2005 Mercury 50 ELPTO h20 pump

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Rookie12, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    going to do a h2o pump change in my motor next week. The guy at the local shop told me all I needed was an impeller and that the housings didn't give much trouble with these motors. He said I probably didn't even need a gasket for the housing that you most of the time could re use them in a Mercury, but not likely in an Evinrude. I've also hear nightmares about getting the shift shaft out of time. What can I do to minimize this problem. I am a mechanic so I can find my way around an engine, but outboards are new to me. I've heard to put the motor in gear before dropping the foot. All I see are 4 bolts in the foot also, does this sound right, or are there some hidden somewhere? He also quoted me around 22-25 bucks for an impeller. Does this price sound about right? Thanks for all input!

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    There should be two nuts located on top of the plate to the rear and one inside the housing right over the prop. That one lets the trim tab off and then there should be one located under the trim tab and another under the plate about midway of the housing above the prop.

About 25 is close to the right price. If it has the stainless cup and wear plate the you will only need an impeller. Check that wear plate and if it shows signs of wear, replace it. Never break down a water pump without installing new gaskets.
    Some of those motors were made to be left in gear but if you will not disturb the shift shaft and black knob setting around it then it should go back together alright.

Don't be to concerned about the cost of replaceing the pump. Shop around and get a good deal is okay but in the end that pump is the life line of that power head. If it overheats that power head is going to cost a whole lot more then the pump would have.

3. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I will tackle this one sometime this week on enight then. Hopefully everything will go smooth. I can't get on the lake next weekend so I've got about two weeks to work out any bugs I may cause. I think I might go ahead and throw a set of plugs at it and change the lower unit oil. Is there any brand plug that you recommend over another. I put one set in it a couple years ago and I think they were NGK, but I can't remember. might decarb it too. Never done it in 4 years, but I run it pretty regular and pretty hard so it shouldn't be too bad. Is that Seafoam Deep Creep as good as I hear it is? I may try that to decarb it. Thanks again Bubba!