2005 merc lower unit

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by brad kilpatrick, Jan 16, 2009.

1. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I have a 2005 Mercury 2 stroke 90 HP motor, the lower unit went out on me last season. I've been looking on Ebay at lower units and have found some that i think will fit with some very good pricing. can anyone tell me what years lower unit will fit My motor?

2. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I can't answer your question Brad. But I am curious if it is common for a lower end to last only 3 years? I ask because I have 2005 Merc on mine and I hadn't planned on replacing a lower end this soon.

3. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    just don't go around wacking stuff like i do and you'll be fine. it's not mercurys fault its mine

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I got 2 4 strokes. Hope it isn't a problem.

5. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    its not a mercury problem. I hit something on the Kansas river very hard with the lower unit, thats when My problems started. settle down merc owners, if you don't go around hitting stuff hard your lower unit should be relitivley trouble free

6. dennis boehm

dennis boehm Member

State:
    olathe kan
    brad you can go back to a late 90,s model I believe just have to make sure gears,shift dog match up. have you called boatworks on osage the sell rebuilt lower units for sale with a guarntee I believe. if not I got a open seat in my boat anytime goodluck:smile2:

7. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    I'm looking at one on ebay right now that is new. it was removed at the dealer because the guy wanted a jet unit. If it'll fit its a steal at $600

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <if you don't go around hitting stuff hard your lower unit should be relitivley trouble free>

Lower units catch 'el on the Big Pee Dee too. When you say it "went out", what exactly happened to it. Cracked the housing? Seals went out, ran dry, locked up? They CAN be rebuilt, at substantial savings over a unit replacement.

Bill in SC

9. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    smacked something pretty hard it started losing the reverse gear. I kept running it hoping i could make it through the season but before having it fixed. unfortunatly the foreward gear started making a god awful noise too. I shut her down for the season. I've been quoted $3000 for a complete new lower unit. I have some very visible damage on the housing so I want to replace the whole thing as I'm hoping to be parting with the boat in the next season or so.

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <I've been quoted $3000 for a complete new lower unit.>

Wow! That's a tough pill to swallow. I reckon I would look for a USED lower unit. Should be easy to find for that engine!

Bill in SC