2003 merc 50 hp-leave it alone?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by uglymike, Mar 3, 2008.

1. uglymike

uglymike New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    A year ago I bought the boat, motor, trailer, and a bunch of extras as a package from car dealer (trade in for truck). Boat is a Lowe Roughneck#1652/factory camo that didn't have a scratch on the inside of the boat, leaving me to believe it was used very little. Motor runs great, all I did was pull the plugs and clean, re-gap and put in a new fuel filter. Went thru about 2 gallons of oil last year, just an indication of how many hours I used it (vast majority of it 5mph or less). Followed winterization list to the letter before I put it in a covered shed for the winter. Am new to the boating world, and my question is; is there any scheduled maintenance for the motor that I should be aware of? I don't have an hour meter. Thanks

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yep change the lower unit oil, which by the way should be done in the fall before first freeze, change the two little gaskets behind the fill and drain screws while you are at it. Put in new plugs and add sea foam to fuel to help keep carbon down. Trolling at that speed will create carbon. Pull the prop off and check for fishing line behind it and grease prop shaft some to keep prop from sezeing onto shaft

3. uglymike

uglymike New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Thanks for the prompt reply Bubba. I did the lower unit thing before I put it up last fall, replaced gaskets also. Plan on installing and have ordered stainless prop from Cabela's, should be here this week. Put in Sta-bil in fuel before last outing of the year to make sure it was all in the fuel system. Just in time, 'cause the ice is just now melting off the lakes here in Nebraska and I'm chomping at the bit to get after those channel cats right after ice-out!!:smile2:

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Well looks like you about have it covered. Nothing like a good plan. All I will suggest is to do then is to add some sea foam to keep the carbon down because the sta-bil won't do that part.

5. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    you could also buy Pri-G it does better things for your engine, it keeps the fuel fresh, keeps carbon low as well as many other things. Just a suggestion. One quart treats 512 gallons of gas.