20 Gallon Bait Tank for My Boat -REDESIGNED!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by SubnetZero, Jun 14, 2007.

1. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I did a bit of a redesign to my 20 Gallon Tank.

Having used my tank for little over a year, changed a couple things. After fishing for 4-5 hours, the water splashing from the Aerator head become annoying (and made me wanna pee all the time :embarassed:).. Also, Im not sure how much Air was actually making it into the water.

First I added A Venturi for Air infusion.

I took a threaded 1/2" plug and noticed it fit perfectly into a 3/4" pipe. I then drilled out the middle with a 3/8 spade bit..

Attached Files:

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I then took two 3/4" to 1/2" and a 1/2" sleeve. Cemented the adapters to each end.. I then drilled a hole, cut some threads and took a threaded 1/4" hose nipple and screwed it in.. Took some clear tubing and ran it up out of the top of the tank and down under the "lip"...

Attached Files:

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    The venturi infuses nice little bubbles. I took a 3/4" plug, drilled some holes in it, plugged it into an elbow on the bottom of the output.. Makes a nice current with tiny bubble getting shot into the tank.. Hard to get good pics of it..

4. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Doh, forgot the pics...

Attached Files:

5. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Here is a Filter idea I'm playing around with.. Think its a tad big for my tank.. Need to get some polyfill and try it out...

Attached Files:

6. mongesf

mongesf New Member

State:
    Beardstown, Illinois
    that looks pretty slick. nice job!!:cool2:

7. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Here some various other pics of the tank

Attached Files:

8. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I would suggest that you put some ammo carb in your filter along with the poly fill to cut down the ammonia level if using it for extended periods of time. You can find it anywhere that sells aquarium filters.

9. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Last Three.. Any Questions, let me know... Should have a live test this weekend :big_smile:

Attached Files:

10. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Looks good I would like to know how it works.

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Tim u is a very smart man!

12. cleon

cleon New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thanks for your help! that tank is awesome!

13. tikiman

tikiman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    that does look nice, nice handy work on it
    hope to see it work let us know

14. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Ran up and Got some PolyFill and Some Ammo-Carb (Charcoal)..
    I was thinking the pump may suck up the polyfill or charcoal, so I made an intake cage to help prevent that..

I started out with a Basket I picked up at the Dollar G a while back. Came in a bundle of 3 baskets for $1

I cut it down, Tried pvc cementing it together without much luck.. Finally just put some pan screws through it heh.. Cut a hole for the pump intake pipe

Attached Files:

15. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    This filter "tank" will use gravity feed. The water will feed in through the front, up the short pipe and flow out into the media..

I have a layer of Polyfill, then a "layer" of charcoal, and another layer of polyfill

Attached Files:

16. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    All set to go mount it back in the Tank..

I'm going Flatheading tomorrow, so Ill probably just have gills. Blue Gills are very easy to keep and really wont "test" this new system out, least not like Shad would... Should give me an idea on well the new venturi and filter work with bait in it though...

Attached Files:

17. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Looks good. Waiting to hear the report on how it works out for you.

18. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    You may also want a cage over the intake to the filter, so it doesn't suck a fish up on it.

19. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I see you have a switch... but what are you using for a power source? It may be a dumb question, but i've been thinking about making something similar for some time and have been debating what to use for power. Not really sure if the pumps use those D batteries or whatever, but I was also thinking about using a 12 v lawn mower battery or something. But I don't know much about electrical stuff and that might be too much voltage. Then again, a battery might be heavy and inconvenient to carry around with the tank. What have you been using, and are you happy with it?

20. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    Mine is for use in my truck, so I powered it of the trailer power plug.
    For boat use Personally I would wire it to a lighter adapter or something and power it off an existing battery, or if you don't have a battery, a lwnmower, motorcycle, or such would work. as long as it is 12v. Just will run for longer off bigger batteries.