2 stroke vs. 4 stroke

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Catfish_Calvin, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Im in the market for a new boat. Sold mine a few weeks ago. Im looking at some Yamaha motors between 60-90 horse. What do you guys think are better the 2 stroke or 4 stroke?What are some pro's and con's? Ill take all the opinions I can get. Just weighing my options.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I don't know about Yamaha's but I have a Merc. Bigfoot 4-stroke on my pontoon and I like it a lot better than the Merc. 2-stroke I had in my Bass Tracker. It's a lot quieter and uses less gas.

3. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi Calvin, I put a merc 115 2 cycle on my Oquawka last year, and have been happy with it so far. I wanted a 4 cycle, but just couldn't justify that much money. I think the 2 cycle is noisier to a small degree, but it's apples and oranges as far as I am concerned. anyway if you want to look at my setup, come on down to Keokuk, and have a look. Later Andy

4. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    something to think about also. here on west coast many of the lakes have outlawed 2 strokes, and it's getting worse. in time, may get changed all over. i'd either get a 4 stroke or one of them effeciency motors that equal 4 strokes just to be safe in future.
    gary

5. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    The Evinrude E-tech, which is a 2 stroke, is an industry leader in emmisions, gas mileage, and performance. I am pretty sure that law is for older 2 strokes. The new ones have a sealed crankcase and no longer pump unused gas and oil into the water. I would check out Evinrudes website because as I read it they are legal in western states including california. 2-strokes will outperform 4-strokes period.

6. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    E-tech is what referring to. just couldn't think of it when i posted.
    gary

7. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I prefer a 2 stroke for smaller boats/motors. My 14' jon boat has a 25hp 2 stroke yamaha. The lightest 25hp 4 stroke i found was over 50pounds heavier than the 2 stroke, which is a lot of weight on a small boat. The 4 stroke was also a lot more expensive. My yamaha isn't all that loud if you ask me, its a lot quieter than the old 1960-70 evinrudes i grew up around. I also have no complains about the fuel economy, i feel that its excellent. I also like that there are fewer moving parts in a 2 stroke, meaning less to go wrong.

Its really all about personal preference. You can pay more for the motor and get better fuel economy, or you can buy the cheaper 2 stroke and use the money saved for gas. They both use oil, one you have to add oil to, the other you have to change it and buy filters. The extra weight of a 4 stroke can make a smaller boat handle different, or draft more water. Buy what you like.

8. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    thanks guys. I went with a 2009 yamaha 90 horse 4 stroke.