200 Merc winterizing question

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Mr.T, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Getting ready to put the boat away for the winter and looking at the winterizing section in the manual. Not sure about one part.

I have a 1994 200 hp EFI Merc. The book says to put stabilizer in the fuel tanks, mix well and run the engine for at least 15 minutes. So far, so good.

But the book goes on to say that I should get a small portable tank and make up a 50:1 premix plus stabilizer and then run that into the engine for another 10 minutes.

What's the point of this extra step? Since the engine is oil injected and I'd be feeding it premixed fuel, it seems like I'm just going to be running a double dose of oil.

Is it imperative that I follow this step? I don't have a portable tank and have already fogged the cylinders before I re-read the book and noticed that I missed that step...

Thanks

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I think the idea is exactly to feed the engine a double dose of oil to coat cylinder walls etc.During the old break in periods before computers ran everything double oil was pretty normal.If you dont have a portable tank I wouldn't worry about skipping the step particularly if you have fogged already.You can always squirt a little 2-cycle oil in the cyls and turn it over with the plugs out.This is a good point however to once agin re-emphasize that fuel stabilizer is best run in your gasoline all the time not just for lay-up periods.Modern gas oxidizes very quickly so I would use stabilizer every time I filled up.PS good for you for getting the book out and following it.That earns you a green dot now that I know how to do them.LOL

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Like Jim has said, the 50:1 in the portable tank is just for added oil during a long layup. You fogged the cyl's, good enough.