a given boat and motor combination.

7. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Just go to the mercury web site and use the prop finder. Yamaha and mercury engines are exactly the same as far as 4 strokes go. Not sure about 2 strokes but I'm sure you will get a good idea as far as what prop to get. I have a 2005 75hp 4 stroke and I have a laser II 22P stainless on mine and it works great for all around performance. Just make sure whatever prop you get is turning at the top of the manufactures rpm range at full throttle for best performance. Also if you go over redline with a prop then you dont have enough pitch and need to change it. My engine is rated for 5500 rpm at WOT and with the prop I have the max rpm I can achieve is 5500 rpm and 43 knots. Good luck with your decision.