20 hp - 35hp

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by dan 1989, Oct 17, 2005.

1. dan 1989

dan 1989 New Member

State:
    oquawka ILL
    i will probably be getting a new motor for 16 foot jon boat. what motor in the 20hp to 35 hp would be the most reliable for the money was thinking about yamaha but dont know any one with one so i figured to ask u guys. Probably a 2 stroke.

2. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    I have a friend with a 14 ft jon boat with a 25 Yamaha 4 stroke. It flies. I will definately go with a 4 next purchase. Fuel economy is second to none. It is soooo quiet. Spend the extra money, you won't be disappointed. Even if I had to choose between a 35 2 stroke and a 25 4 stroke, I think I'd go with the 4.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Yamaha's put out a very reliable engine. Although reliability is really your responsability.

If I could afford a new engine, it would be a Yamaha.

4. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would have to lean toward a Johnson for reliability. They do have a good reputation as well.

5. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    I bought a 25 Yama 4-stroke earlier this year, love the motor and would highly recommend one. Sip's fuel and is very quit, also like the flushing system.........feels good to be able to flush it on after hitting a sandbar!!

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Johnson for reliability? Is that why the OMC company no longer exists?

What used to be the #1 engine in sales and reliability is struggling to maintain a #3 position.

The E-Tech might put them in contention again for the #1 spot, but they've got alot of work ahead of them. Meanwhile, the other engine Mfgr's aren't sitting on their hands.

I know where there's a 150 hp Johnson Ficht engine for sale. Built in 99' never sold, still in the crate. Asking price is 6000.00. The dealer may never sell it.

Ramrod, I hope you've got better sense than to buy a Johnson built in 99' or 2000'.

7. dan 1989

dan 1989 New Member

State:
    oquawka ILL
    how much more would the 4 stroke cost in relation to how much i will save?

8. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    I think a 25 Yamaha 4 is about $2600, not sure about the 2 stroke

9. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Dont forget about mercury, they have yamaha powerheads on them. I have a 75hp 4 stroke merc and that will push my 17' triton duck boat full of gear and two people to 42mph, and thats only with a 20p prop. I chose this prop for all around good performance, it will get on plane in about 3 seconds or so. good luck with your engine choice, these days its hard to decide because all the motors are so competitive.

10. dan 1989

dan 1989 New Member

State:
    oquawka ILL
    got a 25 merc now but is inconsistent in performance but i will say it hasnt let me down yet. i am definatly considering them too there is alot of choices now but i will be looking for all the brands

11. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    hmm thats weird, mine hasnt missed a beat. But then again its only got about 25 hrs on it.

12. dan 1989

dan 1989 New Member

State:
    oquawka ILL
    this ones 89-90 was my granpas commercial fishin boat so it was ran pretty hard

13. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    well I guess if it still runs good thats all that matters. :)

14. dan 1989

dan 1989 New Member

State:
    oquawka ILL
    yea i would rather have it than my boat a 14 foot with oars always an adventure there lol

15. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i have ran evinrude merc johson i will only buy mercs anymore. my 60 i have on my bassboat is 10 years old now and still dont miss a beat and i use it for everything trolling for trout salmon etc to bass fishing to cat fishing love that merc. my next new boat maybe next year will be a tracker again but with the 4 stroke since you cant buy a new 2 stroke here anymore

16. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    The starter went out on my 1973 20hp merc and a starter new or rebuilt can't be had for that old a merc and I'm disabled and I can't get to the back of the boat to pullstart it every.I have always been a merc man but I changed the merc out with a 1993 Johnson and I have been running the Johnson for 3 years and I have been very happy with it.

17. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    you cant get a starter? i can get starters for as far back as 1955 with no problems thats strange. real strange no one in your area could rebuild it even. if anyone has a old merc and are looking for parts le me know ill give you a place to go to complete for restoring the older mercs.

18. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Mut I spent a lot of time and money looking for a starter heck I thought I found one in Ohio and I had to pay shiping to send it back cause it was the wrong one so I gave up.That old merc still runs great so I'm gona hang on to it heck I may run it on my other boat someday.

19. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    I recently bought a new 2003 25HP Yamaha 4 stroke for $2000. I replaced an old 20 hp Evenrude on my 16 ft flat bottom. The new motors are power rated at the prop. The new motor is so far ahead of the old one there is no comparison. Course I am not as strong as I used to be either. The new motor is very quite, very fuel efficent and a real joy to operate.