200 mile Colorado river... fishing safari

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by gilmafam, Jun 30, 2008.

1. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Just got back from a fishing trip on the Lower Colorado River with my brother visiting from Wash/Oregon. My brother Al had not been down to the river in some 35 years, and so we decided to see some of the ole country side that he had not see since High School..

Since it was going to be hot, we decided to save on the gas money for the RV, and do the Motel thing....... our hottest day day of (weather) was 118..... with many days well into the 100 degrees.

We did well at catching our bait (gill) with pieces of crawlers, and fished several places each night for Flats...... even caught a nice channel on a smaller gill.

The main idea of the trip was to show my brother Al some ideas as to where to retire, since he is bout the same age as me, and likes to fish in places that are not "shoulder to shoulder" fishermen....So since I had the luxury of my new boat, we did a lot of "sight seeing" of the river.... "showing him" much of the river that we both have grown to "LOVE"

Sure is a lot of beautiful country down on the river.....met quite a few other fishermen while sitting in the "various water holes" doing our recuperation from the days or nights on the river..... Missed the local "catfish tournament" at Lake Martinez, as we had plans to be a Lake Havasu....looking and fishing from our motel at "Black Meadows Landing"

Will post more as I resize some of the pics....

Bayrunner Ray

2. gilmafam

State:
    California
    More on the trip..... Our fishing at Lake Havasu was for stripers....I had one G O O D S I Z E D one on and off, as a knot borke where the leader was tied on...... we did get three cats to hit our chovies, and we did not try with any live bait....

Again we did not keep any fish, as we were "roughen it" with sandwiches and "sit down food"....... must have gone through 20 bags of ice keeping the drinks and water cool.....

Here is the link to some of the pictures "on the road"

http://picasaweb.google.com/gilmafam/ColoradoRiv

Bayrunner Ray

3. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Looks like really fun times. Did he get an idea of where he might like to buy? You have some great pics of some of the better looking parts of the river in there for sure. Nice flathead too.

4. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Looks like you had a little luck with the flatheads.
    Pro'ly saved enough in fuel costs to pay for the motel rooms.
    But used it all up trying to keep your drinks cold.
    Gonna Email you with a question.

5. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Chris, thanks for te reply.... If i could have convinced my wife to search the site for your post on the az/ca gathering, I'd given you a call to meet up with us....... sorry I didn't..... should have seen the eyes of the "field workers" down in the VP lagoon area ..... I'm sure they have never seen a boat on the levy while they were truning the alfalfa...LOL we made our bait at McIntyre Park, and then went to PV to fish where Tom and Bert had their luck..... Not a bad night with three fish on the beach, and two broke off in the bushes......

Bayrunner Ray

6. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Ray,

It looks like you guys had nice time out there on the Old Colorado.

But I Got a Question for ya:

I know that he is going to retirer on the river,

But did you also tell him that part of the deal was when he get the place there / "He has to throw a "Mini Gathering at his home" (at lease once a year) for the members of the "Cailfornia Boys"?:0a23::wink:LoL
    (No-Just Kiddin')

Those are some nice shots you got Ray, thanks for sharing them with us all.
    :0a31:

7. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Nice, I did pretty good down that way last night with the kids. Probably would have been better if I had netted some more gills to take, they are getting harder to get as it gets hotter. I'll get some pics posted later. Definately let me know next time you are heading this way.

8. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Chris... I hear the market/liquor store in PV has mega sized gold fish for bait.... I have not got any.... but they are bigger than b&b mini baits..

Bayrunner Ray

9. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Cool I'll have to check, I havn't looked to see if they were selling bait for along time. I don't really get out there too much do to stupid gas prices. I have family out there though and can find out what they've got by phone call before I head out there.

10. gilmafam

State:
    California

Chris... just talked to a fellow at a local fishing shop, and he does the Blythe ditch thing all the time..... he thinks that thoes big flatheads are land locked.... I told him that if they wanted to they could go down the ditch and get into the river...... Anyway, he said the bait... carp at Paloverde are near 10-12 long.... now that is big bait....

PS .. the area that Tom/Bert and I fished is great spot for the kids.. as it is easy access to the water... walk right in.....

later... Bayrunner Ray

11. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Yeah I'd like to have some of those for bait. As far as the landlocked thing I find that to be true on about half of the ditches. Honestly though I don't think it matters much because the bluegill/talapia/carp are so concentrated in those ditches there is no reason for the flathead to go out into the river. That spot your talking about sounds like where me and the kids were the other day. 35th ave.