2 Stroke or 4 Stroke?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by JPritch, Mar 27, 2007.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I'm back in the market for a boat again (long story, will post the whole thing when some sort of resolution, or verdict:lol: , is reached between myself and the dealership).

The boat I was getting had a 4 stroke 60hp Yamaha on the back. Shopping around again, I've now found two sets of identical boats, but one has a 50hp 2 stroke and the other a 50hp 4 stroke, both Yamahas.

Pros/cons? I will be running almost exclusively in fresh water, would like to perform basic maintenance myself, I baby my engines, and long-term reliability is key since I hate service bills!

Thanks for the advice everyone.

2. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Two things to keep in mind.
    Although newer two strokes are currently allowed on waters in Ca. it wont be long before that is changed. And as California usually leads the nation on pollution controls, you should be aware of what is likely coming your way.
    Also the gas mileage of 4 strokes is much better than 2 strokes and they do not require oil mix, so operating costs are lower.

3. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    The difference in sound (as well as gas mileage) is my main reason for a 4 stroke. I would get the 4 stroke! I have a 4 stoke Mercury and love it.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Before the Urban legends multiply let me weigh in a little.Saying a 4 stroke gets better gas mileage is one of the urban legends.Many of todays 2 strokers such as the Mercury Optimax,E-tecs etc are just as fuel efficient as the 4s.In some applications better depending on the rpm range and load.The E-tecs have been awarded the highest level of enviromental cleanliness awards. and are satisfactory for California.2 strokes generally have better torque and hole shots and top end speed.They are not as quiet although the new ones are much better.Mercury has supercharged its 4s, the Verados, to close the torque gap.4s generally weigh significantly more than 2s although that gap is closing also.Carefully research the engines you are contemplating so you can make a wise decision.Many good tests are available from the websites of popular boating magazines which have compared these engines against each other.The gap between the engines has closed significantly since the first 4s appeared on the market so blanket statements cant be made.One good result of the envirionmental regulations is that 2 stroke technology has been completely re designed with tremendous reductions in pollutants and increases in gas mileage.2s are generally cheaper than 4s and you might be able to get 60hp instead of 50 for the same $$$$$$.Choose wisely :smile2:

5. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I replaced a 25HP Evinrude 2 stroke with the new Mercury 25HP 4 stroke on my smaller boat. Gas mileage seemed to me to double and I don't recognize any difference in speed (no speedometer). What I didn't mention was when my boat is launched and I hit the starter key it cranks and is ready to go without all the coughing, shaking, and smoke from a 2 stroke (and noise). Also, when I go fishing and then go the next time, I don't have to figure the exact amount of oil to add to new gas (such as 4.3 gallons) . I would chose the 50HP 4 stroke over the 60HP two stroke every time. I also enjoy being able to hear what someone is saying.

6. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well, i would get a 2 stroke. Reasons are, less expensive repares than 4 stroke, and lighter than a 4 stroke. I have a 2 stroke 60 hp yamaha and i love it.:cool2:

7. Snake Charmer

Snake Charmer New Member

State:
    Ca/Nv/Az
    4 Stroke all the way!!

8. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    There's no point in comparing older 2 strokes to 2 strokes made in the last year or two. I have a new Optimax and it probably gets about the same gas mileage as my truck. There's no mixing of oil, excess cranking, coughing, sputtering, or spewing gas and oil. It fires on the first crank, makes very little noise and gets to WOT with a quickness. They both have their place, just depends on what you want.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Now Guys keep in mind that the 4 stroke is not a new kid on the block. Me myself will use 2 strokes as long as I am allowed to. I have many reasons and like jim said research it before buying it.
    This is one of the older four strokes and the noise was lighter and it still didn't last on the market in relation to the 2 stroke.

10. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    The boat I just purchased new, was a package deal that came with a 50 HP 2 Stroke Merc. I have not used it yet, but do know it mixes the oil and gas automatically. I think I will be just fine with it.

