2 stroke outboard restricted lakes?

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by AllenM, Jun 10, 2006.

1. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I was told that Lake Shasta has a restriction and only permits 4 stroke engines, but I've been unable to find anything to confirm or deny this on the net today. I was also told that 2 other lakes up here have similar restrictions. Can anyone tell me if this is true of Shasta Lake, and what other lakes it applies to please? I may have to start looking for a 4 stroke motor for my boat if this is the case. :crazy:

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Can't help you with Shasta, but the rumor I have heard, and cannot confirm, is that is will soon be illegal to use a two stroke on any Corp of Engineer lake. Hope not, as that eleminates a lot of fishing water.

3. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    That would make everyone who fishes there buy new motors! Thats a fad I don't want to see. Would all the wave runners be ban then?
    Bill

4. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Well, "just in case", what is a reasonable price to pay for a new or for a used 15HP 4 stroke outboard?

5. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    Allen there are more and more lakes with these bans in California. Lake shasta is restricted. I have not read this personally but have a family member that fishes tournments there and was talking to me about it. The good news is Black Butte is not a restricted lake and that is the heart of your fishing.

6. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Yep Shasta is restricted and a lot of other waters are restricted. That is why it is hard to buy a 2 stroke in cali anymore with the exception of a certian few. One day the whole state will be 4 stroke only. So I would recomend starting to save up and buy a 4 stroke.

7. AllenM

AllenM Guest

LOL! That or some new oars, huh?

Well, I talked to my dad and he told me that when he was young and lived in Redding, he used to take a 12 foot boat similar to mine out on the Sacramento river with a 2hp outboard! ROFL!! Told me it could barely move against the current, but he'd run it up river for about a half hour then drift fish his way back down to the ramp. I guess that tells me I aught to be able to take my 9.8hp out there with no difficulty, LOL! Good news at last!

8. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Hey Allen I can really help make your boat go better. We can tie it up to the back of my ranger z22 just dont mind the rooster tail though :big_smile:

9. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I'll have to pass on that offer, Mutt. I'm not looking for "faster" as much as I'm looking forassurances that I won't be swept down river without enough power to get back to the ramp, LOL!! :confused2:

10. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Sure is hard to get a direct answer on what lakes specificly ban 2 stroke outboards. Lake Tahoe for sure, thats where it started. Also, most of the bay area lakes and Santa Clara have restrictions. What I got from the Gov. pages is it's a lake by lake basis rather then state wide.
    http://dbw.ca.gov/TwoStroke/TSFAQ.asp

11. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Thanks for the link, even though as you say, it don't say much. I wish they would compile a list of waters that have set specific regs banning older 2 strokes to go along with this page! They don't mention Shasta, but I know they have that restriction, so God only knows what other lakes aren't listed... It would sure suck to haul a boat 150+ miles only to find out it's not permitted on the water you intend to use it on! Not always easy to find out who to call in order to find out before you head out either! :sad2:

12. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Being nosy . Who decides to restrict the lakes? What criteria do they use?
    How much notificaton do they give? Ihave heard the FEDs are planning to ban 2 cyc's in 2008 or 9 Here in the midwest. I don't now to believe it or not. A boat dealer friend told me.

13. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    it is comming there will be the day all 2 strokes will be banned. They are talking cataletic converters on lawn mowers here dont be suprised if it happens back that way too. I fly radio control they have been talking about restictions on them too.
    Allen call the parks and rec dept for the area you want to fish and find out if they allow 2 strokes or not. It is a lot cheaper then driving all the way to find out you can use it.

14. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    thats a shame. i currently am a memeber of a handgun site as well, and the guys from there call california a seperate country in the united states. so many stupid laws and regulations.

15. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Boy, howdy!! They sure got that right! I've moved out of Cali a few times and for one reason or another wound up having to come back here... When I moved to Las Vegas 2 years ago I thought I was done with Cali once and for all, but it seems I can't escape it's gravity or something! :crazy: At least now I'm living in a nicer part of the state again.

16. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Don't feel bad guy's we have some close to my house that you can only use a TROLLING MOTOR:crazy: No 2or4strokes allowed...big fine.

17. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Must be pretty small lakes!

18. Fishnhuntforever

State:
    Northern California

We have a few of those as well they are harder to get around but still have great fishing.

19. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Which lakes do we have like that? The only thing I'd heard about was the old 2 stroke restrictions at Shasta and a couple others. By the way, how's your buddy's dog doing?

20. Fishnhuntforever

State:
    Northern California
    Paradise lake is one of them. I think de sablo is also trolling motor only. Usually any lake that people get there water from is trolling only. You are not allowed to swim in paradise lake and you can't use live bait. His dog is doing just fine I called the next day to see how she was doing. Did you get anymore fishing in over the holiday?