2 stroke vs 4 stroke outboards

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by dlsloan, Nov 3, 2008.

1. dlsloan

dlsloan Member

State:
    Kansas
    My outboard is worn out and just wondered if anybody had any input on which way to go 2 or 4 stroke, i do mainly lake fishing and hunting with a 18 foot jon boat

2. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Hi Darreld, I switched from a 2 to a 4 in 2005, and IMO I gotta say the 4 stroke is the best thing to ever happen to outboard engines. I've got a 90HP Suzuki, and its so quiet sometimes I'll forget its running. No smoke, No adding oil, or forgetting to add oil, No vibration,... I'll probably never go back to a 2 stroke unless I come across a hell of a deal on something.

3. dlsloan

dlsloan Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hi Ray, thanks for the reply, are there any Suzuki dealers around Topeka?

4. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I don't know anything about Topeka,..There is a couple here in Wichita.
    I don't thing you could go wrong with any major brand these days.

5. flatheadcat4u

flatheadcat4u New Member

State:
    Westmoreland, K
    your so right about them being quite but i under stand there not as fuel efficent as a 2 stroke :cool2:

6. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    There is not a Susuki dealer in or near Topeka. I think that Rock Creek Marina has a guy that will work on them but they do not do any warranty work. A few guys that I know that have Susuki motors are very pleased with them and take them to Missorri somewhere to get worked on. I can get you the name of the place if you want.

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Darreld. Got a 4 stroke 40 and a 9.9 Mercs hanging on the back of my Lund. Have no complaints about them. Can't follow me by the oil slick any more. And ya can't here me either. LOL Waiting to see the others opinion.

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Got one of each.
    2 stroke 85 HP Yamaha, had it 15 years, starts and runs like new, motor never been touched, not even for plugs.
    4 stroke 60 HP EFI Mercury, had it 4 years, same as above other than a couple oil/filter changes.

The Mer is super quite and smooth, burns very little gas compared to the Yamaha 2 stroke gas hog, 2 strokes love gas. Starts at a touch of the switch where the 2 stroke has always been slow starting when cold.

I feel the 4 stroke will require more service by the time it gets the age of the 2 stroke... but don't know that for sure.

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have a 90 E-Tec 2 stroke on the new boat we got back in the spring. And I do like it. Its not as quite as the 140 Suzuki 4-stroke was. But it does weigh a lot less then a 90 Suzuki would have.
    And being I was going with a 90 HP Tiller motor. Weight was for me an Issue. So I went with the E-Tec.
    Now would I go back with one again? Not sure if I would not not. Its a great motor. Not as quite as the 4-strokes, but does not smoke. And runs great, and also fast out out of the hole. The boat its on is rated for 150 with console. But only a 90 with a tiller handle. So its under rated. But the 90 E-Tec does well on it. Not a speed demon. But will get up on plan fast and does good for me.
    The new Optimax from Mercury or the Evinrude E-Tec are hard to beat.
    There quieter then the old 2-strokes. And in some cases lighter then some 4-strokes. I have burned less then a gallon of oil this year. I use the 100:1 E-Tec oil. Its not cheap. I think it cost me $37 per gallon and I bought 4 gallons as at the time I did know it was going up.
    With 2 people in the boat and both livewells (Both big wells Lund) and fishing the current at Pickwick dam for 5 hours. I think Bam and I may have burned 2 gallons of gas. And that is drifting down 300 yards and then back up again. Motor always running.
    Or run 9 miles down river and then back on less then 3 gallons of gas. And remember this is on a boat that should have 60 more HP on it.
    So if the E-tec weights a lot less then the 4-stroke and weight is an issue. Think about going that way. If not look at the 4-stroke. There all great motors.
    Also the E-Tec starts first time each time. No matter if you have not been fishing in a month. Also if you are done for the winter. It takes 1 minute to have it winterized for the winter.
    Pete

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I failed to mention, all I ever do to winterize:

I top off the tanks, add the required amount of StaBil, run the engines for a few minutes. The 2 stroke Yamaha was winter stored in the water for the first 10 years.

11. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    On the contrary, I bet I only use half the gas I use to use in my old 115 2 stroke, but honestly, I haven't compared it to modern technology 2 strokes.

4 strokes are heavier,.. in the 90 hp class I think its about 100lbs or so. The smaller the motor, the smaller the weight difference. The size of boat would probably be the main factor. Depending on how much motor you want, you may be better with a 2.
    I'm real fond of 4 strokes, but I wouldn't be afraid of any of the NEW motors, 2 or 4, but be prepared to cough up some big money for either.:eek:oooh:

12. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I get about twice the mileage on thje 4 stroke

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    This subject has been discussed many times on here and my advice to anyone considering purchasing a new engine is go to the websites of the engine manufacturers and read up.I will say this.IF your experience with 2 strokes is the older carb or DFI versions then discard everything you know about 2 strokes and reload.THERE IS NO COMPARISON!!!!!!THe new high pressure injected 2s are outstanding.I have a Navy boat crew here and we operate 7 boats between 21-27 ft.ALL have E-Tecs on them and we have had no trouble at all.I personally run a 200hp Optimax and wouldnt have any other engine.I can choose any engines I want for the boat crew or myself and those are my choices.The new 2s dont leave an oil film ,are quieter than the old ones and get BETTER gas mileage than equivalent 4s over a broader rpm band.Thats right better.They are also lighter and have better low end torque for a better hole shot.If you take your 4 back to the dealer for its scheduled maint you will suffer sticker shock!:big_smile:If you are not maint oriented the the E-Tec is for you.The E-Tecs have earned the highest CARB ratings of any engines including 4s which is a heck of a statement about thier emissions and cleanliness.Again get what you want but do NOT compare old generation 2s with the new ones.:smile2:

14. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Jim couldn't of said it any better! The new DFI 2 strokes (all of them) are great! Good thing about the Mercs if you have any trouble you can find a dealer anywhere. I have a 115 optimax that have put around 500hrs on from Dec 2006 and it has been great. I have it on a 20 foot Seaark jon and have out ran a 22 foot Seaaark with a 140 4 stroke. Fuel is good I have been getting around 6 mpg. I have had 2 four strokes (one I still have and both have been trouble free. Which ever way you go it will be better than a carb 2 stroke!

15. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    AMEN

16. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

Dayton, I bought a new 15 HP Yami 2-stroke last year and probably went overboard winterizing it by using Stabil AND Seafoam. 10 years, that's amazing; no problem with the water pump impeller?

In 2004 I bought the Briggs & Stratton 5 HP 4 stroke for my itty-bitty Gheenoe (110 lbs). I was never happy with the power but the gas mileage was outstanding. I LOVE the power and speed with the Yami, gas mileage is OK, I run WO alot, might get 10 miles to the gallon.

17. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Actually had the motor 15 years. No, never had a problem but probably get a pump impeller next spring. May be a little misleading, others probably use their boats more.

18. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    We have ran both on our bow fishing boat.Both have there +'s and -'s.4 strokes are WAY quieter but WAY heavier and start better in the cold.2 strokes have WAY less parts to worry about breaking which means less repairs and weigh alot less.I am running a 2005 johnson 50 horse 2 stroke now and love it.I say buy whatever you can afford and just take care of it.Both are good.Like everyone else has said,the newer 2 strokes are great motors.