20' john boat - whats the advantages and disadvantages for fishing?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Noodlejug, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Noodlejug

Noodlejug New Member

State:
    st. louis
    I have a line a twenty foot aluminum john with trailer and old evinrude. The boat is welded together out of two. It is not real wide maybe 42" in the bottom. The guy wants two hundred for it. Is this boat to long or what would be the advantages or disadvantages. What might I do with this long of a boat.? Lake or river, ruff water or slough? Any thought or exsperiences greatly appreciated. t- bones got me excited on his new rig!

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Should make a nice rig, the bigger the better as far as I'm concerned. Not real wide but should be able to handle some decent sized waves. With it being welded together I would make sure it dont leak or have a week place there from the weld. Good luck with it.

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    That skinny would scare me to death. I'd be afraid that I would overload it and flip it over. That said, for that price, I've fished from a lot worse.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The only place I can see where it would have a disadvantage would be on small or very obstructed waters where you would need to be able to make sharp turns. I had a 16' jonboat with a 36" bottom that I used for several years. The only problem was that two big guys hanging over the side together pretty well eliminated any freeboard. Now I've got a 16' jonboat with a 48" wide bottom, and the difference in stability is amazing.
    The fact that the boat wasn't designed, but rather cobbled together by welding parts of two boats together would concern me more. Looking at an outline of the floor of most boats, it seems like the narrowest part is at the front, width increases, then narrows a bit toward the stern. I'd want to carefully measure the width every few inches of its width to make sure that it didn't get wider, start to narrow, get wider again, then start to narrow again. I'm not sure just what effect that would have on performance, but it seems like there would be some kind of effect. Now, I'm not saying that less than perfect performance would keep me from buying such a boat; it would depend on what I intend using it for. I'd want to see how it performs with, say, three people on board as well as with only me on board.
    Here's a story to show that you should only judge a boat by its ability to do what you need it to do. When my father-in-law was a young man, he and his brother took two automobile hoods and welded them together to make a boat. Now, this was a heavy boat that didn't paddle well or handle rough water well, but they used it on a small creek which probably wasn't 40' across at its widest point. Since they weren't carrying it around, the weight didn't matter; small protected waters meant that they didn't have to worry about rough water; and short distances meant that it didn't matter that it didn't paddle very efficiently. It did the job.

5. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    its $200 with motor and trailer? I'd say buy it, then turn around and sell the actual body of the boat to a recycler(keep the motor and trailer) (with all the aluminum it should bring in a little $) then go buy a new john boat thats made better then 2 welded together. you'll already have the motor and trailer so your ahead :)

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Theres a bunch of fisherman out of Mo that come over to the Tn river every year and theres around 20 of those boats. About 20 ft long and they have at least 10 rod holders mounted down the side of the boat.
    They also anchor front and back in the current. AT an angle. They all look to enjoy there boat. So for that price I would go for it. and if you dont like it turn around in the spring and sell it for a profit.
    Pete

7. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

I've seen one before like that.Also seen one for duck hunting,where they flip one upside down on top of the other,that's makes a blind out of them.They cut a opening in the middle,looks like it would work great.
    Ernie

8. bigyella

bigyella New Member

State:
    Texas
    i would be more worried about spinning out. I had a long skinny boat and it would spin out if you were not careful. Mine was an outboard jet.

9. Noodlejug

Noodlejug New Member

State:
    st. louis
    Thanks for the input guys. Cheap enough for sure. I am going to take another look a see. I need a trailer and extra boat here or there makes for quick fishing. Maybe lend it out up at the river for running lines or what not.
    Not sure about that old evinrude but the boat and trailer. I even thought like a real comfortable canoe type situation. Lets see now february, fish of the month? hmmmm Where can I hide this one from the warden?