Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After several price quotes for an 18 foot modified V johnboat from not only different dealers but different brands none of which came out less than $25,000 the way I wanted it rigged I decided to hit up craigslist. I found a year 2000 Crestliner 18 foot modified V with a homemade trailer and a 2004 mercury 60 2 stroke for $3500. I took the 2 hr drive up to Jacksonville and headed back home with the package deal haven’t paid $2800. I figure with a couple weeks worth of elbow grease and maybe $5000. I’ll have the boat I want saving at least $15,000. The first thing I did before anything was went to the title office and make sure I had a clean title then I came home and started pulling the boat apart. I removed the casting deck, the floor or deck, and front side trim. This will allow me to inspect the floors clean real well and add foam.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Asphalt Composite material

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Asphalt Composite material

Wood Road surface Flooring Floor Building

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After several price quotes for an 18 foot modified V johnboat from not only different dealers but different brands none of which came out less than $25,000 the way I wanted it rigged I decided to hit up craigslist. I found a year 2000 Crestliner 18 foot modified V with a homemade trailer and a 2004 mercury 60 2 stroke for $3500. I took the 2 hr drive up to Jacksonville and headed back home with the package deal haven’t paid $2800. I figure with a couple weeks worth of elbow grease and maybe $5000. I’ll have the boat I want saving at least $15,000. The first thing I did before anything was went to the title office and make sure I had a clean title then I came home and started pulling the boat apart. I removed the casting deck, the floor or deck, and front side trim. This will allow me to inspect the floors clean real well and add foam. View attachment 328186

View attachment 328186
View attachment 328187
After removing the floor the first thing I noticed was the foam was already removed and all the ribs in the deck or-the hull i should say were full of mud and sand.
Atmosphere Automotive tire Road surface Water Asphalt
I can’t complain however it’s 22 years old and nothing an air hose in a vacuum cleaner shouldn’t make short work of. I don’t understand why they would’ve pulled the foam out, I can still see it under the centerline and behind the sidewalls.
Atmosphere Automotive tire Road surface Water Asphalt

Automotive tire Wood Road surface Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Premium Member
12,254 Posts
I just noticed I’m uploading doubles on a couple of the pics I think I figured out a fix for that my apologies
That has happened to several others.
If you click the three dots at the top right of the post, you can click edit and make corrections to your post. You can put the flashing line/curser on the right side of the picture and then click the backspace key.

tight lines

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I spent about two hours this morning taking panels off and starting to vacuum, using a plastic putty knife and a flat point screwdriver to scrape in chisel up dried up sand and mud. I’ve probably vacuumed close to 4 gallons of crud so far. It started to get hot so I emptied the shop vac and moved on to something else.
Fluid Road surface Water Asphalt Composite material

Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got the boat as clean as I could with a scrub brush and pressure washer then used a wire cup in some of the bad areas. I found a lot of pitting and about a dozen holes. I enlarged the holes with a drill bit. Cleaned with acetone, then installed aluminum rivets. Instead of using 5200 I braised them with aluminum rods. At first I was concerned that I would have to scrap it but I believe it’ll be okay.
Rectangle Gas Tints and shades Artifact Font

Wood Rectangle Grey Road surface Stairs

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’m debating on how to seal the floor wondering if I should polish it or etch and paint. Maybe one of you guys or gals can chime in here with some advice. I have a sheet of aluminum to lay as a subfloor but I will go get that free float for a while so I can lift it up and inspect my repairs. After a few months I’ll rivet it down.

·
Administrator
Chattanooga TN
756 Posts
The pitting looks like where some one had batteries sitting, batteries on bare aluminum is not good, neither is treaded wood.

I don't think I would polish the floor for a couple of reasons, the glare will be hotter and blind you, also it will be slick as the dickens, especially when you get it all slimmed up good. lol A dark paint will get hot and a bright paint will glare also. I would go with a medium flat paint with a nonskid like sand in it. JMHO

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The pitting looks like where some one had batteries sitting, batteries on bare aluminum is not good, neither is treaded wood.

I don't think I would polish the floor for a couple of reasons, the glare will be hotter and blind you, also it will be slick as the dickens, especially when you get it all slimmed up good. lol A dark paint will get hot and a bright paint will glare also. I would go with a medium flat paint with a nonskid like sand in it. JMHO
Thank you

1 - 20 of 39 Posts