$200. for a reel. Are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by oahegw, Jun 17, 2009.

1. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    Maybe I'm just old and tight, but I find it hard to believe that there are reels for sale that cost over 200 dollars.

Are they really worth that much?

What say you??

2. tigman

tigman New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Not for me!

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    that depends on different things... but for me? no. For two hundred bucks I can buy two abu seven thousands that will do everything I want to do with ease.
    Welcome to the BOC Gary!

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The Dr. speaks words of wisdom! Welcome to the BOC!

Bill in SC

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    200, no...150 yes, I spend in the neighborhood of 150 bucks on each reel I buy.

I have one reel, a cutomised abu rocket that I have 300 in.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    There are Fords, Cadillacs, Mercedes, and Rolls Royce auto's.

All do the same thing, just as in many different products.

Fishing reels are no different, in that respect, and $200.00 for a reel is not out of line in the waters I fish. In fact it would be concidered in the low to midrange price.

I wonder about the sanity of bass fishermen, with the over $50,000.00 bass boats:wink:

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    There are tiny bass fishing baitcasters going for $500+:crazy:

I like quality stuff. My ABU 7000ic3's are up to $149 now so thats what I spend on reels. Have to buy 4 more this year.:eek:oooh:

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    It's not really about whether something is worth the price...that will always be a matter of opinion. More importantly, can you afford it or are you willing to spend it.
    To get the same strength, and reliability in a spinning reel as you get in a $100 casting reel you have to spend a lot more than $100. That is why I use casting reels.
    There isn't a fish out there that couldn't be landed on a quality spinning reel and they are much easier to cast with but I'm not prepared to spend the $200+ even though the reels are worth it.

It all depends on your point of view and wallet I guess...W

9. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yes, some excellent points...
    I have one or two reels that may approach the $200 mark, but, I didn't buy them new,, or old and beat up.. shop around..
    I'm reeeeel partial to Abu Garcia's Baitcasters.... own a big box full of them, 6500-7000-9000, in various models..
    I think I've paid retail for one of them, and that was 25+ years ago.. since then, E-bay, estate sales, etc, have provided most of the reels I own..
    I feel that,, even if I paid full price for a 7000 iC3,, it would be worth every penny, and, I'd consider it to be the finest I can buy, for the type of fishing I do..Flatcattin!!
    I've not had any that failed during a fish-on!!
    and,they're easily rebuildable,, and,, sooooo pretty :smile2:

10. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Do you need a $200 for catfishing?? Not in North America. Do you want a $200 reel for catfishing? Well, that's up to you, but yes, they are worth the money, IMO.

Do you need a reel that costs $200 or more for other fishing? Sure you do. Try finding a lever drag big game reel that holds 500 yds of 50lb mono for less than $200 new. It all depends on what you're using it for.

I firmly believe that there isn't a catfishing swimming in North America that can't be landed on an one of the large, quality spinning reels or an ABU 7000i. Nice reels for under $125. Would I take that reel to South America to fish for 300-400lb catfish? Noooo. After dropping a few thousand on a trip, the pain of traveling, etc, I'd be taking something NICE (over $200) that holds a lot of heavy line. After spending a lot of money to get there, the last thing I want to worry about is my fishing reel crapping out on me.

Everyone is different on their wants and needs. My brother thinks that I'm goofy for spending a couple fo hundred on a fishing combo, but he thinks that a $500 pool cue is very affordable. :eek:oooh: Same with another friend that has a $250 softball bat.:wink:

11. SlightlySeine

SlightlySeine New Member

State:
    Big "R" Town, Va
    $200 for a reel for Catfish? I'm new to primarily fishing for cat's, and have yet to familiarize myself with the tackle you guys use. But as a Striper fisherman for most of my life, I would say they are just as preferable with Catfish. Do I think you need one? No, not a all, but a great reel can sure make a difference when put to the extremes that we tend to put our equipment through. I like my Abu's a lot, very dependable, and a joy to use. I have no use for other than the Swedish built reels, but that's just from my experience. This is where I could get tempted to go overboard a bit, with Swedish/Hotrod/Abu's. But when it comes down to it, a Penn Squidder will make quick work of winching any Cat back to ya. Reels I have a hard time wrapping my head around are the VS and ZeeBass spinning reels, for $700-$1200! These guys have got to be compensating for shortcomings in other aspects of their lives :wink: IMO the top of the range is probably around $200-$250, with $125-$150 being a really nice/dependable reel.

