20 years in the future a fantasy or nightmare

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by loanwizard, Jul 27, 2009.

1. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    A lot of guys on this site are angry at commercial fishermen, the selling of illegal fish to Pay Pond operators, trotliners, juggers, even people that eat their catch. They are angry at their Game Wardens for not enforcing the laws of the state, of not caring about their particular species, etc...
    I thought a look into the future might give us all some food for thought.....

The year is 2029. I am now 63 years old and thinking about retiring to follow my passion of catfishing every day. I am hoping I can afford the licensing. A year round river license is $2500.00 and the corresponding lake license is $3000.00. It didn't used to cost nearly that much, but with the new initiatives on our waterways, with 2 enforcement officials 24/7 per square mile the taxpayer has to pay the bill. Last week I went fishing and got checked 4 times in 6 hours of fishing. 2 of those times I had bites but was made to bring in my bait so the warden could check it. It was a bad night all around. When I was getting bait, I got a ticket. I was castnetting for shad and caught 3 bluegill. I released 2 but one was in bad shape and I threw him in the bucket to use for cut. That was a $150.00 Bluegill after fine. Then I went to the river and set up. I got a ticket for throwing down a cigarette to fight a fish. The warden explained that he was sorry but the DNR was in such desparate shape to collect money that he had to fill his quota. As I left, I got another ticket (a double) for leaving footprints in the mud. Apparently there is a new law regarding erosion AND for debeautification of Government property. I did get a break though for using an undersized gill for bait. I didn't see any commercial fishermen out there, but there seem to be less big fish out there. Apparently, once they outlawed commercial catting, there was an explosion in the population and just like a pond with bluegill, they are mostly stunted. The biologists told us this a long time ago, but we didn't listen. Oh how I long for the good old days.

This is just fantasy, food for thought. A long time ago a fella gave me some advise. He said "Be careful what you wish for, cause you might just get it!"

Have a great day guys and gals.

2. wvcatfisherman

wvcatfisherman Active Member

State:
    West Virginia
    WOW! That is really thought out. It really makes you think about what could happen. Thanks for the interesting story.

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Well someone can write a decent fantasy but in real life an in that time frame you'll never see that happening. As far as with the game wardens, well they already give you a ticket for a blue gill caught by net even if like the fantasy says it was in bad shape(Would need Clarifications by marine biologist) Let the games begin I can handle the hard times I live them already, now all I want is for the state paid employee to go do their job.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Not gonna happen that way.

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Im with flathunter that story is totally bogus,you shouldnt eat right before you go to bed lol.Even if they did get rid of commercial fishing i guarantee theres plenty of catfisherman out there to keep things in check,especally since its gotten so popular.Heck we might even have better quality fish,bigger fish to catch.

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Guess it's gonna suck to be you Shawn:wink::wink: I'll be 65 in 2021 so it might not be that bad by then:roll_eyes:
    I agree you have to be careful what you wish for but I think I agree with Jack on this one that it won't go down like that. For one thing I don't believe the DNR will ever be called upon to do their job with such commitment...W

7. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    Guys, of COURSE it's not going to happen that way, that is why it is called fantasy! I am simply putting out a scenario with some exagerations for you to think about. Who ever thought back in 1989 that you would not be allowed to smoke in a public building or a private restaraunt? Who ever thought you could get a ticket for not wearing a safety belt? Wo ever thought that you would be limited to the amount of shampoo, not allowed a pocket knife or lighter on a passenger flight? Just because you disagree, doesn't mean that the entire thing is bogus. Who here as a crystal ball to tell the rest of us the future? Some have a nasty attitude toward commercial fishermen and those that jug, trotline, or don't cpr. None of us like illegal activity regarding the sale of fish to payponds. Have ANY of you done, researched, or investigated the REAL impact of the breaking of such laws? All of us here have a pet peeve law that we intensely dislike, mine being safety belts, an absurdity in Ohio as I am allowed to ride a motorcycle without a helmet, and school buses carrying our most precious resource, our children, don't even come equipped with them.... anyhow, I digress. Just what do you think you will get if you ask for more enforcement and regulation? You will get bigger government, more cost, and peripheral enforcement that you don't like. It is just a matter of degrees. Yes I cricatured it, but there will be ramifications getting more government and more laws.

8. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What we need is more ethics and less regulations.

9. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Took the words right from my mouth there.

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You guys are wasting your breath. Every one knows that the world is going to end in 2012....:roll_eyes:

11. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Doom an Gloom. Everything has always gone full circle an were in that cycle again.

12. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i think it would be more realistic if ya said " went to my fishin spot and there were 10 people lined up along the bank and i had to leave", i'm afraid thats what the future holds:confused2:

13. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    creative post there bud!

14. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    I don't have that problem. I go to the land of jets and airboats.

15. brandonbtbt

brandonbtbt New Member

State:
    Cambridge, OH
    god is great, beer is good, and people are crazy

16. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    heck that happens now thats the present not the future.

17. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I see where you are coming from, but that doesn't change the fact that they still aren't doing there jobs...Kind of makes me angry that I have to pay the govt. money every year to fish the public water ways, when they could care less about the species I am fishing for.

18. bassman98

bassman98 New Member

State:
    ohio
    only things that are for sure are death and taxes

19. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    You have that right for sure there! Welcome to the BOC Justin!

20. ronniethomas

ronniethomas New Member

State:
    iowa
    The way the economy is going now there wont be a DNR anymore because we wont be able to fund them; and the government will have fallen to rebelious citizens. We'll be back in the stone age before you know it. JMO:crazy: