20 Gallon Bait Tank for My Boat - Cheap

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by SubnetZero, May 21, 2006.

1. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    So I finally got around to making a Bait Tank for my Boat. My LiveWell just was cutting it. Not being round and kinda small, shad wouldnt last long in it.

20 Gallon Tub = $5 @dollar Store
    Small piece of plywood = $5 @ Lowes
    Piano Hinge = $5 @lowes
    Portable Airator = $10 *I think* @ Walmart (already had this, not sure what I paid)
    5 pan screws/nuts/washers = Had em laying around the Garage.
    -----------------------
    $25 or less :big_smile:

When getting the Tub (most Dollar Generals, Dollar Tree, etc have em), be sure to look for one where the lip is flat, not round.

Lay Tub upside-down on plywood, trace pattern.
    Cut out top with Jig saw.
    Cut in half, and then drill holes and mount 1st half with pan screws, nuts, washers. Line-up 2nd half and screw down piano hinge

I opened airator box and screwed two wood screws threw the plastic casing where batteries go, then just drill hole through lid and run air hose..

The sharp ends of the screws for the piano hinge stuck through the wood, so I took a cutoff wheel and cut off the ends and smoothed em out so my casting net wouldnt get caught on em when I was dumping my bait into it...

The only thing left to do is I plan on mounting a bilge pump to it to pump water in and out of it....

Any Questions, just ask.. The hardest part to it I guess is having the tools... heh...

Attached Files:

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    couple more pics...

Attached Files:

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Nice, looks like it should work real well!!

:big_smile:

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Nice job. Bet the top would be better made out of some kind of plastic. That way it would last.
    Let us know how well it holds bait when you have had time to use it.
    Pete

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Looks pretty sweet man, I like the idea of using one of those for a tub. But if you really want to keep your bait alive, get a Bilge Pump for the Airator part. The ones like on yours would be a little weak for keeping Shad alive and I've had bad expiernces with them breaking down on me very easily.

You've got an awesome design man!

6. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Ya, that batt airator is just a extra deal I put on there since I already had it...

Im still trying decide on my bilge setup..
    At first I was thinking of a closed system, where the pump circulates the water. I was then planning on mounting an old small cooler I have laying around on top with pvc pipe running through it. I could then fill the cooler, around the pipe with ice. This will help keep it at a nice temp during the dog days of summer. I had considered getting two tubs and staking em, with spray foam inbetween for an insulated tank...

If I make it an open system, where I have the pump bringing in fresh water via lake, filtering wouldnt be needed AND I have a backup for my boat bilge.. hrmm decisions decisions hehe......

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I hear you bro, you got some mighty fine ideas for them, might have to use them...lol:eek:oooh:

Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll get it just right!

Zakk

8. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I used a Y hose deverter for my boat that way i could pump out or in for circulating.

9. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Nice Tank Brother, i have to get me an areator, mine stopped working..I like that though...good job!!

10. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    You might have a market for those. A fine job in any case. A suggestion that I thought of when looking at your pictures, some type of fastener for the lid? If you do any bouncing, the water splashing..you know what I mean. You may want to put some type of sealer around the top of the whole thing too. Ok I'll shut up! You did fine, looks great. I'll take TWO.
    Don

11. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Attached is what I came up with for my pump design.
    With one pump, I can fill, empty, and recirculate the water. The two black tubes in the picture would be rubber hose, hung over the edge of the boat.
    This would also allow me to have a backup bilge for the boat in case my boat bilge fails.

If anyone has a better idea, please feel free to post...

Attached Files:

12. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Try having your bilge at the bottom of your livewell and running tubing to the top of your livewell to circulate your water. Then have the water dump onto a filter to pull out all the crap and scales that shad in particular will lose. Another problem is your tank is not insulated and the water will heat up too quick and kill your fish in hot weather. The cooler the water the happier and longer life they will lead. The hotter the water the faster their metobolism will get, the cooler water will slow them down and you'll be able to hold many more fish. Pumping water that at the surface is pretty warm and you need to cool it down and insulate it. Frozen two liter bottles dropped in will cool it down but for extended life of your fish insulated is the only way to go.

13. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    So I figured out what I wanted to do and actually got to try it out last Sat.
    WORKED GREAT!!! I was able to keep shad and googleeye alive and frisky for +7 hours during the day, even the hotest part of it :big_smile: Im very happy with it and I now have less than I'd say $50 in it....

I bought a $20 thru-hull pump, I then fab'd up two alum brackets, one to hold the pump to the tank, the other for a toggle switch for the pump.
    I then attached a two way valve system on each end.
    On the input end, one goes to hose (LAKE INPUT) and one goes to PVC (TANK INPUT). The output is the same, lake ouput and tank output. The tank output is a $3 adjustable a areator nozzle...
    The pics kind of explain it all...

Attached Files:

14. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    More pics of switch and layout

Attached Files:

15. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Pics of nozzle and spray....

The only bad part about this system is the pump is not a Self Priming pump. It basically works like a big siphon system. Soooo, you gotta throw the hose over board, shut off the tank in and out put, and suck the air out of the lines until the water starts to come down the output hose... No big deal really, you can see the water start to come out and remove your mouth before you get a mouthfull of lake water hehe....

I can fill, drain, recirculate and change water all on the fly with this system.
    I dont have a filter setup on this, as I can change out the water by opening all the valves at once, drawing in fresh lake water, old tank water at the same time. also helps with keeping the temps down on hot days....

I may had a light system to it for nite fishing. I left a spot open on my top bracket to mount another switch :smile2: ..

Like I say, I probably have $50 or less in this thing and have used it once with great success...

If anyone has any Questions, feel free to ask....

Attached Files:

16. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Nice,

I have been looking for a setup for here at the house to hold Baitfish.

Ideas, Ideas :confused2:

17. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Ya, you could easily modify this for a home bait tank. Would be real easy to incorp a filter system into it :) ... If you decide you want to build one, keep us posted! I'd be interested.. I have a couple of ideas that would work....

18. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Do you think you should protect the wood in any way?? Or just cheap enough to replace when the water gets to it over time??

By the way, nice set up. Great job and ideas for us.

19. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    The sheet of plywood I bought was less than $5, and is enough to do two lids.
    I guess you could rubber coat it, or, pick up a couple of those $1.30 rubber floor matts at wally world and cover it... I'm going to see how the lid holds up before I worry about that. Lid really doesnt get too much water on it. Most it gets wet is empting the castnet into it (got to love the wide mouth on the lid where you can empty the net directly into the tank :cool2: Just make sure you remove all the screw heads that poke through the wood so your net dont get snagged on them) ....

If you really want to get fancy, you could buy some insulation wrap and wrap the tank for an insulated unit... Think I'm going to use it a few more times before I do anything major to it other than adding a light for nite fishing...

I ment to add, on all the electrical connections (Switch, inline fuse, etc), I used shrink tubing and covered up the connections and electrical tape...

20. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Tim, get some good polyurethane and give the lid many coats. I did this with a homemade shooting bench we made 5 years ago and it's still in good shape. And it sits out there year 'round. I use brush on, but you could probably get it in spray. Bet this would add years to it.