2 weeks at the river

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by riverbud55, Sep 17, 2008.

1. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Well got back last Wed. night after 2 weeks On the river, went out for 4 all niter's and another 4 or 5 times out sun down to 11pm or so, for myself I ended up boating 4 fish:angry::confused2: and all way under 2lbs :embarassed: , had BillyJo down for 4 or 5 days and he ended up getting 2 flats around 3 1/2 lbs at the same spot that I got 2 of the little guys after he had gone home, that nite was a little harry, fell a sleep in the boat as soon as the Angel's (Angel's all the way:eek:oooh::big_smile:) game was done on my X-M and then woke up and hour later to a huge storm that came on in an instant, frig'n thing was next to being a tornado, took my boat in the weeds and nearly into the rocks (within a foot) on the shore line with 3 anchors out, with 3 anchors out and holding and the wind blowing like the devil there was no way to move so just sat there till it blew threw, got a little scary cuz the lighting was every were and the wind blew so hard thought it was going to take the top off of the boat I ended up with a empty 5 gal. bucket lost to the wind out of the bottom of the boat:crazy:, went out there to do some dove hunting and ended up cooling off to much for the so they all took off for the most part so 0 dove to add to my good look:roll_eyes:

Well Maybe things will be better when billyjo, martinman and myself hit up the Picacho area for a little boat-in camp and fishing trip the 1st part of Oct. should be some real fun :wink:, thinking were going to put in at martinaz and come up river and set up camp at one of the camping spots along the river going to head out of lake martinaz early the morning of the 9TH if any one wishes to join us that has a boat we would welcome the company:wink:, not sure yet we will be headed home sat. or sun. :confused2:

C-ya and good fishing to all:big_smile:

2. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    Dale,
    That sounds like a wild storm you got stuck in.Good thing your anchores held.I hope I never get caught up in a storm like that.Sucks you guys dident get on the fish.I guess you never know when its going to be hot,or not.That trip down south to martinez sounds fun,getting on new water is always good times.

3. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    Dale, Ryan gave me a call the other night but I wasn't home,he left massage saying something about go on the 8th of october. So I guess this is when we are going down south. Are you talking about CAMPING OUT, sleeping in a tent and no A/C. :confused2: Man I will have to thank about that, could be hard on a old man.Do thank you will be able to handel that? As for Ryan being the kid that he is, are we going to have to hold his hand all the time like we do when he comes to Blythe to fish with us:smile2: Are we going to meet at you place? Maybe Ryan could come to my houes and we could ride down together, I well have to give him a call. Looking foward to making this trip.
    Will give you a call after i talk to the kid (Ryan):roll_eyes:.
    later Bill

4. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Ya Bill my place sometime on Wed. the 8th, not sure when Ryan will be there but I think it won't be until late afternoon, will pack the boat that night and take off early the next morn so as to be on the water by mid morn:roll_eyes:

Yep tent and the cold hard ground for sleeping lol, Ill bring that instant tent I had at the 1st gathering:smile2: and the Ez-up that's at the trailer, got 2 cots and should have the sleeper cushions for the boat by then, got a big white igloo cooler that we can put all the food, drinks and extra ice in that we can leave at camp

Will be getting 2-12gal portable fuel tanks and going to plum them in and will take the 3-5gal fuel jugs that will give us an extra 39gals of gas or a total of 81 gals

Hey Bill they got fresh water at them camps? If not I'll need to bring a water jug

think i should bring some pole holders to fish with from shore? there here at the house

wounder what kind of bait can be bought around the lake:confused2: or should we think about getting goldfish from b and b, hey bill speaking of bait look at my new pets :smile2:lol look familiar:crazy:

Attached Files:

5. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    You guys tell a great story, it's like being there. And by the way glad to see you made through the storm ok. ''Been there done that''.

6. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    Dale, go to Parks.ca.gov and find Picacho then park Brochure,it will tell about the park and what is available at the park, Looks like they have drinking water, showers and crapers. there is a daily camping fee and boat in camp sites. How long are we planning to stay? As for food and water we will need to give this a lot of though, need to keep as compack as we can. We can eat a lot of fish, If we can catch them. May think about dry food packs like the backpackers use, would save on a lot of space and would leave more room in the cool for drinks and ice. For a trip like this you need to thank as compack as you can get on everything. I think we can get all the bluegill we will need in the backwaters in that area. I will get soom more powerbait for bluegill just in case we need them. I still need to call Ryan,will do tonight for sure.
    Later Bill

7. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Ya bill compact and lite , but with a shore camp we will be able to dump all the extra stuff off at a camp site, dude this ice box i have is huge, spent 10 days at lake Sabrina by myself and had all the room i needed and i tellya i sure didn't eat something I could sweep up with a broom:smile2:,, Ill get some dry-ice in town here before i leave but it in the bottom of the cool and pack chipped ice over it and the ice will last 4 or five days,the main thing is we put it all in cold or frozen, can pack-up some stuff with the foodsaver to keep it all good, ya know i got to have my chicken fried steak and eggs in the morning and a burger for lunch:roll_eyes:, well bring the bbq and the smaller bottle of propane. I think Ryan is going to bring his boat but not sure mite be nice for back up

Not taking bait would be good, a lot of weight for the bait tank when its full and not taking water will also be nice

dude don't think we will have a problem getting a camp site going Thur. am do ya?

8. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    dang it. i won't be there to make this trip! i'm still in idaho, and not leaving here until the 2nd. have to go through san diego and drop off a ride along mower with son, and get a grandkids fix. sure would be nice as that is a pretty run up the river.
    little knowledge for you. the boat in camps don't have water. bring your own, but you can stop at the ramp at pichacho and fill up there. then only a few miles upriver to different camps, but watch the sand bars. your gonna be making several trips back and forth across the river.
    at martinez lake, you can get goldfish there if want them. only place on river down there.
    when leaving martinez, after you make the sharp right in river (about a mile or so up, stay on az side until you pass island about 8 miles up and river starts making left turn. then start watching for the large bar your gonna find. you'll see it. you'll also find several small lakes on right to pull in to catch gills. suggest getting some before going all the way up. (i had hard time finding bait about pichacho last time)
    wish i could remember more. good luck and have fun.
    gary

9. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Got off the phone with Dale and Bill...I am planning on leaving Wednesday around noon from Flagstaff.

I am still not decided on whether to take the boat or not. I am leaning a little more to actually taking it...I have always been a little different on that. Bill, if I do take the boat, are you game for riding in my truck to the river?

By the way, what is this stuff about having to hold my hand down at the river. Remember I am the one who seems to be able to handle the cooler weather...since you old farts can't seem to hack it!!! :roll_eyes:

Anyway, I am looking forward to hitting the river whether I catch anything or not.

Ryan

10. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    Dale, I called Ryan last night about the river trip and I thank I upset him when I said that he wouldn't be able to fish with 6 pole out of your boat . I said he could only bring 3 poles. 1 flathead pole, 1 channel cat pole, 1 bluegill pole, so now he is thanking of taking his boat. Ryan I am sorry, you can bring all the poles you thank you will need ( Dale and I will just set in the boat and watch you fish:smile2:) And yes you are a little DIFFERENT :roll_eyes:.
    About us being old farts, just remember you will be there someday. I forgot you live at 8000 foot and have blood as thick as gear oil that keeps you from getting cold. My old bones like the heat, keeps them from squaking when I move. Oh ya have to find my gloves and electric socks, also need to go over to Cabela's and get hand warmers packs to keep stink bait warm, may look at Gore-tex suit as long as I'am there.
    Ryan if you take your boat I thank I will drive my truck. You know me, never know what I am going to do:confused2:.
    Looking foward to this trip I know we are going to have a good time.
    Later Old Bill.

11. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Hey thanks for the info, going to need and take the water jug with us and get h2o at the main camp ground, don't think we'll be staying at the fancy camp ground, bills just going to have to be getting in the ol river fer a shower and to find a tall bush to take a crap (o ya got to take TP:big_smile:), at the main camp it looks like it be a long haul for the gear from the boat to the camp sites, the Taylor lake boat in camp looks cool if the sketers don't to get bad,Gary thanks on the route and the info fer the bait, know the gills were hard to come by the last time were out there, got a trap we built, try trap em so as we can have time to eat an sleep:big_smile:, sure hope the water will be clear enough or not overly blown over to see the sand bars, most of the time can tell by what the surface of the water looks like but not always:confused2:

Hey Gary how many people can we expect up their over the weekend? and ya think our stuff will be safe at them camps when were not there

Bill don't know about you but Ill be nice in warm with the windows up err is that down and the door closed and the heater on:crazy:

Attached Files:

12. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Bill,

You didn't upset me when you called. Ultimately, I think the two of you should say whether I should take the boat or not. I am fine with leaving it at home or taking it with me. If I take it, it will give you guys more room to move around in / or sleep while I am catching all the fish.

Just to check in on things though...are we meeting in Blythe or at Martinez...where would you guys like me to meet up if I take the boat?

