2000 Johnson 25, how do I remove starter?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Catfish Pursuit, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds stupid but I'm not sure exactly how to remove the starter on this motor. Is it something I can do or should I take it somewhere. I build my own engines for my race car but this is kind of a new thing and I don't want to take off more than I need to. Basically changing the starter or gonna have this one rebuilt. It's a 2000 Johnson 25 hp with electric start. Starter tries to spin but stalls out and then the ground wire starts smoking. Been doing this for a while but would usually start the motor if I bumped the start button a few times but now its just dragging. Battery is new, terminals are clean, gotta be the starter I guess. Thanks in advance, Chris

2. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Chris, are you sure you have the proper sized wiring running things? Alot of times improperly sized (too small) wire, or loose connections will cause an overheating situation like you mentioned. I'd start there before replacing a possibly good starter.

lol, not much of a boat mechanic myself, but just replaced the starter on my old Chrysler OB. Sounds like you have a fair amount of mechanical ability, so I don't think you'll have a problem.

Hope this helps,
    Smitty

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    There's two bolts on the rear side and a nut that comes off a stud in the top front. A fairly easy change.

4. Catfish Pursuit

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds crazy but all of the wiring is the same as when I bought it so I think it might be the starter. I'll double check everything first though. Thanks for the replies. Chris

5. Catfish Pursuit

State:
    Missouri
    Well, I've been messing with this starter for a couple of days now and all I have to say is it sucks! I finally got the two small long bolts out of the bottom, post is unbolted, and starter still will not come out of housing. It moves free but there's not enough room to pull it down and out of the black ring where the gear is. Seems like I might have to pull the flywheel and the top of the motor off or something. Hate to have a dealer do this because of cost. Any ideas? Chris

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Is this by any chance, a 4 stroke?

7. Catfish Pursuit

State:
    Missouri
    Sorry, its a 2 stroke. Chris