2006 Catfish Predictions for Missouri?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Blue Bruiser, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Hey guys just wanna get a general census on how you guys feel about the outlook of the action this year. Will we hammer the P*#S out of em or have slow times as we did last year. Chime in guys.

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I hope we hammer them this year. Every year it keeps getting better for me. The more time I spend on the water the better knowledge I have. I'm just hoping I can break that 50 pound mark.

3. cross_their_eyes

cross_their_eyes New Member

State:
    Show Me State
    If we get some steady rain off and on throught the year it should be good. I hope we don't see the super low river stages. Real low levels seemed to slow the fishing down for me last year; especially mid summer.

4. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Good question. I know last year, we couldn't even start fishing until March because the water was up over flood stage for quite a while & it was real cold then too. I really haven't stopped fishing for very long this year. Maybe a week or two here & there.

I'm hopeful that even with different water conditions & temps this year, it will still be better than last. Last year I caught a 51 & 54 in March. For this year, I got a 50 in January and a 54 yesterday. But I plan on really breaking loose any day now, LOL.

Time will tell, when we get a little warmer weather, how the fishing will be. Regardless, we'll just have to make the best of it.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Populations seem to be stable, and catch and release if becoming more popular, so all that is a good sign for the fish. The down side is that fishing in general is becomming more popular and the interest in catfish is growing due to the press it has been receiving and that means more anglers on the water with whiskers on their minds.

It will be a year when I hope we will see more promotion of "catch and release" for catfish. There is an old paradigm among many anglers about catifsh being a species that can be harvested heavily, and this means many anglers keep everything they catch. I hope that we can change some minds and get anglers to start letting this fish go so they can grow and so that young anglers will have the chance to experience taking a trophy catfish.

Weather will play a big role on how the fishing is in your area. The fish will eat regardless, but high or low water conditions will make it harder for the anglers to catch fish. Long range forecasts show the Pacific northwest wetter than normal, and much of Texas drier than average.

Personally, I see my fishing getting better and better. I am fairly new to trophy catfish hunting, and I am learning a lot from other fishermen and a lot from this website.

6. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    i'm hoping for a great year,weather is going to be a big factor

7. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Weather is always a factor in fishing. But with the MO Conservation Dept. regulating catfishing more closely that should help increase the overall catfishing. One of the lakes I am going to visit this year has told the anglers to keep their limit of channel cat because they have over populated the lake. Man that would be sweet if everywhere they wanted you to keep your limit of cats because they was over populating the lakes and rivers.

But overall if we keep getting the rain it should be a good year for the catties. If we have a dry year again then of course the fishing will be slow. I just want to catch a personal best again this year. I really want a 60+ cattie but I will settle for a 30+ one this year.

Dave

8. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Someone PMed me wanting to know what lake I was talking about so.
    Thomas Hill Reservoir (Northeast Region)
    Information: (660) 785-2420

4,500 acre Thomas Hill Reservoir provides water for cooling Associated Electric’s coal-fired generators. The warm water discharge results in a unique, year-round fishery. White Crappie are one of the most sought after species and anglers should expect similar action in 2006 as in 2005, but with fewer large fish. Our fall 2005 trap-netting survey revealed more adult crappie than in 2004, but only 25% were 9 inches or longer. Popular with wintertime anglers due to their attraction to the warm water discharge, hybrid striped bass are known for their fierce fight. Fish exceeding the minimum length limit of 20 inches can be caught on rattling lures, soft plastics and jigs, as well as chicken livers and minnows. Both crappie and hybrid striped bass are vulnerable through the winter months in and below the warm-water discharge canal on the southeast side of the lake. Largemouth bass enthusiasts will be pleased with Thomas Hill Reservoir in 2006. Anglers will find higher numbers of bass and a larger proportion will be 15 inches or longer than in 2005. Flathead and channel catfish round out the angling choices at this reservoir. A majority of channel catfish are small due to overpopulation, so anglers are encouraged to take home their daily limit of ten. There is the potential to catch a large Flathead catfish and they can be best pursued with live bait in late May and June. Brush piles were placed in the lake as fish-attracting cover from 1991 through 1994. In spring 2005, eleven of these brush piles had new brush added to them and four new brush piles were constructed. Call the Northeast Regional Office to request a location map, or just look for the bright yellow "Fish Attractor" signs on shore; the brush pile is nearby.

http://www.mdc.mo.gov/fish/prospects/

Is the website that I got that from. It would seem the MO Conservation Dept. is giving out their own predictions or prospects so good luck and happy fishing.

Dave

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Nice fish Shane. Good Job. Hey Chris, I say we wack em this year. The blues little gums are already itching. But, I have to wait 6 weeks. I'm boatless. Sold my rig yesterday, and its 6-8 weeks till my new one comes in. Man, the ol lady owns my a$$ now. LOL. Guess I'll be catching up on the honey do's.

10. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Dang John. I think i just shed a tear. lol Dosen't mean ya have to wait 6 weeks though. Im sure we can smuggle you out for a trip or 2. We could use another guy on the boat that we don't have to babysit. LMAO. Long story. Did ya get my PM I haven't heard from you lately.

11. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You can bet we are going to get em this year from the Show Me State! Just need a few more rains for the water to come up here at Flamm City..

12. JReed

JReed New Member

State:
    Lima, Ohio

I dought you could catch a fish Mr. Whiskers!! :p

13. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Lol yea it is pretty hard to catch just A fish.. Long time no see. Get ready.. Im going to break everyone of these poles on em!