20# or 25# line for 888?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by kyron4, Dec 19, 2006.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My new Zebco ProStaff 888 came with 25# line, I was planning on respooling to 20# Big Game just to aviod doing damage to the reel or rod (6'6" MH ugly stik rated for 15-25 lbs.) in a big fight. Is it nessary on a reel and rod made for 25# max. line to drop down 5# ? Is 5# a big deal in terms of landing a fish ? I'd rather break the line than burn up a drag or damage a reel getting spooled. Any opinions or advice ? -Thanks

2. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    I thought my 888 came with 20 on it, and thats what i respool with, 20 is plenty in my book, thats all i use on all my reels.
    I think 25 is too big of diameter for that kind of reel. it will hold more line and work much smoother with 20

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think it will work, better with 20 lb test line.

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Jay Gave you some good advice above, #20 pound test will do the job nicely. J.D.

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Mike that 888 will handle a lot more than you think I have had one for over 20 years just clean and oil it every now and then:big_smile:

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have been running 808 & 888's for 30+ years with 20 lb.mono.in fresh and saltwater with normaly 5 lbs,7 lbs.max.of measured drag by picking up this amount of weight with the rod,reel and line set up to fish.I always used a 300-500 lb."safty line" tied off as large Sharks would constantly steal your fish in saltwater before they were pretty well caught out as they are today.Being spooled over a dozen times a day was not unusal in the past.Some of these sharks looked to weigh 100's of lbs.It took a lot of x-tra line to fish.The reels still work well today.I started off with heaver lines and tighter drags which destroyed these reels when these huge fish hit.I learned the hard and expensive way to lighten up.I also adjusted the drag,put them on lighter pistol rip rods and casted plugs,spinners and spoons for freshwater and saltwater fish.You have the right idea.Luck.peewee

7. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Big Game is good line (love the 30# solor green myself), but another way you can go is 17# Stren (Original)... I used that for years and years on everything from 33's to 888's.. GREAT! line, will cast a country mile in that 888 and very strong .... I've caught carp over 20# on a Zebco 33 spooled with 17# stren and few flatheads in the upper teens and never had a problem...