20 Hours, 1 New PB

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by mcwrestler, Jun 23, 2009.

1. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Since I graduated from college I have spent my free time (Time that I am not searching for employment) looking for new spots and revisiting old ones. During a recent trip I fished a pond that is tougher than I ever imagined. Clear water and smart, smart fish. Not to mention the added challenge of locals snagging in my baited area. As I approached the water for the first time I could tell the fish were many and amazing. I first tried on Friday, arrived at around 9 in the morning and fished until 7 without a fish landed and only one run. The snaggers were causing major hassles. Hard to catch fish that are running from a hook. Not to mention I did not know what to do. I tried all sorts of packs and flavors but nothing was to work. I went elsewhere on the next couple days but revisited on Monday for one last attempt before heading back home. I arrived early again. This time the weather was rainy and storms had been coming through, no kids will snag in that weather, however I was content with it. I spotted my quarry and decided I was going to freeline sweetcorn within 3 feet of the bank, settle down and play the waiting game. The group of orange and black Koi had found my offerings and I watched them begin to feed. Sizes ranged from what I would guess to be 7 all the way up to a brute that would near 20. I saw a hungry pair of lips hover over and take up my hook bait. I watched it move its mouth a few times then I set into him with my 10ft crappie rod and the battle ensued. As I fought the fish the onlookers gathered to see what it would be. Once netted a kind lady helped me out with some pictures and holding the net with the fish in the water while I got situated (I had only been out the 40 minutes). Her grandson was in awe of the fish, as was I. My scales read 11lbs after the sling had been taken off and the fish would become my new PB Koi, but even better than that, it was my victory over a tough water. Nothing else would be caught that day, but I left happy that night after 8 and made the long drive home, revisiting the days events as I went. I will return to the water one day and aim higher. Still it was amazing to watch the fish go about their business while shunning me. They were so content as was I. During the day I ran into a gentleman with a hook stuck in his finger but had no tools to remove it and I freed a 20ish Koi from a kids snag hook when he asked me to get it out of the water. He was going to take it by the gills and I insisted on helping and watched the poor fish swim away, maybe the wound will heal quick.

This turned into a battle of stubbornness. I would not quit not matter how many things failed to work. The first day I surveyed and made a plan in my head and tried it. The fish then taught me a lesson. I went on my way and had 2 days to make a new strategy and I went after it. That brought success. Proving that one way cannot fit all situations and to conquer a hard water you must always be ready to adapt. I should have had another fish but I did not pay close enough attention. Very few waters in America can be as pressured as this one, but the rewards to be had from here are outstanding.

Here is the picture of my new PB Koi. Beautiful colors and something I am proud of.

Attached Files:

2. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    congrats, nice one:wink:

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    You sir are a carp fishin fanatic. Way to go.

4. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    NICE KOI... Too bad you live in TN... I know where there is a back country unhassled 3 acre shallow pond FULL of KOI.... HUGE ass koi!!! lol ,all kinds of different color pattens. I can fish it when I want. problem was the first and only time I went, all I had was a cast net- which I quiclky found out they were way too smart for.

5. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Nice fish and caongats on ur new pb.

6. bluecatfish

bluecatfish New Member

State:
    SoCal

WOW GOOD JOB CATCH KOI CARP WINKA SMILE...U LOOK AT ME ON BIG BEAR RIGHT NOW

7. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Your the man brother:wink:

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Them koi are very smart and very hard to catch! Not as dumb as their golden cousins.

9. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Congrats, that's a beautifully colored fish.

10. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Congrats on a real nice koi

11. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Is that a Nash rodpod in your picture? I recently purchased a Nash rodpod and three carp rods with bait runners. I love em, the sound of an alarm screaming makes your heart beat.

12. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well, as a matter of fact it is. However I had not gotten around to it before I caught my fish. Nash has some quality products and I have few complaints. Mine has lasted me the last 3 years through rain and high winds to the freezing cold and boiling heat. May get a new one soon, but my old one will either be passed down or held onto as something guests who fish with me can use. What rods and reel set did you get?

13. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    MC, I have a three rod setup. I am using a Cabelas Predator 1 3/4 lb. that I have had for years. I recently put a Okuma Epixor 30 bait feeder on it. I had used this rod for walk trolling dams for walleye and I still will. My other two rods are Carp Rider 360 models from Royal Carp bait and tackle. I really like these rods. I believe they are 2 3/4 lb and they have decent reel seats. The Predator rods only drawback is the real seat (trash). I have these rods paired with Okuma Avenger ABF40 reels. You can really tell the difference between the Epixor and the Avenger, but I am happy with both styles. I know there are much better rods and reels on the market today, but I cant justify spending more money than I allready have. These combos work great. Oh and I have a bite alarm setup from bank fishing systems with a pager that also works great.

What are you fishin with?

14. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Fishing partner of mine uses a predator and one a Royal Carp one. I have used and still use an avenger reel on my 10ft crappie rod. I think I have the ABF20 or 30 on it. In fact, the koi came on it.

My method/pack/distance rods are 2 12ft Resistance Tackle Willow Rods in 3lb TC, paired up with SPRO Super Long Cast LCS 400 reels, with 2 big pit spools to upgrade it. The big pit spools have over 350 yards of 15lb mono, I also have 4 additional spools, 2 with 60lb PP, and 2 with 12lb Big Game.

My alarms are whatever has survived the years. I have went through any alarms, but when I find a job I will upgrade to some Delkims or the Resistance alarm and remote set.

Before getting my new reels I was using Diawa Regal 5000BR's. They were more than I ever expected in an entry level reel under $40. They handled many nice fish, but my new reels can cast a mile and handle like a dream.