20# Pull?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by south_va_fisherman, Jul 14, 2007.

1. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    My little cousin is finally old enough to go hunting and really wants, so he is going with me this coming season. He wants to use his Genesis compound with a 20# pull, will this kill a deer humanely? I offer to let him use my PSE nova hunter s8 set down from 60# to its lowest pull weight of 40#, but he couldnt keep it in full draw. then i offered a 20 guage and he firmly refused. So its the Genesis or no deer hunting. the bow can shoot a 100 grain broad head over the 125 yards required in VA. So do you guys think the little bow is up to the challenge? He is 10 by the way.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Virginia regs may prohibit it.
    I know NC has minimum draw weights and I think let off.

3. baitshop 2

baitshop 2 New Member

State:
    georgia
    most states have min. weight requirement set the bow at 40lbs let him practice daily it will only take a couple of weeks for him to get the poundage up also make sure the draw lenth is set for him if the draw length is set to long for him he wont be able to hold it back ,,,,,if all else fails take him to the woods and put a camra or camcorder and let him hunt that way he can vidio you hunt for you:smile2:

4. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    I will give him another try with it set at 40#, but he had a lot of trouble with it. I didnt know there was a minimum for draw weight, ill have to look into that, thanks guys

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sounds like he has a little work to do on the weight bench before bow hunting. A 20# bow is way too light for deer hunting. It may shoot an arrow 125 yards if held at a 45 degree angle but it still won't retain enough energy to effectively kill a deer. Most states require at least 45# pull. I think that is a good starting point. The whole point is to kill the deer quickly and cleanly, not just hit it and wound it. Personally, I don't think a 10 year old has good enough judgment to be making life and death decisions on game or anything else. There is a lot more to learn about hunting than just shooting.

6. JTR

JTR New Member

State:
    virginia
    I agree with Willie 100%!!!!!!!!!!!

7. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    very true. ive been thinking about it and 20#s seems way too light

8. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    40lb minimum in IL.

9. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I agree with most of what you have to say, but disagree that a 10 year old isn't old enough to hunt. I believe that most kids would do just fine at that age. some even younger.

Eric

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I think it is unethical to try to take a deer with a bow that has a 20# draw weight.

Some things in life you have to wait for, and the ability to draw a bow heavy enough to deliver and clean pass through is one of them.

11. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i agree with believer on the right to hunt. i started hunting way before 10 years old and in fact i killed my first deer setting in the woods all by myself at the age of 11 with a 30/30. my son has killed 2 bucks at the age of 9. i loved the thrill of hunting way more in those younger years. it kept me off the street if you will. now i could care less if i go or not. i think 45lbs is a good start but i remember folks telling me to get on the weight bench too. there should be a special permit for these kids to use cross bows. half the folks that shoot 300 mag. cannot shoot them properly without flinching. its just like opening day of deer season when i was a kid. i had to wait a week now they open it on a saturday of coarse i was a head of the game in my time. you ever heard of playing hookie? sorry its just not right to tell a kid he cannot hunt becuase he cannot pull a bow. plenty of grown ups in my state that can pull a bow back but still have a special cross bow permit. i say get them in the woods before the drug dealers get them on the streets myself. sorry for the vent but the kid wants to hunt! check on the cross bow permit in your state and good luck to both of you.

12. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Its a 40# minimum in Idaho. I think it is in most states. And should be.