2003 Chevrolet S10 4x4 Crew Cab

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by kyelkhunter3006, Nov 30, 2009.

1. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Anyone have one? Anyone know someone who does? Love it, hate it? Known major issues??

Debating buying one to replace my old 1993 F150 4x4. It died, I spent $1700 bringing it back to life and it died another death. I'm done with it. :angry::sad2:

I don't really need a full size truck for what I do (95% of the time anyway). Hunting/fishing/baseball/football/basketball (yeah, I have 3 boys) so the extra cab is MANDATORY for any truck I get, and 4 doors makes it that much better. I don't really tow anything heavy and the 4.3 VorTec is pretty much bulletproof, but gets decent gas mileage.

2. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Get a coolant pressure test on it first. Those 4.3L (as well as a bunch of other gm motors) are known for blown intake manifold gaskets and head gaskets also. I would also take it onto a grassy lot and make sure the 4x4 engages properly. Lots of them electronic 4x4 engagements have problems. If you do buy it, get rid of the orange "death cool" antifreeze. It didn't get that nickname for nothing.

I would think with 3 boys that little truck would be cramped quarters. The kids are only gonna get bigger, and it looks like you keep your vehicles a while, so make sure it will be big enough for you (think like, what if a buddy wants to go also).

My little '98 s10 has a 4.3 in it, its been a pretty good truck, especially considering what i've put it thru. The gas mileage isn't great, so dont think you're gonna save any gas by buying it. Dad's '99 silverado (5.3 2wd ext cab) gets as good if not better mileage than my 2wd reg cab long bed s10.

3. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    ima huge s10 fan but they arent known for there room..if ya got a family..id opt for something a little bigger..

4. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    I guess I should mention that my wife has the family car: 2005 Pontiac Montana SV6. This would be my toy, more than anything else. :smile2: I keep flip-flopping back and forth between truck and SUV. I didn't really use the my old truck for much hauling, maybe a couple times a year, gravel, mulch, and other stuff like that. The problem with an SUV is that you CANNOT find one with anything but carpet in it, even in the cargo area. I can get a rubber mat for it, but dang it, "outdoor" smells and fluids (fish, deer, blood, bait) just ruin them when it gets in the carpet. That's what the bed would get used for.

I need something that can pull my old boat (if ever get it back from the shop) and maybe a trailer every so often. Nothing heavy though. That model year is rated for 5000lbs (the old Ford was rated for 5500lbs). If it wasn't for the ability to tow and some off-road areas, I'd just get another mini van.

5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hell go for it !!

6. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    I had a '91 4x4 Blazer and loved that truck. It was a tank and it would go anywhere. It was a 4.3 and I got almost 19mpg on the highway. I didn't care for the digital instrument panel, it would blink in and out. I got really good at using the tach to gauge my speed. I ended up selling it because a cylinder got scored when I blew the gasket on the oil filter assembly. It was that silly design where the filter was up by the wheel well and the oil lines ran down into the engine. I lost pressure on the highway and had to drive it for a couple of miles afterwards (where I was at in Cincinnati is not a good place for a young white man to be wondering around at 2:00AM, if you get my meaning).

7. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Where all da white women at?!

8. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    They aren't where I was.... on my way to work at a vending company...

9. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    They were still using that design on the 4x4 models up until the end. They are also known for transmission and oil cooler lines going to/from the radiator leaking (been there done that a couple times). They dont usually just fail, but they will leak eventually at the crimps between the rubber hose and steel fitting. Fuel pump failure seems to be a common occurence on gm trucks also. Seen quite a few 4.3L that needed fuel pressure regulators replaced.
    Its a very stout motor for a V6, cause its basically just a 350 V8 with 2 cylinders lopped off. I just wish they would have done a few things different with the gaskets and some other failure prone items.

10. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have a 2002 gmc sonoma sl5 crew cab 4x4 with the vortec 4.3 right now it has 235000 miles uses no oil runs great plenty of room for me an my wife an daughter

11. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    What kind of gas mileage you get out of it?

12. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i have a 94 s-10 blazer with 187,000 miles it has the cpi injection on it and i get around 17 mpg and i got 97 with 155,000 this one has the throttle body inj it does a little better i have got 24 mpg out of it on longer trips