Ryan

13. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Glad to hear that you were able to stay safe out there Dale! I hope your next trip out is better for you. Truth be told, Im glad to see that got at least a few little ones. Better than nothing!

14. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    boat in camps shouldn't be any problem with crowds.
    taylor lake is usually pretty shallow. i've only made it all the way to back of lake and camps once. going into lake from river, i'd suggest staying to left side of channel going into lake from river. little deeper that side. 4-H campsite is nice one if no one in it. wagon wheel is another one.
    gary

15. Vulture

Vulture New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Sorry about your dove hunt Dale. I had a good time in New Mexico, saw some elk and had a shot at few smaller ones. I passed on those because I was waiting for the big grande to come by. He came close but not close enough to take a shot.
    I did hit Cibola before I left to New Mexico, did managed to get 12 lb. flattie on my last night there. Broke my "King Kat" rod during the hook set. Now to fish the old river before duck season. You guys have a safe trip and keep us posted of your adventure. Don't know when I'll be heading back to Az.

16. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Hey Greg, man I was hoping for some BBQ'd elk:eek:oooh: sound's like good time though. Guessn I'll have to take a king-kat off my "got to have" poles list:smile2: but sounds like it was worth it:wink: Greg wished you could join us think ya mite like it, looks like a good spot to scout out some waterfowl

hey Gary thinks, not to worried about shallow water as long as it got 10'' of water should be able to make it but just don't want the water to drop after we get set up and not be able to get out or back into camp after fishing all night so it mite be better to stay on the river was just thinking about it being easier to anchor out the boat/'s. Gary ya got a guess about what time is high water and low water down there and how much will it drop from high water to low

Ryan be plenty of room in the boat just thinking safety in numbers and would also help lighten up the boat a little , think we will meet up at the trailer to load and organize the boat/'s.

here's a handy link for the river http://www.dbw.ca.gov/Pubs/BlythetoImperial/BlythetoImperial.pdf been in my favorites and had forgot about it but just got reminded of it

Looking at that map not much difference of distance to the camp/ fishing areas leaving out Walters Camp(44mi) or Martinez(94mi) but about 50 miles driving . The only thing is how much bait we will be able to get along the way:confused2:

17. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    Dale, I feel leavin from Martinez is better than walters camp. Boat ride leaving from walters is 25 miles and from Martinez is 12 miles. I think it would take less fuel in truck than in the boat, Also you may want to thank about if we have any boat problems we can always go down river with trolling motor easier than up river. But you make the call, I'am just along for the ride and don't have to be anywere or anyplace at anytime:smile2::smile2:. As far as bait I feel we can get as much as we need at Martinez or other areas along the way. I thank Ryan should go with us in your boat, I would feel better, than him in his boat by himself. I thank being together would be a lot safer seeings we have not been on this part of the river before. Won't hurt the fishing one way or the other. If the fish are there we will get them :roll_eyes:.
    Later Old Billy Jo

18. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Dale, i'm not on my own computer, so don't have my bookmarks. if you have to flows out of blyth or palo verde, (when they open the dam up.) figure it will take about 4 -5 hrs to reach picacho. i figure 6 to imperial. anything over 8,000 cu ft but 11 - 12 is best will give you highest. i can get to picacho with no problems with a 8,000 flow.down to 4 if i'm really careful.
    since i've been spending so much time up in idaho this yr, really wouldn't want to guess when the high times are. i do know it doesn't rise and fall anything like it does up at blythe.
    gary

19. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    You boys might be better to stay on the river to camp rather than be off it in Taylor Lake.... I have not found the opening to it, as I stayed at Carrizo campground and Paddle wheeler campgrounds before..... More shade at Carrizo with the bank of the river, but there is a"shader" and table there... Picacho (upper Park/ranp) has great shade and tables on the river, but might be taken up by hunters....

Here are some pic from my July trip this year... Picacho...

Bayrunner Ray

20. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    hey Gary thanks fer the info , I'll b ck'n the flow chart b 4 we leave, hey ray that sure looks nice around there thanks 4 the pic's, well b lookn 4 the shadiest spot we can find 4 sure,

Martinez to the park should make 4 a nice boat ride:wink:

Bill think we should get at lest a doz+ goldfish just in case we don't make bait 4 the 1st nite:confused2: , ya bill shouldn't b a problem having enough room 4 Ryan just not sure about room 4 all 20 of his poles lol (not rely:smile2:) think we'll take the gill trap we made and maybe finish the other 1 set them up around camp and leave them there when not in use,will take a lot of room up but lite and we can stack um on top of the stuff , this time going to bring some cat food more sent i think:wink: