# 2 Rod complete,2/6/08

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Flamekeeper, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Just finished, my 2nd rod complete,,:wink:
    B85 Mega Mag cut to 6'6" Cobalt Blue.

6 1/2" rear handle & 8" front Blue Hypolon, fighting butt cap

5 1/2" butt wrap- (with Shark decal), and All guide under-wraps..are as
    #A Nylon 245 Royal Blue / #A HT 9000 Metallic Gold inlays./ straight

Over-wraps.#D 245 Nylon Royal Blue / #D 521-9037 Ice Blue Metallic
    inlays./straight

Tiger Wraps, 5 1/2" above butt wrap to # 30 guide,and 4" above #30..
    1st set threads #D Royal Blue / Silver Metallic..
    Flipped rod over and ran 2nd set of threads in reverse also
    #D HT Ice Blue Metallic,with Purple as pull out etc..

Guides ,ATC BCUE,Titanium Nitride Casting,30,25,20,16,12,10 tip 10
    1 coat flex coat Light, 1 coat High build..Leveled etc.,.Flamed it real good and she is a piece of Glass.,Man this thing looks good.

The tiger looks almost like a marbling pattern,I haven't seen one like it .When I burnished it I tried to form small rings by pushing out in a circle patterns tight,and then in the center of them I even pushed out a little, to form a circle inside a circle...

Hope you like it guys ,She s a beauty.

Attached Files:

2. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    the next 3 guides

Attached Files:

3. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Another of the # 30 and a couple more

Attached Files:

• # 30 -2.jpg
      # 30 -2.jpg
      File size:
      35.5 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      29 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      26.4 KB
      Views:
  4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
  5. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    For some reason it will not upload the pic of the tip,?::crazy:..I'll try to get it up for you, because its the last of the guides.

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      26.7 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      25 KB
      Views:
    • shark4.jpg
      shark4.jpg
      File size:
      20.7 KB
      Views:
  6. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Going to give it another try..

Attached Files:

• tip.jpg
      tip.jpg
      File size:
      18 KB
      Views:
  7. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    I have been inspired.

Flamekeeper thanks for posting all the pics.

Having looked at yours and the other custom builders on here I have decided to take up rod building. Just bought Tom Kirkman's book "Rod Building Guide" . Also will be taking a class with master rod builder
    Mark Crouse - The Munich Rod Man sometime in March.

8. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I could'nt wait to see what it look like sitting atop its new home..
    RNC 60 RECORD High Capacity..can hardly wait to feel the pull of that big boy!:smile2::smile2::wink:

Attached Files:

9. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    a couple more of the reel

Attached Files:

10. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Its looking real good I like the colors you chose. I hope it will bring you many of fish. Keep up the good work.............Two thumbs up .....

11. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    NICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE:wink:

12. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    Flamekeeper

How do you like those Alps reel seats?

And have you tried the Alps Triangle?
    Im thinking about putting a Alps on a Harrison blank, but not sure if I want to go with the centra-lock or triangle.

13. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Kenny, Looks like you done a real good job on that rod. Thanks for Sharing.

14. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    :crazy:Very good looking craftsmanship!!How long have you been making custom rods?

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    where do you get your blanks and supplies? i really want to try to build one. looks great. im pretty artistic (why i took up taxidermy) and think this may challenge my ski:big_smile:lls.

16. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

Started studieing the art of rod building and design last spring,Set up business accounts and orders and built my first rod last month, Its posted here 1ST custom completed. this is my 2nd..and i have 15 more b85s and 15 coming soon,I'll be busy for awhile.LOL.

Starting on my next one as soon as the handles arrive or I finish the cork handles I have already..So I can get started..

cats4uandme,,,PM sent,,,You'll pick it up guick I beleive..:wink:

BUBBA,,, Yes the triangle seats are prefered also.

17. rswell2

rswell2 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I wish I had the time and especially the patience for something like this. Very nice.

18. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    hi kenny! you do awesome work. looks like the craftmanship is top notch!
    you should build up quiet the reputation as a custom rod builder! keep up the great work.lol beautiful job on the rod.:wink::big_smile:

19. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Good looking work you have done there. How many hours on average does it take to do a custom rod from the bottom up?

20. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    prostreet,,,
    I never kept the time on quality, but you got me thinking..since this is my second rod..which took a little longer than the first one because of the difference in the Butt wraps and tiger-wraps. let me think..

Marking Butt cap,Finding out where to place your reel seat ( quick tip..placment- butt section 2" past your elbow grab rod blank,mark the blank just above your hand,,thats where your reel seat should start..)Prep & install rear handle, let set, / Tape blank , mix epoxy & Install reel seat, let cure overnight,then install for-grip and winding check.
    24hrs counting cure time...

Finding and marking the spine( BACK BONE ) of the rod, Which determines the conventional (casting ) or spinning rod you want to build,guides go on the top of the spine for casting,and on the bottom for spinning..
    Then you do some math ,mark and place ( tape ) your guides on blank and static test your rod, ( meaning you run a string Thur the guides and bending the rod by pulling down right behind the tip ,or setting the rod at a 45% angle and hooking the line to a scale that would be at a 45% angle to the rod and applying 1/2 the pound weight your rod is rated..and making sure the line flows Thur all guides smoothly without flat spots in between guides, clearing the Blank...(This is Critical and good ( best )placement means the rod does the fighting not the fisherman...So each rod would be different..)

It could be quick and then it could take some time ,,I'm a little on the picky side so it took me a little longer.You know!, It could move here, or maybe a little that way, or that way,They have to be set at their best by my standards,,thats just how I am...:wink: at lease 1hr , ( me =maybe longer..:roll_eyes:

once you get your guides where you want them ,then its the fun part of wrapping them and finishing them.(Go slow at first and it will pick up.)

By hand it took me on average for a under-wrap with 3 inlays and the overwrap with 2 inlays Per Guide 1 1/2 -2 1/4 hrs..etc according to the size of the wraps.,,12-14 hrs flex coat 1hr

Butt wraps and tiger wraps/ The Size / now thats another story all together , just guessing mine on the red one 5hrs/ this blue one 10hrs including curing time..

On average 50 total hrs to build ...That about what I have involved in hand crafting these 2 custom rods..

Heck man it took me about a hour just to figure all this out LOL:wink:.

Thanks for asking , I really wanted to know myself ,,have a great time on the water the naxt time out,Good Luck.. Kenny..