2 Stroke Oil Opinions

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by LittleRiverBigFish, Aug 10, 2007.

1. LittleRiverBigFish

LittleRiverBigFish New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Curious what brand/type of two stroke oil everyone is using in their motors. Given my recent debaucle of the mystery blown powerhead, I don't want to have the same thing happen with my new/old motor.

I have been doing some reading and opinions seem varied between using a good TCW-3 oil or some of the synthetic blends (XD-30, XD-50) or even full synthetics like XD-100. The synthetic blends and synthetics contain detergents which are supposed to clean out deposits, which I can see as beneficial especially in an older motor. At the same time, I've heard cautions of using them for that same reason on motors with a lot of hours on them- the detergents might knock enough crud loose that it will plug other parts of the system up.

My "new" motor is a 1988 Johnson 30 hp. which appears to have been well cared for. What do you think, traditional two stroke oil or a syn-blend, or full syn?

2. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Bought a new Yamaha 85 HP in 93. Have always used Walmart's finest, (Supertech). :cool2:

Motor never been touched, other than gear oil change a few times and always add Sta-Bil every winter. Starts and runs like new. Can't get no better than that.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Go to wally world and get some wal-mart tech that olefin has mentioned. While there get you a can of sea foam and add some to the fuel about an ounce or two to every tank and run the dog like it is on a hot trail.
    I have a 1975 85 h/p evenrude and that is all that old girl gets and runs flawlessly for me.
    If you want to add stabil you can but sea foam has a good carbon getter in it and will stabilize the fuel for set ups to.
    Synthetics are alright I suppose but to me it ain't worth the cost.

4. dnighty

dnighty New Member

State:
    IN
    79 evenrude 115 i have only used evenrude johnson oil with at least 91 oct.
    I have run the crap out of it for years with no problems.

5. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have been using honda 2-cycle oil since I bought a honda generator!! Dont know if it is better but have had no problems. My father-law swears by 30 weight non detergent says its all the same!! But to scared to try it!!:tounge_out:

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    First!It ain;t the same!Get you a MSDS sheet for both and you can show Daddy Law the difference.Every manufacture is required to provide them.Most can be found on line. All the old outboards along with the other 2 cycle engines used 30 wt.non detergent oil.My little Evenrude Ranger used 1/2 pint to the gallon or 16-1.I was once told by a Mariner factory rep.that you could use this oil and ratio in their 50-1 motors for a short time in a emergency,but only at moderate speeds and loads.This was in the late 80's I believe.This might be what your father in law is going by.What is still amazing to me is that the plugs and a gallon of gas seemed to last forever.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

7. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Any will work. However "Lawn boy - Ashless" is the oil I trust to keep them running & clean. Over the years running many different types of two cycle power tools while running a landscape Co.,I seen lots of tools go down due to over heating. I have never had that happen to onr while using L.B. oil in it.

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Oops, I should have said, Walmart SuperTech Outboard 2-Cycle TC-W oil.
    (Exceeds ALL warranty requirements for ALL makes and models.)

As I have for the pass 51 years on vehicles, I go by the owners manual on oil... mine recommends any outboard 2-stroke engine oil with certified TC-W.

And regular unleaded 86 octane.

9. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I use the Mercury 2 -stroke oil w/ the ashe additive-I bought a new Yamaha & the dealer recommended it over the Yamaha oil.Go figure:smile2:

10. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Jimmy I would be willing to bet that the oil you use & the oil I use are the same,just sold under different brand names.

11. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Its not the Quick Silver brand by Mercury-its actually made by Mercury Outboards.It runs around $30 gallon,but i've had been using the same gallon for 2 yrs.

12. maxcain

maxcain New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have always used the mercury 2 stroke oil

13. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have used full synthetic and blends and regular good old Merc oil in my 1999 90 hp Merc. The full synthetic seems to cause it to smoke more. My 90 has oil injection so one just adds oil to its gallon tank. I think if one uses synthetic all the time one would adjust the oil mix down.

My nephews, in their 2 cycle dirt bikes and 4 wheelers use some fancy synthetic from the bike shop. Its like 30 dollars a quart. But they use less in the mix and them toys scream.

I would use what the manufacture recomends. I don't know how to adjust the oil mix on my 90 and would be real scarred to try, as I don't want to by a new 90hp. Mine cost a little over 5k in 99 new. They are probably around 7k now. I'm just a poooor boy, and cannot afford that.

They put a new Bass Pro in close to me, and they have one heck of a selection of outboard oils, and at real good prices in gallon jugs.

Hope this helps, JMHO

:big_smile::big_smile:

14. LittleRiverBigFish

LittleRiverBigFish New Member

State:
    Iowa
    First off, thanks to everyone for their input. Apparently I may be overly cautious on this issue or putting a lot of stock into the latest and greatest thing (i.e. syn/syn blend oils).

I posted this same question on another forum and thought I would pass along some of the insight from those responses:

"I work in an oil refinery and can tell you for fact that there is NO difference in any of the 2-cycle oils you see out there other than additives, the only difference in outboard and weedeater oil is the TCW-3 additive we put in it. I run plain air-cooled 2-cycle in my mercury 25hp. We package quicksilver in 3 different brands of bottles[​IMG] It don't make a hill of beans[​IMG] When you get into difference is when you go to a 4-stroke or oil injected..."

Quote:
    Amsoil 100% synthetic. I had the chance to buy a case of one gallon jugs @ cost so I jumped on it. I would have stuck w/ the Yamalube if that has not been the case. I have used Amsoil in 2 stroke motocross bikes in the past and was very impressed with its results. Amsoil is extremely clean buring oil but its expensive.
    "Again, is it better, YES. Is it cost effective, not for me. I would venture to say that I put more hours on an outboard than any 2 non-commercial users on this board. When I ran my 2 stroke, I would average 6-8 gallons of 2 stroke oil per year. At 50-1, that is 300-400 gallons of gasoline in an engine that burns about 5 gal per hour. I have yet to have an oil related failure. The oldest powerhead for that 2 stroke is about 7 years old, same compression now as when new. So, at what point does the quality of lubricant become cost effective??? I'll stick with the Quicksilver oil. I have run my 4 stroke for the past 2 years. Use nothing but Castrol in that engine."

Sounds like I'll just stay the course, if Super Tech is good enough for Bubba, thats a good enough endorsement for me!