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Travis what I am saying is I have no doubt your gas mileage doubled.If your old engine was a carbeurated 2 stroke and you bought a new 4s that would be like comparing a Ferrari to a VW Beetle.If you compare the new 2s with the new 4s, different story altogether.What I always try and prevent is the promulgation of the statements like "4 strokes get better gas mileage than 2s".That is not a correct statement across the board or even close comparing apples to apples.I feel we as the BOC owe our members the best possible information when they request it,so they can make informed choices.:smile2: If you get a chance check out an Optimax or E-Tec 2 at a dealer, they are direct fuel injected start at the turn of the key,no figuring oil mix the onboard computer does it as well as adjust the fuel mix for temperature etc .No shaking, sputtering, coughing etc.Virtually all of the problems of the older 2s have been solved in the next generation.I speak from experience I have a Navy boat crew here at Camp Lejeune and we have one Optimax and 12 E-Tecs from 90 hp up.:smile2:

12. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    As I said, I know nothing about about the "new" 2 stokes but offered an opinion based on my experience. I have a 200HP Mercury (oil injected) 2 stroke on my big boat and when I need to replace it I will find out about the Optimax. Thanks for your information.

13. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
  14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The only thing that worries me about a 4 stroke is durability.
    There are alot of old 2 strokes from the 60's, 70's, and 80's out there being used. The verdict is yet to come on the 4 strokes.

We do know the rebuild cost on a 4 stroke will be a heckuva lot more then 2 stroke.
    And a 2 stroke has alot fewer moving parts to wear out or break.

At this point having talked with Bobpaul who has been to an E-Tec school and folks like Jim that deal with them on a military basis Im inclined to go that route.

4 strokes are nice while they are running no doubt, I just dont think its the economical way to go for the long haul.
    A year ago I thought much differently.

15. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Just curious but where are all the old 2 stoke lawnmowers???

16. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I got one of each. Both bought new, Yamaha 85 hp 2 stroke and Mer 60 hp 4 stroke.

I've had the 2 stroke 13 years, never done anything but change case oil a few times and add Stab-Bil at the end of every season. It's always been a little slow cold starting, fuel hog and noisy. My first boat motor (in the 60's) was an Evenrude 15 hp 2 stroke, I used it for many years.. no problems.

I've had the 4 stroke for 3 years. It starts at a touch of the starter, hot or cold or after 6 months of not being run. It's very quite and burns very little fuel. It came with a 5 year warranty and the 2 stroke came with a 2 year warranty.

I feel that down the road the 4 stroke will probably require more maintenance but I'd never buy another 2 stroke.

17. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Firt thing, Iwouldn't buy a darn Verado. way too expensive and way too many moving parts. That motor is a double overhead cam with a timing belt and all. You ever seen a car bust a timing belt. You bend valves and basically overhaul the engine. 2 strokes have way less parts, no camshaft and if cared for, last forever. My 50 ELPTO Merc. is pretty quiet and you can't beat the reliability. It's always started and never give any trouble. I almost like having a carb. instead of fuel injection. No electronics to mess up. Working on trucks all day has taught me that simplicity is the best route whether you get a four stroke or 2 stroke. Good luck with your purchase!

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I would guess that my 4-stroke Yamaha 25hp uses less than half as much gas as my 1988 2-stroke Mariner 15hp; and it's unbelievably quiet, compared to the 2-stroke. But it is heavy! Feels like I've got an extra person in the back of the boat with me.

19. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I bought a 75 hp merc 4-s about 18 months ago. Have been happy with it. Went 4-s because I wanted to be legal anywhere I decided to go. The only drawback I have found is the weight. As far as the extra parts, I been driving 4s vehicles for a long time and have found that with proper maintenance that is not a problem.

20. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey Joshua, that Yamaha 50 hp 2-stroke is not new generation. It is a very good engine and will be very easy to work on but it will not get the good fuel milage that the Yamaha 4-stroke will get. The only 2-stroke 50 hp that will be as good on fuel as the 4-stroke Yamaha will be the Evinrude E-Tecs. The E-Tec 50 hp will probably be lighter and faster than the Yamaha 4-stroke. All that said, I don't think you can go wrong with any of these engines mentioned. They are all very good engines. I would make sure you have dealer support in your area for whatever brand you chose to go with. Good luck.:0a22: