20# 0r 25# on my Abu 6000

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by flathead_ky, Apr 20, 2007.

1. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Im getting ready to put some line on my new Abu 6000. I have 20# and 25# Berkley Big Game Mono. Which would you guys put on your reel for castability? I have always used spinning rigs for cats in the past,and I recently bought the Abu and matched it up with a 7' Ugly Stick Catfish Rod.

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've used 20 & 30lb on mine with no problems. It just depends if you need the heavier line or extra yardage in the areas you fish. Thats how I based it on mine. Either will work fine.

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I would agree with John, I put 20# on mine and have no issues.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i run 30lb. big game on both of mine. castiblity is still great. i would stay away from the smaller line, esp. if your not real good casting it. smaller diameter tends to bird nest worse if you let it get away fom you.:lol:

5. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Smaller line is going to go further, but if you use heavier sinkers it won't really matter. You should also think about the fact that you can hold more line if you use the 20# test. Birds nesting, or backlash as some call it, shouldn't be a problem if you're well practiced at casting and you can always tighten the knob under your reel handles to make the chance of that less likely. Other than that there are probably equal pro's and con's for both. Give them both a try with time...

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use 20lb test line on my Abu 6000.

7. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    If you already have both go with the 25#. I like 30# mono myself.

8. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Trent
    Distance the most important factor go with the 20# luck

9. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    I use 20# big game on all my reels, works good for me.

10. bigbigjoe76

bigbigjoe76 New Member

State:
    Gilbert, South Carolina
    I have the exact rod and reel setup. I use 25# Ande mono and it works great. It will hold about 205 yds and casts like a champ.

Joe

11. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Use the 25# to fill it and the 20# for leader....Helps if you have to "break" the line on hangups....DemoMan

12. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I always use 25# Berkley Big Game on my 6000 without any problems.

13. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    We all have our own opinions on this topic... I'd personally go w/ the lighter that you have... the 20#... the difference in strength isn't much and you can put a little bit more on to the reel so incase you have a fish that wants to run all the way across the river, you'll have a little more time to figure out how to get that bad boy back in or get the anchor loose to go chase his *ss...

On my 6000/6500's i use 15 lb BBG and i've never had problems w/ it... heck brought in a 16.5 on 15 the other day in rough water w/ out an issues AT ALL...

14. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Go Big,Catch Big........25lb:big_smile:

15. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I use 30# hybrid on mine.

16. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    when you say casting, im guess distance? if so i would use the #20 with a #30-40 pound shock leader. the shock leader will absorb the whip of a heavy weight while preserving your main line.

17. P.Bean

P.Bean New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    casting go for 20 but if you need the castablility and something that can haul in more weight u might want to look into a braided type of line for ex. power pro, stren braid, spiderwire stealth...personally i like 30# trilene big game in solar...just my 2 cents