2000 Mercury 40 hp ELPTO alarm

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by heavyduty413, Jul 14, 2008.

1. heavyduty413

heavyduty413 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Wondering if anyone knows what's wrong with my motor. The alarm under my dash is going off (steady tone). I have checked the temp gauge and it is functuioning properly. I replaced the oil sensor and it is still going off. It first started as I was putting the boat in neutral and turning the key off. I disconnected the oil sensor ( it stopped) and I am keeping an eye on my oil level (it is oil injected).

2. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hey Guy,
    I have a 2006 90 h/p Mercury It sounds your temp sensor, like the oil sensor is a beep beep and the temp is a steady tone on mine.

It maybe full of sand, id recommend clean it out, change temp sensor and try it!

I just had to have mine cleaned out and its linkage adjusted, new impeller.

3. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If i'm not mistaken there's a sensor for the guage and one for the alarm. the sensor that triggers the alarm may be faulty and still show good temperature.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    The alarm, itself could be faulty also.

5. heavyduty413

heavyduty413 New Member

State:
    virginia
    I found the problem. There is a float in the oil tank that has a magnet attached. Sometimes the float gets waterlogged and does not float which causes sensor to think the oil is low causing the alarm. I took the tank off and turned it upside down with wires attached and the alarm stopped. I found this information on the web with several other people experiencing the same problem. Have to buy a new oil tank now. Thanks to all who offered ther assistance.

6. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo

I glad you could save your engine!:big_smile: