2005 Merc 4 stroke

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by AZflats, Nov 20, 2006.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Howdy,
    This little engine, (25hp) has been pushing my 20 foot pontoon for about two years now. It has worked hard to say the least as I fish nearly every weekend...

* I want to be sure it continues to run good and gets me back and forth.

* I routinely change the engine oil, lower unit oil, and plugs every 6 months or so.

* Is there a check list of tasks to complete that I should be doing for this motor? ~ I read a post about decarbing the engine. Is this something I should be doing?

** Also, recently the little engine has been hard to start and will turn off if left on idle.

Thanks!

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Your owner's manual will list all the routine and preventive maintenance that your motor needs.

If it's a carbureted engine (and I'll bet it is), your idle and starting problems are probably due to a gummed up carb. The regular use of fuel stabilizer will help prevent that problem, but now that you already have the problem, an overhaul might be needed. With the engine being so new, however, I'd take it back to the dealer first and see if they'll fix it under warranty.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Andy I don't know much about a 4 stroke but I know some people that work on them and I'll ask a few questions and find out.

4. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I was told that running higher octane fuel eliminates a coating on the plugs that is not carbon but is caused by a additive that is not present in the higher octane gas that will cause the motor to run rough.
    This is what I have been told by a service center, I myself do not have any idea if it is true or not.

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I don't know how many times myself ,T,Bubba,BobPaul and others have said to run a good stabilizer in your fuel all the time.TODAYS gasoline is crap and deteriorates within 30 days.Doesnt matter carb, injected,2 or 4 stroke.It is turning to gum and varnish right now sitting in your tank if you dont have stabilizer.PRI-G is one of the best and is what I use ,it also prevents carbonization as will Ring Free or other manufacturers anti carbon products.Would you knowingly put gum,varnish and sludge in your fuel tank not to mention water?No then invest a few extra dollars and use fuel stabilizer all the time.PRI-G is available from West Marine, Boaters World and other boat stores.:smile2:

6. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Thanks for the responses..
    ~ I will refer to the owner’s manual for regular maintenance items.
    * And I will start using Sta-bil in the tank...

~ A friend looked at the engine and feels it is sucking in air through a fuel line that is not clamped to the fuel filter.

* So I will get the lines clamped, the fuel tank cleaned out, and add some fresh gas with some Sta-bil...
    * If I still have issues, I have an appointment at the repair shop for Monday...
    * If it is sounding good, I will be out looking for flattys this weekend with a sac full of cold turkey!!!:big_smile: :big_smile:

Q: Do I need to decarb the engine?

Thanks again fellas, your wisdom is invaluable.

Take care!

7. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    Andy I have all the work on my 20hp merc, done at Performance Marine in Glendale. The way I look at It, everyone is trained in one field or another. So take it to someone who know what they are doing and have it done right and be done with it. You know the old saying PAY ME NOW OR PAY ME LATER.
    Good luck Bill