20 December Fish Report

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by special liberty, Dec 20, 2006.

1. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Had our best day yet. 15 fish, 8 of them between 30 and 40 lbs with the biggest being 42 lbs. The smallest fish was still well over 10 lbs. 13 of them came within 90 minutes out of a spot we have now classified DOUBLE DOG SECRET. If we get on that spot in a tournament - we've got a chance!!

Of note, 90% of the fish came betwen 1130 AM and 1 PM. We haven't started keeping notes yet but that seems to be the case since we started fishing the Potomac in October. Anybody else seen the same thing - I can't help but think they are moving somewhere we ain't after about 1 PM. Are they deeper or shallower? The tide was pretty slack during that period but I've heard most guys say they do better when the tide is ripping, our experience seems to be the opposite. Any advice would be apperciated - and NO, I'm not giving up our new spot -LOL!!

Nice day out - wasn't all that cold - had the river almost to ourselves. Talked to a Bass guy who had caught a 35" blue on a crank bait!!

Nathan should have the pictures up soon.

On an unrelated topic - how many of you who fish the Upper Potomac flush your outboard after you get off the water?? Due to neighborhood rules I have to keep my boat in a storage lot and rarely get a chance to flush it with tap water when I get home.

2. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Here are some of the Double Dog Secret pictures as promised.

Attached Files:

3. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    Nice job cutting out the backgrounds Nathan - Navy knows how to keep a secret!!! LOL

4. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    And here is the big one for the day. I was in the process of moving rods around in the rod holders. Had just switched two rods and was in the process of switching two more when the fish hit. Almost yanked the pole out of my hand. We had to hurry and clear lines and also had to maneuver around the aft anchor. Overall nice good fight right next to the boat. He just didn't want to come in and kept diving for the bottom.

Attached Files:

5. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I was in the small boat that anchored just up from you on the point. I missed several good bites in the three spots I did anchor in. Managed to get one about 3-4 lbs for the first one, second was 16lbs, and the third one hit it at 38lbs. While I was fighting the big one, 2 more hit but neither seemed to get the hook as happened about 5-6 other times. I think these fish are moving in groups because nothing for 20 minutes and then 3 on at once. Y'all must have got on them after heading on up river from Ft Wash. I figured out the bait thing for now while I was out today so that is another positive. Maybe we get a chance to meet each other next time we're both out there.

6. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Tawn & Nathan I like the way you cut the back gound out of them pictures.:big_smile:

But I can stay just about where you was and i wasn't out there today. But that ok .

As for the tide I aways to better on low current waters in the cold waters. and looks like you guys are having the same luck as well.

Great fish I hope to hit the water this weekend and see what I can do.

Did any of you guys try for bait?

7. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Tawn,

I am now jealous. Nice day of fishing. I can't wait to hit the water in the spring.

8. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    As for bait we used croaker from Annapolis Seafood - I can tell ya this: It may have come from a Fish Market but it was a long way from being fresh (it was marked down 50%!!), there is no way I would have eaten it!!! We didn't look for bait - like little kids once the boat is in the water - the rods can't be out soon enough. I know we need to get out of our lazy habit of store bought bait and learn to catch our own fresh bait but it's gonna be a hard habit to break!!

I figured you would know right where we were Tim but we ain't admitting anything!! :smile2:

Anybody catch my question about flushing the outboard?? Kind bugging me.

9. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    ME too I would love to hang some like that

10. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    To me it ruins the whole pic. If they are doctored to that extent, then maybe the fish was caught by someone else too. LOL Not likely for me to come steal your fishing spot. Come on down to TN and I'll happily show you all of my favorite spots. Kind of makes you feel like you're really amongst friends don't it?

11. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Ya Bryan but new guy just catching on to some of our tricks and that great to see them hook up with the big fish. But come tournament time we will see who has the best LUCK as that is 75% of winning.

Tawn its a good thing to flush your motor out after each use but you can always do that. If your using fort washington ramp they have water right there you hust need to have a hoe with you. You may also check with a car wash maybe or a marina need you they may have something that you can use as well. I no the car wash i use here has a hook up out side but not always on in the winter months.

12. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    Thanks for the heads up - we use the carwash right at the intersection of 228 & Marshall Hall - I've never checked to see if they have a spigot.

