20 pound blue catfish out of the meramec....thats right i said the meramec

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by TheMadCatter, Jun 1, 2009.

1. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    took my friend out for an evening of catfishing last night. we tried the mo river, but no luck. we decided to hit the meramec to try and get a flathead or some channels.
    he had never caught a catfish before, and look at what he brought in.....its a 20 lb blue. i was really surprised. i have heard from a few people that they ocasionally catch small blues in there, but this guy was not that small.
    boy did he slam that bait, we almost lost him twice. once when he first took the bait, because he almost took the pole too, and second when he got tangled up in some timber and almost broke the line from rolling so hard. i guess it wouldnt be fishing for me if i dont end up having to go in the water after a fish.
    anyway for his first time catching a catfish he sure nailed a dandy. he was very proud of himself, rightfully so. and now i believe he is hooked on catfishing.
    oh..... i managed to find the strength to catch a 3 pound channel also.
    so here are some pics, and the only thing im a little sad to say was that he did not want to release it, i cant force people to cpr. but i will say that that fish will be enjoyed by him and his family.

Attached Files:

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    OH, yeah! He'll be hooked for sure. You won't get him to stop buggin you to go catfishin from now on. Not that I can think of a single thing wrong with that.

Don't sweat the CPR thing, none of us started out that way and he is new to catfishing so naturally he is wanting to hang on to it. Lead by example and don't put him down for it and sooner or later, he'll understand on his own.

3. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    good lookin catch Brandon, glad somebody is catchin something

4. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ya buddy hooked for life. Now ya got to get him to go snaggen this spring lol. Congrats on the Nice blue. Now go get a bigger one.:big_smile:

5. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    :big_smile: congrats to you and your buddy !!!! nice fish for sure way to go :wink:

6. westman407

westman407 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    that is a good looking blue.

7. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    the bigger one will be for me this time, and he can go in after it.....lol

8. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Great job !:wink:

9. morivercatfisher

morivercatfisher New Member

State:
    missouri
    20 pound blue outta meremac river......DAMN DUDE! HEY SOME MY BUDDYS TRYED OUT THAT SPOT UNDER 270/44 BRIDGE NOTHING BUT LEAVES ON BOTTOM DIDNT CATCH SHIT DUDE. DO YOU'LL GO DOWN THERE AT NIGHT MAYBE THATS WHEN THEY BITE BEST? ANYBODY FISHED BY THE MEREMAC RIVERBRIDGE OFF OF HWY 21 BY THAT LAKE I KNOW THERES A ROAD DOWN THERE I THINK BUT THERE DOING BRIDGE WORK ??

10. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    yeah, i typically go down there just before nightfall and stay late into the night. you want to be fishing upstream from the bridge, at least that is where i have done best. but if you are fishing down stream of the bridge i have done pretty good by tossing the bait about 10 feet away from the very front of the pilings down stream side. there is an area of slackwater there, has produced really good sized channels 3-10 pound range, and some flats on live perch. skipjack is great cut bait in that area of the river, thats what got that blue.

11. topfuelkc

topfuelkc New Member

State:
    missouri
    Nice catch glad to here it.

12. topfuelkc

topfuelkc New Member

State:
    missouri
    Het thats a nice one Theres a guy who catches a lot of Blues on trout line in the lower Meramec. But thats a good one.

13. JC_MO

JC_MO New Member

State:
    St. Charles, Missouri
    This does not surprise me at all, Blue cats are caught way up the Meramec river as far as the HWY 19 bridge in Dent county. 20 lbs...might be hard to find but 3-5 lbs aren't that difficult if you get into current and wood with some shiners as the sun goes down.

JC..

14. Scaley Cat

Scaley Cat Member

State:
    Missouri
  15. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    very well said

later
    slider

16. minilmracer

minilmracer New Member

State:
    tennessee
    those are some relly big fish u guys got were did u catch them if u dont mind me asking:big_smile:

17. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    those fish came out of the meramec river, in the valley park area. around the 44 and 270 interchange.