2006 Changes in Missouri Catfish Regulations

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by spoonfish, Dec 29, 2005.

1. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I copied the 2006 changes in catfish regulations for Missouri.
    Just remember a lot of lakes still will have there own regulations posted.

The following changes in the 2006 fishing regulations reflect MDC’s commitment to the Statewide Catfish Management Plan. The blue catfish is a long-lived species that takes many years to reach trophy/quality size. By reducing the daily limit on blue catfish, the Department will be emphasizing that large fish are a limited component of the fishery. Unrealized potential remains for these large predators to refill a role they once played within the fish community. Increased encounters with large fish should also enhance overall angler satisfaction.

Current daily limits
    Currently the 2005 statewide fishing regulations for catfish harvest have been set at a daily limit of ten (10) channel catfish and blue catfish in the aggregate. This means you may harvest any combination of the two species as long as the total doesn’t exceed ten (10). There is a daily limit of five (5) flathead catfish. The flathead catfish aren’t included in this aggregate total. This means you may harvest as many as fifteen (15) catfish a day as long as five (5) are flatheads.

All three species of catfish may be harvested by pole and line, trotline, throwline, limb line, bank line, jug line, and falconry.

There will be no statewide length limit during the 2005 season.

Future changes to daily limits
    In the upcoming 2006 season some of these regulations will be changing.

Beginning March 1, 2006 the statewide daily limits on catfish will be changed. The flathead catfish daily limits will remain the same at five (5) and the channel catfish daily limit will still be ten (10). Blue catfish, however, will no longer be counted as a combined catch with channel catfish. They will have their own daily limit of five (5). This means that anglers will have the opportunity to return home with as many as twenty (20) catfish in total, five (5) flatheads, five (5) blues, and ten (10) channels.

The other regulations will remain the same as the 2005 season.

Always be sure to check for local regulations that may differ from statewide regulations before fishing.

Beginning March 2006

Flathead: Five (5) daily
    Blue catfish: Five (5) daily
    Channel catfish: Ten (10) daily

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Thanks for sharing SPoonfish. I just hope this helps out the blues as becoming a trophy fishery here.

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Thats good news.Even though you can now posess more fish,it will protect the"trophy"fish a little better.Sure would like to see a slot limit,maybe only 1 blue or flat over 30 inches per day.Its a start.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    That is a start.
    Wonder when the rest of the world will join?
    Pete

5. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    good move, I know this wont be, popular, but they, need regulate jugs, 10 to a boat or something, seen some bad abuse, with them on Truman,seen Truman look like decorated christmas tree with all the jugs.

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Seems we got a ways to go yet. I see they are still doing a trial in 3 areas to noodle fish :cursing:
    I agree Cook a slot would be my vote and that in turn might help on the number of trout lines and jugs people put out.....

7. cook

cook New Member

State:
    In a way,they did crack down on jugs this year.For those of you out of state,they must be visible at all times to the owner.That means no more throwing them out and coming back later.

8. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    How many channel cats do you guys catch in waters that are inhabited by blues? The blues here in Oklahoma have really taken over the lakes around here and maybe only 10 to 15 percent of the catifsh I catch are channels these days. I can't remember catching 10 channels in one day unless there's no blues in that body of water. Seems so easy to catch a limit of small blues 2 to 5 pounds in a afternoon that just putting a slot limit instead of lowering the limit of bluecats would increase the size.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    On Truman, it seems to depend on the bait. I haven't caught a channel cat since I switched to shad and started drifting more regularly. Prior to that, I used worms and various stink baits and caught only channels.

10. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Thanks spoonfish,

I picked up the most current fish and game book that wally world had yesterday (12/29/05) and those changes were not in there. It's good to know that the regulations have been changed.

11. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Thanks Spoonfish for posting the new rules, does this include the commercial fisherman as well?

12. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    They changed there web site for some reason, I finally found it yesterday.
    Here's the new link, hope it helps.

http://www.mdc.mo.gov/fish/

13. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for posting the new regs. I am glad to see they are trying to get more blues of record size in MO. There mag has been looking at trying to get more record size catfish in Mo. So I am happy. There is nothing more fun then fighting a big catfish. I hope they stick with it and we will see a record in MO.

Dave

14. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Thanks for the heads up Spoon, I sure hope it does what they intend for it to do.....nothin like locking in on a big one.

15. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Wolfie-I gotta agree.MDC has held talks and meetings the last few years about catfish,and banned the commercial aspect on the rivers.And then...BAM...they legalized noodling!!Made no sense to me.At least it was a limited area and short season.I'm hoping it was just a trial,and will be recinded soon.

16. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    This is going to get me in trouble, but I guess I don't see the difference in legalizing noodling and allowing trotlines and banklines. The guys noodling are pulling big fish, but with the amount of old lines that are around, I got a feeling the trots and banklines are taking a lot more big fish than the noodlers will. No big deal, if it's legal and it's the way you want to fish, go ahead. I just think that if you really want to build up the population of big fish, you cut down the limit of hooks you're allowed.

17. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Strolib,you look like a big dude,so I ain't going to whack you :crying: :crying: Wolfies on his own. :D

You have some good points,but reducing the hook limit will have no effect.Its the limit of fish and size that affects future populations.To some degree,a closed season during the spawn would help,but that ain't going to happen.

18. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Seems to me that the folks who are going to noodle for catfish and have any real success at it are the types who are going to do it whether it's legal or not. And I think we all know those folks exist today.

Those who would actually go to the effort under the current rules to buy a separate permit and make a report of every noodling trip they make seem unlikely to me to be serious noodlers. What kind of moron really wants to stick his arm in the mouth of a 40 or 60 lb blue cat? And how many of those are dumb enough to do it a second time? Not me, that's for sure.

So even if they do legalize noodling across the state, I have a hard time believing it's going to decimate the catfish population - it's just not a big enough draw to attract that many fishermen.

Personally, I'm with stolib - reduce the hook limit and I'll bet you reduce the impact on the fish population. I don't question the notion that daily limits and size restrictions are a good measure, for those who will abide by them.

But tell me how many of you are going to put out a trotline with 32 hooks on it, run it and find it's got 15 big blue cats on and then let all but 5 of them go because of the new daily limit? Yeah, I know some of you are angels but the temptation is too great for many if not most folks. Especially when you're in the back waters of a lake or river, using a boat ramp that's not in the public eye and operating frequently under cover of darkness.

Change the law to allow fewer hooks and the agents will have a lot more teeth to make it harder for folks to abuse the legal catch and size limits. But I don't expect that to happen -- we'll be down to having no catfish to catch before they reduce the hook limits.

BTW - for anyone who hasn't reviewed the new noodling regulations, here's a page from MDC that explains it all pretty well:http://mdc.mo.gov/regs/hand_fish.htm

19. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Wolf, I probably do deserve the smack, but I guess I didn't say what I meant to well. :) I know that noodlers are pulling breeders off the nest, like I've said in other posts, my old man has been doing it forever. (I still don't get it, even after all these years) I guess my point is that either way, noodling, trots, or banklines, chances are that fish is going in the grease, no matter how big. The guys running lines that actually check them every day and do it like their supposed to, you're right, it's work between baiting, setting, and checking. I'm with T, though, most guys I know that run lines aren't in it to CPR or get their limit and turn the rest loose. If it's on the line, it's going in the freezer. I agree that noodling is taking the bigger productive fish off the nests. But I don't think the percentage of big fish taken by noodlers comes close to those being taken other ways. Don't get me wrong, a guy catches it, it's his to do with as he pleases. I just don't eat enough fish to need to "volume fish" to fill the freezer.

On a different note, I'm also starting to wonder if it's better to take one or two big fish a year to eat, since they're nearer to the end of their breeding lives than to take a bunch of smaller fish that in the aggregate over their lifetimes would produce more offspring. What do you guys think?

Oh, and Wolf, since we may both be at that Truman gathering, hit me with the flat of the paddle. It might sting more, but at least it might not break anything... :)

20. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well me personally, I feel that the biggest impact to the catfish is man itself. If you do go down to the Ozarks or Truman you will find trotlines all over the place and you are not going to tell me that they are ran cuz they have been there along time and most hooks don't have bait on them or have dead catfish. If all of those would run the trotlines when they should then that would be a big impact on the catfish. I can care less if you do trotline fish but I bet most on this board also run their lines and pull them out when they leave. That is fine but the other sort of people that just leave them there and don't check them when they should etc is the ones I am talking about.

I also like a slot limit. It will help the bigger cats. At Longview they have a slot limit on the smaller flathead. Anything under 24" has to be turned back to the water because they are trying to get more smaller cats.

I also feel that we have a chance to see cats of our grandfathers and great grandfathers but it will have to be a state getting involved. That would mean that the illegal taking of cats (over the limit) and illegal methods (comm nets/ more trotlines then legal/ and more jugs than legal) would have to stop. I have heard from afew people in passing of them limiting out and they keep fishing. Sometimes catching two and three times their limit and taking all the fish home. Now that really hurts the population. We really need to cut that out if we want to have good fishing for the future.

Dave