20 hp Merc......HELP please! !

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Quackshutr, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    Problem.......... engine won't keep a full fuel bowl. You can pump it up but it feels like the fuel isn't staying in the bowl, almost like it runs back into the tank. Will start and idle fine, runs mid throttle ok till it runs out of fuel. I have to continually squeeze the bulb to keep fuel in the carb. Very aggrevated at this time! !
    This problem started about a month or so back about the same time I did 3 things to the motor.
    (1)New (old but in good shape) tank, old tank connection was bad so I put this one I found at a garage sale in the boat.
    (2) to make the connection to the new tank I installed a new hose/bulb.
    (3) took carb apart and back together after cleaning due to not running much faster than a high idle.

Any suggestions????
    I'm about to just go to Bass Pro and buy a new tank and hose, or get a new hose for the old tank.
    Carb kit will be ordered this week also.

HELPPPPP!

Q

2. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Make Sure the arrow on bulb is pointing towards the outboard ?

3. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Get a new bulb. I had that happen to me before the bulb gets bad and starts to fall apart on the inside.Hope this helps you.

4. bowhunter6925

bowhunter6925 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    As stated before, check the bulb and hose assembly. If it pumps up and stays hard, then you have other problems. Check the hoses under the hood. You may have a pin-hole in the line going to the carb. I had this happen, and I could not find it for several days. Make sure you also look at the connections on the fuel pump. Another thing you can do is replace the diaphragm in the fuel pump. If it has a hole in it, the vacuum will not be able to keep the motor supplied with fuel. :angry: Hope this helps. Good luck.

5. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    Bulb is pointing right way.
    Fuel pump?? Don't believe it has one.
    Bought new hose/bulb,,,gonna try it this weekend i hope.

Thanks for the help guys.

Q

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It has a fuel pump. It's part of the carb.

7. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    Got out my manual. Now I see. Gonna see what carb kit will cost me, might as well tune it up best I can.

Q