All - Didn't mean to offend anyone by editing the pictures - to be honest, I kinda thought it was funny. For those of ya who don't frequent the Maryland Rivers Section, look back and see how many other of our pictures are modified. If I really wanted to be unfriendly, we wouldn't post any pictures at all that way we could say whatever we want and no one could question it. Thanks Tim for sticking up for us rookies!

13. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for sharing the pics.

14. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    My wife gave me a cheap digital camera a couple years ago but I used it only a couple of times. It didn't have a flash and most of my fishing is alone anyway so I have never worried too much about it. I wouldn't know how to get the pictures on the computer anyway. I do however, take a disposable camera with me most of the time. If it's not 20lbs or more; 2 or more fish at once; or something really different about the appearance of the fish, I won't take a picture anyway. Through the years we've taken plenty pictures but I am still looking for the big one so till then I guess I stick to my ways. No offense to anyone who doctors pictures to hide the background, but we all know that time on the water teaches us what we need to learn more than any other process. I should have been out there again today but I have to do a bit of Christmas shopping. Tomorrow or Sat looks good for a trip if the rain holds off. My boy and me are fishing Tuesday Dec 26 on the James with my buddy from down home in Central Virginia. We gonna hit the James from Deep Bottom or somewhere down that way. I guess this is enough of my BS for today. Later for now---jonnycat

15. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    Good Luck down on the James, we've had decent luck off the wing dams and at the mouth of feeder creeks between the Osbourne Ramp and the city. I wanted to go out again Sunday but my wife informed me that if I wish to continue to be married; I should stay home on Christmas Eve!

As for the doctored pictures - we didn't intend to pi$$ anyone off - it was kind of a joke, our way of talking smack. All of our fish, since we started in October, have came out of the same two or three holes as we have descibed to the best of our ability in our past posts. As for the taking so many pictures - we do that to take them to work and torment our offshore/rockfish fisherman friends who come up empty handed more often than not. We've learned alot, especially from this and Tim Hagan's website and we've offended someone .......

16. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Tawn the picture thing is ok it was a joke here as well. As for the fishing holes where as I told you at Bass Pro Shop that day. That river is there for everybody to use I myself have lots of holes that on any day can put fish over 30 lbs in your boat you still have to catch them. Thats why I told you some spots I can just set up 200 yards away and catch big fish as well. Tournament fishing is the same for me its not so much where but how you fish. its all about where, what and how to fish at that time of the day.
    Us you are catch onto the fish here now you see sometimes they just stop hitting, There are somethings that at times we still put fish in the boat little tricks that will make a differents at times. But just like in any sport on any given day someone can find the lucky fishing hole and kick even the best anglers butt. So take all the pictures you can show off your catch edit them if you like because come tournament day you still have to catch the biggest fish to win.

People who will talk about your pictures are just pi$$ off its not them holding that fish

17. rit.05

rit.05 New Member

State:
    VA
    Spec Liberty, I think I saw you out there the other day. I wasn't fishing though, I was heading up the river in a blackhawk. I wish I could grab my boat and head out for some of those blues. My wife even bought me a new Penn rod/reel that hasn't gotten wet yet.

The worst part is flying up and down the river almost every day and seeing you guys out there. Maybe after Xmas if the weather is right....

Beautiful fish though!!!:big_smile:

18. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Guys, I'm sorry for the comments. Most know how I feel about doctoring pics for the wrong reasons. Doing it for fun is another thing altogether. Keep em coming and please accept my apologies for the non-thinking post I made above. You ever get around the Nashville area or Fort Campbell in particular, look me up and we'll spend a day chasing big blues. Won't promise any fish, but we'll have fun trying. Again, sorry for the post above.

19. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    This turned out being an interesting topic. I totally agree with you Tim about the whole tournament fish catching. We definitely didn't mean to offend anyone with the cut backgrounds. It did generate some good conversation though. Makes the drizzly, rainy days go by a little bit quicker.

Dan were you in a black and yellow Blackhawk? One of that color flew almost right over us while we were out there.

Again sorry for any misconceptions anyone had. We were just having fun :big_smile: . I've got to get on the road so I can get to work.