Rod's are where I think the $$$ get nuts, but that's a different thread....

SS

12. kaous

kaous New Member

State:
    TN
    Amen to that brother !

13. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I guess what is all boils down too is, you get what you pay for. The most I ever payed for a reel is $175 and that was an Avet ML baitcaster. Sweet machine and made in the USA. I sold that reel and bought a Abu Chrome Rocket 6500 for $165, another kick butt reel. But for the most part, if a guy spends in the 50-$100 range for a reel, most likely it will be very dependable and last for years to come with the proper service. I can't really see spending more than a couple hundred bucks for a reel.

Anyhow my wife would shoot me!!:smile2::crazy: I spend enough money anyhow on other fishing gear too!:roll_eyes:

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The most I have EVER spent on a reel,Was a WALMART Abu 7000 98.00 plus tax,I'd love a 9000,or a 10,000,But I aint got that kind of money,So the walmart special suits me just fine.

15. coler0kw

coler0kw New Member

State:
    ky
    IN MOST CASES THEY'RE GOOD QUALITY, BUT USUALLY YOU CAN GET THE SAME QUALITY FOR LESS. IT'S WHATS INSIDE THAT COUNTS. I HAVE WORKED ON A LOT OF REELS AND I CAN TELL YOU SOME OF THESE HIGH DOLLAR REELS ARE ALL SHOW . AND SOME EXCEL IN SOME AREAS WHILE THEY FAIL IN OTHER AREAS. WHAT GETS ME IS MANY FORMER U.S. MANUFACTURED REELS ARE NOW MADE IN CHINA, KOREA, TIAWAN, ETC TO CUT COST AND HAVE SACRIFICED THE QUALITY THEY ONCE HAD TO SAVE A DOLLAR AND THAT'S A SHAME.

16. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Yes! What they said.:wink:

17. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    The word "worth" in the question "Are they worth it" is the key....

Worth means a lot of different things to different people. Just because a reel cost's $200 doesn't mean it's worth a darn. However, you are not going to get advanced options like solid machined cages/frames, all brass gearing, two speed retrieve, durable heavy drag washers and advanced drag design on a $50 reel either. Even the "high end" Abu's are well over $100.

I'll take my first Avet SX for an example. It's now about 6 years old, I payed about $180 if memory serves me right new and have fished it in salt and fresh water to great satisfaction. I have not upgraded a single componet on that reel, not changed modified or had to replace a single thing. That peticular reel is still 100% stock as I got it from Squid Co. in San Diego.
    All the maintenance I've put into that reel was to rinse out the bearings and change the oil and grease when I first bought the reel (I do this with ever reel I buy new)... after every fishing trip, the reel gets a washing down with the hose or from tap water in the sink and allowed to dry.

Six years of no maintenance, no replaced parts and no need to "upgrade" a single thing makes this reel VERY much worth every penny I paied for it. I put as much into some of my Abu's (after buying the reel that is) as I paied for my Avets... To me that makes them some of the best value reels on the market.

The same holds true for a lot of other reels I own. I buy them for longevity, lack of trouble and maintenance, durability and simplicity of use. I want to be able to just grab my gear and go, with out worrying if the drag will hold up this time out, or if the gears are going to slip again, or if the line guide will seize up if I get a little dirt in it with a big fish on.

It's not a matter if a reel is worth it's price... practically speaking, no reels on the market are worth the price. Why pay $50 for $15 worth of mass produced, stamped out pieces of sheet metal and plastic gear components? You think there is $200 worth of aluminum in my Avets? Nope not even close... You pay for comfort, reliability, design, and application... In short, Piece of mind!

18. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    For $200 it better have a built in bottle opener!!!:smile2:

19. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Well said brother,Well said!:wink:

20. Madtownangler

Madtownangler New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I have a Shimano Calcutta 400B that was given to me that costs over $200. It makes my Abu-Garcia 6501 c3 and and c4's look like cheap kmart reels. When I cast the Garcia's they are really loud. The Shimano is completely silent.

If the Shimano Calcutta 400B came in a left handed model I would buy one right away...they don't, so I stick with my Abu-Garcia reels that come left handed. They come in more than one color anyways. I just wish the green one had a bait clicker.