2002 50hp Mercury not going into gear

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by gonecatn, Feb 18, 2008.

1. gonecatn

gonecatn New Member

State:
    arizona
    Ran great when I put it away. Starts right up, but wont shift into forward or neutral. This is on an 18ft pontoon with remote shifter that has a neutral safety switch built in somewhere. You have to be in neutral to start, but not now. It will start up no matter where I shift it to. Does anyone know if the neutral safety switch goes out, will it keep the motor from going into gear? I know it sounds wierd, but I'm hoping it's simple like that. Thanx for any info.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Dan, please post the make, model, serial number and year of your motor. Bubbakat can probably help you, but I can almost guarantee you that he is gonna need that information. It may be that you have accumulated some rust or thick gunk on your cables since the motor was last used. Thats the first place I wouldd start, then I'd get the manual out and do the checks for the linkage. I'm sure you'll find the problem in one of the two areas. Oh, yes, is your motor one of those electrical shift jobbers? That is another animal to itself. lOL

3. gonecatn

gonecatn New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hi Lawrence,
    I tried calling the marine place I bought the boat from, but they and everybody else was off for presidents day and also monday seems to be a good day off for them around this area. With the Mercury's all you pretty much need is the year and hp which is all I have in my manual and it's in my post title. I think it might be one of those "electrical shift jobbers". I've never had a motor stop shifting into gear just from sitting in the off season. I was just seeing if anyone else might have had this problem before. Everything shifts smooth and feels exactly as before which is why I'm stumped. I'll know more tomorrow and post any more info I get. Thanx for the suggestions.

4. gonecatn

gonecatn New Member

State:
    arizona
    Thanks Lawrence, it was the cables, had to take the remote apart to lube them.