20# braided line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by iluvcatfishin, Jun 18, 2008.

1. iluvcatfishin

iluvcatfishin New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well, after doing alot of reading I see most peeps are using 50 to 80 LB braided. I am using 20 lb power pro and spider wire on my baitcasters. Looking for opinions here. Have I gone too small for braided?

I mean, I would think if your drag is set right you should be able to pull in a hawg with 20 lb line. Was just wondering why I might need to go to a higher test braided line.

Thanks

2. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    it all depends on what size fish you're fishing for and the cover you're fishing in. a lot of guys, including myself, use the heavier line because we are fishing in or near snags or around rocks etc. if we get a big fish, we want to be able to turn that fish around and away from any thick cover it might want to get into. if you're fishing a pretty clear area and the fish you're going after don't get big enough to eat your dog.....20# should be fine.

heck....i'm thinking about putting power pros downrigger replacement braid on one of my rods.....200# test.....mostly for the increased abrasion resistance....those zebra muscles do a number on fishing line. don't ask me how i'm going to get a snag out....i haven't figured that out yet :confused2::smile2:

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I liked .008" 30 lb.braid for cutting water lillys,but it cut my hands without control of and feeling in them.

I saw the post on Zebra mussels.I have wondered about them and line.The hard mono's were a saltwater favorite for shell.The drawbacks were they were stiff and large diameter for their breaking strength.The Yo-Zuri seemed to be a happy medium.

Their ain't no perfect line that does everything!

In my young,dumb and stronger days,I often used 360 lb.test nylon for trot lines as I had several cases bought cheap at a wreck salvage store.I will never forget the times I had when it hung up.Wow!!!

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

4. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I really think people use the thicker line for snags and rocks etc. You are correct, if you have a good reel with a good drag and a good rod you could land a big fish on smaller pound test line.

They've caught 500 pound marlins on 4 pound test - now they have a good reel that holds a few thousand feet of the line, they are out in the deep wide open ocean, and use the boat to help land it, so I think you could definitely land a big cat if there ain't much cover/structure/snags around.

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Because your 20 pound line is the same thickness as 6 pound mono. Thats pretty thin.

6. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

that must of been fun !!!!!!!!!!

how long was the fight????

7. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    MSgtCatfish are you talking about the stren ad a few years ago where they said they landed a 500lb marlin on 2lb test line? if so do you know the true story? if anybody wants to know i'll be happy to tell it.