2000 Merc, 25 hp Fuel problem?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by fishnfwl, Sep 26, 2007.

1. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    OK, have a 25 hp merc, tiller steer, runs great starts every time, Problem, Yesterday while out in some shallow flat areas I had put the motor up on lock to run trolling motor in shallow, after a minute or so I smell raw fuel! go back and see a drip coming out of the area where fuel line connects. leak is maybe 1 drop every 45 sec to a minute, when engine is back down to shallow run or down position no drip? tried several different angles at home can not reproduce the drip? Engine was not running while up (naturally) any idea where this came from and why I can not find where it was coming from?
    Thank you for any thoughts.

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    well after a bit more looking and checking I think it is a leak coming from the Primer pump, not sure if that is what they actually call it but the only number I find on it is 17708-C, I am assuming that the gasket must be broken now, the screws (4 of them) were a bit lose, not real bad tho, turned them no more than 1/4 turn and it only drips when the engine is locked all the way up and turned to left side facing the tiller.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Is the part you are calling the primer bulb is it on the side of the engine or is it down on the fuel line before you get to the engine.
    I have always found that if it can leak gas then it can suck in air while running.

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Willard I agree, no it is mounted up on the side of carb, on front of engine it has an idle speed adjust by twisting it and a pull/pump to prime the carb, which just runs to this little square that has a blue button on top for the actual prime? (gee if that didn't confuse ya nothing will)

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Okay I am with you now. I will see if I can locate the gasket kit for it because if it leaks a small amount now it will only get bigger.
    BTW don't ever use any kind of a sealent on those gaskets. If you need to use anything just plain wheel bearing grease will work on it to seal.

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Great, Yea can't be much to it just from the looks and how it works can't be much more than a gasket or two and maybe a spring and/or O-ring... any way I thank you Greatly for your help, hope you can, have to get it some where may as well be here! Any way here is all the info I can think of,; Engine=2000 Merc 25EH; Serial # OTO91686,; (part) #1708-C<----{this number is on the top plate. Again thanks for your help Willard.

7. Eurolarva

Eurolarva New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    If the leak is near the carb this is normal when a motor is in the up or trailered position. What happens is when the motor is tilted up it puts a lot of pressure on the fuel float due to gravity and the needle will open allowing fuel to fill the bowl to the point of overflow. When motor is shut off it is still pressurized for a while and while it is pressurized it will cause gas to overflow out of the carb. I may be wrong here but I am one post closer to 10 so I can start using my PM. :D

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yes thats just not the case with my engine tho,Altho, that was looked into when I first noticed it, I know its a bad gasket, or O-ring, one of the two, Get it fixed up here one of these days.....:big_smile:

9. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Good site for repair manuals on-line?

10. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I guess there is none?????

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Randy I am sorry I missed this but I PM'd you a site and on the gasket I will try to find that out to.
    I have been busy relocating the kitchen and hanging cabnets and haven't had the time to look everything over like I useually do.

12. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    No problem Willard, finally found the set! thanks a million, like I was saying the dealer won't sell the parts unless he gets to put them on, and well I don't care for that.
    Good luck on the remodling job! Next you'll be picking out new curtains and carpet!:eek:oooh:

13. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    A dealer near me acted the same way when I went in to get some stuff to do a water pump job on my motor? I asked how much for impeller, gaskets and such and some lower unit lube. They were all surprised that I was actually going to do it myself. I told 'em, " look, I can overhaul any engine you throw at me any day of the week and fix anything that has wheels, I think I can handle a little impeller." They kept talking about getting shift linkages out of time and this and that. Finally, I just got my stuff and went on, next time I was in there getting some fishign stuff, I threw my old impeller there on the counter and they just smiled at me and shook their heads. Why do some people have to be stuck up?